Notices

"medicine" ......really !?!

Old 12-19-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question "medicine" ......really !?!

Tues will be 4 weeks since this operation;
.... putting in this titanium total knee replacement, and I have to say, if ever there was a trigger to drink these past weeks, it would be with the ongoing pain assc. with this thing !?!

In the past, my occasional old standard "woe is me, I've got an effed-up knee, ...and it's killin' me right now"...as an excuse to get wasted, [temporary pain-killer] The other litany of mental crap from the past I would dredge up just further "justified" pouring some more "medicine" ....endlessly.

Things are soooo, so different today though. Not feeling sorry for myself, but really feel so grateful and "blessed' in recovery. This is (obviously) going to take a firm commitement to get my getaway sticks anywhere close to "normal"

Without the fog of liquor clouding the way, ...it's just more trudging forward !
Having to get used to (and acccepting)the slow progress, since patience has never, ever, really been part of my overall psche.

Just checkin' in on this beautiful clear full moonlit night.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Top you are one of the most inspiring people I have ever had the pleasure to of known. Even though we are internet friends (hope you're ok with me elevating our relationship to friendship without askin you ) and have never met...I am very lucky to have gotten to know you.

Thanks Brother.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Check's in the mail

Old 12-19-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to put a positive SPIN on it Top!!!!
Make my check out to Ms. Cooter (that is spelled with two O's) Brown.
I like you too!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You're going to have a lot of friends now, topspin!!

I love that you're appreciating the moonlight - it reminds me of being about 4 days sober and noticing how nice the sky looked for the first time in years...... I'm not a patient person either, and have had a few sessions of "invalidism" due to back trouble. Also broke my wrist and couldn't work for 6 weeks..... (or do much else).

I hope you get lots of books or do some new things on your computer - maybe take up knitting! With your attitude I know you'll find a way to make this time a special one.

Sending prayers and hugs and hoping you feel better really, really fast!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go Topspin!
Six months into sobriety I had a serious motorcycle accident and had to have 5 hours of surgery and multiple plates and screws in both arms. The pain was excruciating but I also found that I could get through it. Comparatively though the pain was mild compared to the mental and physical pain I endured when I was drinking.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for a great post Top

Yeah life is not always easy - still - but I have a really different appreciation these days about what really matters

D
Old 12-20-2010, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Ditto what Ghostly said...but only if I get a check, too.

You are doing great! I do have a question....were you concerned about overdoing pain meds? I tend to overdo every damn thing...so I just wanted your thoughts on that.

Just think of how slow your progress would have been if you would have been sitting on the couch drunk.

We're so glad you're here, Top!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I sure hope you're feeling pain free soon! It's things like this that really show us how strong we can be.. I'm really proud of you, thank you for sharing this!!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My sponsor has had several knee surgeries in recovery, and is having another one soon. She also went through cancer in recovery. It's amazing the things we use as excuses to drink or use. We feel so validated because we are in pain, physical or emotional, and think no one can understand. Once we find a healthy outlet in recovery, we find people like us, who can support us when we are down.

I had every justification in the book to go out and get high. Then I met a lady who had stayed clean through the murder of her youngest son. If someone can stay clean through THAT, I have no excuse. None. at. all.

Topspin, thank you for your message of recovery. We newcomers need all the inspiration we can get!