Notices

Uae

Old 12-07-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Uae

I am on day one and live in the UAE. I am planning to go to an AA meeting tomorrow evening in Abu Dhabi-it will be my first time at AA.

I have tried to stop thousands of times by myself but last night I outdid myself and drove drunk, annoyed my neighbour again but managed to get to work this morning and I think I have got away with it but am terrified that if I drink again I will lose my job/get deported etc.

I plan to be on this forum alot for help and to stave off the boredom.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Toasty!

You've made a good choice to stop drinking before things get worse.

You will find lots of support here.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by toasty View Post
I am on day one and live in the UAE. I am planning to go to an AA meeting tomorrow evening in Abu Dhabi-it will be my first time at AA.
Cool deal and good for you. Just like on this site, there are all different sorts of ppl in AA. Some working the program, some not, some respectful and loving, some not, etc etc etc - you get the picture.

Do a lot of listening and try to find the guys who seem to have some sobriety time under their belt, are happy and smiling, and enjoy life.......and stick with them.

Find out what time the meeting starts and get there early if you can. Usually, the ppl who get there early are the ppl who are serious about their sobriety - they should be good folks to chat with.

When the meeting starts, they'll probably ask if anyone's attending their FIRST AA meeting.....just raise your hand, and give 'em your first name. You don't have to say if you're an alkie or not....you never have to say anything in AA.

Other than that.......just try to relax. Nobody there works on commission (LOL) or anything like that so it won't be like anyone should be pressuring you to believe, think, or say anything.

I'd also recommend you consider asking some of the ppl there where their favorite meetings are - which ones do they really like. It's a good way to find out where the better meetings are and to avoid some of the toxic meetings that DO spring up from time to time.

anyway.......have a good time.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey you're in the same place as me and yeah drink driving is not the best move over here...they really, really don't like it as in month in jail then adios and ban!

There is a great meeting on Friday morning in Abu Dhabi...you have some recovered alcoholics there who could tell you about the solution in AA...feel free to pm me if i can be of any help:-)
Old 12-07-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Toasty

D
Old 12-07-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. I am not too worried about having to speak as I am beyond embarassment at this point. I am worried that I won't go or get there and chicken out at the last minute.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Hey you're in the same place as me and yeah drink driving is not the best move over here...they really, really don't like it as in month in jail then adios and ban!

There is a great meeting on Friday morning in Abu Dhabi...you have some recovered alcoholics there who could tell you about the solution in AA...feel free to pm me if i can be of any help:-)
That's great. I decided to go tomorrow as I thought is safer to go asap but may go to the Friday one too.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family! YOu'll find a lot of support here.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great. I decided to go tomorrow as I thought is safer to go asap but may go to the Friday one too.
Cool the "little church" one tomorrow is a good one too...because Friday is a "weekend" as you know there will definitely be people there to talk to afterwards and actually a few tomorrow that go on Friday as well...it would be great if you could be as candid as you have been on here and you will get a lot of help there so if you have time stick around afterwards...on the Friday they have the room booked for an hour more after the meeting and its a great location...anyway you'll see what i mean:-)
Old 12-07-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks. Something that is worrying me is that I have a 2 week holiday which starts in 9 days time and need a place to go that will not lead me to drink.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks. Something that is worrying me is that I have a 2 week holiday which starts in 9 days time and need a place to go that will not lead me to drink.
what do you mean fly somewhere? or here?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Cool the "little church" one tomorrow is a good one too...because Friday is a "weekend" as you know there will definitely be people there to talk to afterwards and actually a few tomorrow that go on Friday as well...it would be great if you could be as candid as you have been on here and you will get a lot of help there so if you have time stick around afterwards...on the Friday they have the room booked for an hour more after the meeting and its a great location...anyway you'll see what i mean:-)
Thanks again. I will try and be as candid as I can but I have so many things I am thinking about at the same time like how to keep busy and what to do at xmas etc.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck with your AA meeting. You've been given some good advice already.

'One day at a time' and 'just for today' are a crucial component to my happy, grateful and contented sobriety and recovery. Don't worry about 9 days or 3 weeks from now, just make sure you concentrate on today and not picking that first drink up 'just for today'. Take it from there.

All The Best, peace.