Notices

Buzz Kill...

Old 12-19-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Buzz Kill...

One of the many added perks to sobriety is FOOD! I am making a rib eye..twiced baked potatos and green beans. I had to work today and usually I am off so I was thinking about what would make me happy..turns out..this makes me very happy. In my last couple of years drinking..all I could think of was my alcohol stash. I didn't mess around..alot of times there was no room for food in the fridge. I looked at food as a buzz kill. Man was I missing out!! It is just one of the many things I am grateful for in sobriety! Today..is a VERY good day! AND JOE CREE...It is a Sunday too!!! Usually our dreaded day!!
Old 12-19-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It tastes better too, doesn't it?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes!

I agree! When I stopped drinking, I started having whole wheat toast with honey for breakfast, along with coffee made with freshly ground beans, and I thought it was amazing!!
Old 12-19-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds very tasty Mscooterbrown and it won't give you a hangover!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Y u m m y!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ms, you're right, it was insanity trying to manage around the buzz factor. It got really bad in recent years, so that I was only eating dinner 50% of the time or less. It's definitely nice to eat again.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That sounds delish!

I ruined my appetite with the drinking. I ate simply to manage the alcohol...getting drunk too fast...better eat something to pace myself. Whatever was fast and handy.

My appreciation for food has not returned yet...not sure if its gone for good.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I always thought of food as a buzzkill too. Especially days when I was low on cash I would purposely not eat to get the most out of the booze I was going to drink. Tonight I was able to enjoy some spaghetti and garlic bread!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just a natural "buzzkiller" .....for sure.

Always remembering what a financial windfall I have today
........anytime I'm walking through the grocery store.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
That sounds delish!

I ruined my appetite with the drinking. I ate simply to manage the alcohol...getting drunk too fast...better eat something to pace myself. Whatever was fast and handy.

My appreciation for food has not returned yet...not sure if its gone for good.

I used to do this as well...BUT I would do it..then forget. Put the milk in the cupboard and the cereal in the fridge. Find unidentifyable food in the microwave. I do hope you get your appetite back..It is a new experience for me!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Yea for food (and your meal sounds delicious!). I made chicken salad tonight and enjoyed eating a ton of it. Eating not only is something I now look forward to, but it helps kill the urges too. I found that when my blood sugar got low in early sobriety (I'm not diabetic, just don't always eat lunch), the first thing I wanted was a drink. Now my body doesn't interpret it in terms of alcohol anymore. Just good yummy food......
Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is a true story..it is one part of HALT that I understand..eating will pulverize a craving in no time at all. Usually I will do several small portions in a day - I think that really helps especially in early recovery!
Now ..we must work on my anger..I don't get tired much. Lonely..I spose that creeps in when I let it.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown View Post
Today..is a VERY good day! AND JOE CREE...It is a Sunday too!!! Usually our dreaded day!!
Yes, I'm happy you found something to look forward to and a new enjoyment on this dreary day >>> Today wasn't so bad for me, since I am officially on Christmas Vacation, so although I will still check work stuff tomorrow, I have this wonderful feeling of freedom.

Sunday Blues will be on hold until at least 2011 ----- but your story of twice baked potato and rib eye made me hungry right now
Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown View Post
I do hope you get your appetite back..It is a new experience for me!
with all the money I have been saving lately, I have been treating myself to really delicious fruit salads for desert. tonight my wife bought some pomegranates and added it to the fruit bowl.. wow, super tasting stuff!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Pomegrantes look like one of those foods birds eat..I like the juice..but to actually buy one? They look like too much work.

Fruit salad sounds wonderful! Makes me wanna hit the grocery store!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

pomegranates are actually quite easy to de-seed, yes it takes a bit longer than an orange - but the end result is a tart crunchy fruit. very good addition to the fruit bowl
Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You know what's funny? I used to wish I was the kind of drunk that would stop eating and just drink. For me, food was the only thing that allowed me to drink so much and keep functioning. I would drink at night and into the early morning and I would eat "to soak up the booze". I do agree with MsCooterbrown, in sobriety I have found my love for cooking. I made steaks, salad, and veggies tonight!! So much better than pizza and god knows what else!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Still trying to figure it out

In the last few months I noticed eating less to feel the buzz more. How stupid is that? I see a lot of other people were doing the same. It helps to know I am not alone.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah this is a pretty common thing..Plus even if you eat..you don't absorb the nutrients ..alcohol kills them.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Great thread! Anna, can I join you for breakfast.
Besides the food I have also started to enjoy choosing drinks when I am out with friends. Cinnamon-lemon tea, a hot chocolate, or maybe pineapple juice?
Before I would just order a beer or white wine! How boring and monotonous was that!

veee