Notices

Never done anything like this...

Old 12-07-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trying.

Never done anything like this...

I'm new here and I figured it was about time I start helping myself instead of making excuses to get upset and drink more. I started drinking when I was a teenager, but never truly had a problem until after I turned 21. Once it became easy for me to get I started drinking more and more every day. It started a few a night and before I knew it I was drinking at least a 6 pack everynight sometimes all the way up to 18 a day. I have always worked hard and never missed work because of my drinking so I kept telling myself I wasn't an alcoholic because I worked hard a deserved to cut loose. I also have severe back problems and the pain is horrible sometimes and drinking seemed to be the only way to stop it. Over the last three years I ruined my relationship with the girl I love, spent thousands on beer, and now jeopardized my job. I went drinking last week and drank to much at a sales outing and made a foul of myself. Not to mention I blacked out, and don't remember the last 3 hours of the night. I feel so sick to my stomach that I let my life get to this point... Mid 20s, living with mom because my girlfriend kicked me out and moved, and now throwing my careers down the drain. I finally have realized I have a problem and I'm here to turn my life around. Its sad because when I get upset about everything that's gone on I want to drink. It's been 48 hours and luckily I'm doing ok. I just hope more bad news doesn't come out of last week. I hoping I get a pass as I am trying to get help.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Flguy

I think many of us fell into the cycle of drinking for stress relief or self medication - I also drank when I was happy, or bored, or sad...ended up I mostly drank cos I was awake.

You're wise to stop the cycle now. You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here.
Are you thinking of face to face support as well?

D
Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family! YOu'll find lots of support and good information here. It's good you're giving up drinking at such a young age. You won't have a lot of regrets and bad memories when you get older.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kristin

hey welcome
this site is great and has helped me
so much
I am 96 days sober today
you can do this
i hope you find a meeting in your town
Old 12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trying.

Thank Dee74. I've thought about it but right now I'm feeling ok. Once I found this site it was nice to see I could talk to others and relate to them about my problem. If I start feeling as though I may relapse I will probably go. I already know the location and time so I am preparing myself. Right now I am just doing a lot of reading and informing myself. I'm just hoping that everything that happened works out with no consequences. That was s real wake up call for me. It sucks that I've already thrown away so much before I realized my problem, but if I don't start now I'll go down a road that wont be good or that I may not survive.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome Flguy!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Flguy, lots of great people here to help. Keep us posted on your journey.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ola

Similar to you my drinking caused the demise of a meaningfull relationship.

-Sucks man but any excuse to stop whether it be work related, personal, or social is better than death from this disease

M
Old 12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trying.

Well tonight I have been sick to my stomach, but I can't tell if it's from not drinking or from my nerves because of my stupidity last week. Either way, I am glad I have made this decision. I have already talked to my family and they are very happy to hear it and gave me their support.