Notices

Making that first big step

Old 12-09-2010, 12:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Making that first big step

From today, I have made the choice to stop drinking altogether and this is why I have just joined this great site. I am scared though...tomorrow morning, I'm seeing my Doctor for my Liver function blood test and I'm scared that I may have cirrohis of the liver...due to dull aching pain in my upper right abdomen and is driving me crazy...almost in tears thinking the worst outcome, how ever I would love the support of others...knowing that I'm not alone.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have my support, I've only been sober almost 2 weeks and I feel much better. Try not to worry so much about the medical aspects or liver problems, hell, it could just be an ulcer, pains, etc. The good thing is that your seeing a doctor and they will give you the best info. Just listen to them and keep your mind set on sobriety. I hope this helps and I'll pray for you tonight. Keep us posted and take care. Talk soon........
Old 12-09-2010, 12:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MyTrophy

Good on you for making the sensible choice and seeing your Dr.

I hope your results will be better than you fear they might be - mine certainly were, and I drank daily all day for a long time so try not to worry too much about what ifs.

Welcome to SR
D
Old 12-09-2010, 12:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoshinJ View Post
You have my support, I've only been sober almost 2 weeks and I feel much better. Try not to worry so much about the medical aspects or liver problems, hell, it could just be an ulcer, pains, etc. The good thing is that your seeing a doctor and they will give you the best info. Just listen to them and keep your mind set on sobriety. I hope this helps and I'll pray for you tonight. Keep us posted and take care. Talk soon........
I will inform you of my results tomorrow and thankyou for caring... hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Binge drinker

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi MyTrophy

Good on you for making the sensible choice and seeing your Dr.

I hope your results will be better than you fear they might be - mine certainly were, and I drank daily all day for a long time so try not to worry too much about what ifs.

Welcome to SR
D
I'm a 42 year old female, how ever for me though...I didn't drink every day and when I did...binge drinking was my style, 1 drink wasn't enough for me unfortunately and I use to have two double bourbons within the first hour...then two more doubles in the second hour and so on. I drank like a fish for years on end and now I'm 42 and feel ashamed for abusing this toxic poison...the worst thing of all is, I didn't give a minutes thought what booze was doing to my liver and other organs... having a good time and getting a buzz out of alcohol is all that mattered to me when I did drink.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family! I hope your blood tests come out alright and that you can stay sober. It's worth it! I've been sober a year now and my whole life is better.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You'll be ok, but you need to stop now, you might not have another chance at recovery
Old 12-16-2010, 04:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...than never

I had the liver pains too and they went away completely after about a month of no drinking. I think my liver was really tired. Sometimes when I think about picking up I just remember those pains and that alone can keep me away from the booze. To think that I used to pay good money to poison myself.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I had pain in the area of my liver.. and kept drinking (so crazy). Terrified I had liver disease, I would even check my eyes in the mornings to see if they were starting to turn yellow. The liver doesn't actually have pain receptors, it's the area around the liver that does.. and the pain (sometimes) can come from the enlargement or fluids being released from a sick liver. That pain however, is in the same area as a LOT of other organs and tissues. Ribs, gall bladder, kidney.. and a few other things I can't remember, so I hope you're getting everything checked out.

In my case, that ache went away when I stayed sober.. about a year later, however I had a gall bladder attack and had it taken out, so who knows what I had been feeling that whole time? It never stopped me from drinking, which is the sickness of this addiction.. let us know how you're doing!!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have made the decision to live a sober life.

Hopefully your medical tests will turn out fine.