Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Should I say something about my substandard outpatient treatment program now or wait?

Notices

Should I say something about my substandard outpatient treatment program now or wait?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After my DUI arrest on Dec 2nd, I researched all the court approved treatment programs in my area. I did not like the one I went to almost 8 years ago because they crammed us shoulder to shoulder like cattle in a small room, handed us stacks of photocopied information and spoke down to us like children. The one my son went to for pot possession didn't seem to have any impact on him, so I chose the one that said it specialized in treating women with coexisting trauma issues. I was approved to go and receive credit even before I am ordered to by the Judge. (Feb 7th court date now) Anyways, I have been to 5 meeting, with 4 different counselors due to their illness or job change. At those 4 meetings, the entire time was taken up with introductions. At the end of one, the counselor brought in ice cream then let us out 15 minutes early. So far only one class has given us any education and that was answers to the test we have to take at the end to prove we learned something in order to graduate. Even that we only got a 3rd of the way through because of so much cross talk and off subject matter. That was the only class that wasn't let out early. The last class I had, the counselor kept sighing and turning around to look at the clock. All we talked about was how Christmas went, then he let us out 20 minutes early. Todays class was cancelled because they want to close down early for NYE! Apparently we will all still receive "credit" for being there. They tell everyone there that the cops in our county are out to get anyone and everyone for revenue, that they understand most of us just made a mistake. This place even allows for people with an Oregon medical marijuana card to keep on smokin as long as they test within certain levels (does not apply to court ordered clients) It's like they are the that type of parent that wants to be their kids best friend out of fear of not being liked if they discipline. Thank God I have a REAL recovery plan outside this state mandated program and it is no wonder their relapse numbers are so high! Also, if you say you aren't an alcoholic, that it was a one time fluke, they let you graduate after your ordered 90 days. If you admit to being an alcoholic, they keep you twice as long, costing you twice the money with the same indigestible classes. The only good I can find in all of this, is they test you at least 3 times during your 90 days. That keeps me accountable. So do I wait til I'm done and in the clear or speak up now and risk retaliation? I think they are all intelligent nice people, but way too laid back and unstructured. Certainly not providing the level of treatment the law intended.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Wow! Makes me wonder why bother? The IOP center I used wasn't state sponsored, it was private. I didn't experience any of what you just related. Just curious if you would be allowed to go to a private run IOP where you would actually get the help and information you need. Maybe you could ask your attorney about that.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

Yes. I think if you presented to the judge or your probation officer that you don't feel the treatment center is offering a program that would help you, and you wanted to suggest an alternate plan I am sure they would grant that.

I had mandatory mental health services as a term of my last probation. The place I was going to was pretty awful with their services. After I wound up in the hospital (not for drugs or alcohol) I asked my probation officer if I could transfer to a different program and she agreed without even a second thought.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience, but I hope that you can find something that works for you.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Nikkle,
I am fresh out of rehab myself. The one I went to was fabulous. From the sound of the one you are in...... make that call ASAP! You are getting nothing out of it and your sobriety could be at risk. This is only my opinion, of course. That place sounds like a real joke.
Britta