Notices

User Names and Avatars

Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

User Names and Avatars

Awhile back there was a thread where we could explain how we came up with our User Names and it was kind of fun to learn a little about each other. So I thought I'd re-introduce the subject and add the Avatar component at the same time.

So, me first.

LaFemme, as in Cherchez La Femme, which is french for "look for the woman". Usually used to indicate that when a man finds trouble there is usually a woman involved. For me, it was about the fact that in giving up alcohol I had to find the woman I was meant to be.

My Avatars are always my paintings. I switch them around a bit based on my mood and also as a running joke with another artist on the forum. The current avatar is a painting of David Beckham, sigh. I have done a whole series of male figures, but typically I have kept my paintings here in the landscape genre.

Cheers!

LaFemme (aka Tina:-)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, wish I could claim mine's something clever but...
Old 11-09-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LaFemme, Beautiful paintings!!! and such a unique username...love it!!
As for me Loveon2legs is basically me....full of love...walking on 2 legs!!! my avatar is one from here, I have been searching for serenity for so long in my life......looking for it outside of myself....meanwhile it's been inside of me....all along...although I haven't found total peace, I'm alot closer than what I was when I was drinking......
Great post!!
Lotsa love xo!!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

"That which you do unto the least of these, my brethren, you do unto me." A reminder that I am also one of "the least of these", and it's a reminder to do good to others.

My avatar is something I found on the net that depicts what it's like to live with manic depression. (the term now is "bipolar" but to me that makes me sound like a big magnet and manic depressive describes the feelings much more accurately to me)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes, this topic is always fun...

I am NOT so imaginative....Fandy (short for Fandango) is my 3yr old beloved Siamese mix boy, his picture is my avatar...I never get tired of looking at him.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sarah...I did not know who your Avatar was:-) Thanks!

Fandy, I love looking at him too:-)

Least, I forgot your reason for using "least" and I always wonder about it when I see you post because I see you as someone so much more than "least":-)

SailorJohn...what type of sailing? Your avatar used to be someone different, I am guessing this is a photo of you?

LO2L...I <3 your name!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Murray4x5 because, well, my name is Murray and I use a large format format camera (made of wood with brass fittings, accordion bellows, tripod, and a cape over the shoulders) that takes 4"x5" negatives.

My avatars are prints I've made from my wanderings up here on BC's north coast, otherwise known by the catchy 'Great Bear Rainforest', or 'Land of the Spirit Bear' which is a pure white genetic variation of the Black Bear.

My and LaFemme's changing our avatars at about the same time has been a hoot. Little did I know when I changed mine to "sensually undulating fungi" that hers would be her Beckham painting

Murray
Old 11-09-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm simple - Kmber - nickname 2010 - year I got sober. lol.

Others are way more creative and insightful....I just needed something I would remember damn it....LOL.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi La Femme,
I always looked closely at the art but never imagined it was your own!
Beautiful! Wow you are talented.
I just used a combo for my name.

(Have a nosy well-meaning control freak relative who has checked out this site and is an "expert" on all things addiction and recovery! I am not sure they have not figured it out but what can you do?)

Obviously, "The Thinker" is a wonderful piece which signifies thinking more than before. I also like "La Pieta", but that wasn't available LOL.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dismember

Well, my name is not Isaiah. When I came here at first I wanted to to use a traditional name, and I happened to be reading a lot from the book of Isaiah at the time. Plus, I think it's a pretty name.

My avatar is my celebrity look-alike. Let's me be anonymous with a small glimmer of representation.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here you go Hollyanne! It's one of my favorites! Did you know that in order to make an adult Jesus fit in the lap of Mary, Michelangelo had to scale Mary so that if she were to stand up she would be over 7 feet tall!!!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Isaiah! I like your signature line as well:-)
Old 11-09-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

I am actually a goat with a large keyboard so I can easily hunt and peck at the keys with my hooves. I like to play the guitar, but the pics I have of me playing the guitar are just too goofy and would invite a lot of comments on their own, and I don't want to have to explain that the guitar-playing goat is really me over and over and over, so I just found this picture of a dude playing a cool guitar and used it for my avatar.

Oh, don't buy it? Sigh, fine, here's the story I probably made up for your benefit:

My biker name is Goat. For some it's probably because of the facial hair. But for me it's more of a reference to Pan, and you may take that as you will. Pan (god) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Goat
Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Oy. I'll fess up and say I was plastered when I registered here so I don't remember why my name is what it is I know I was trying desperately to be incognito (I'm clever like that ). I think it's like places I've traveled to or something? Each letter is a different place?

I was such a freaking trainwreck.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Goat...I always liked Pan...when I lived in Italy my friends and I would search out statues of Bacchus and take photos praying to him...needless to say we were very mature...lol!

SSIL...I always wondered about your name...now I know...sort of:-)
Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks La Femme, It is beautiful! I can't understand how people (yourself included) can create something so beautiful.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

Mine is short for a guitar I have had for about 20 years, I cant even get parts for it anymore so I dont use it much. A black fender stratocaster 6 string (blackstrat6)
My avatar is myself and my significant other, Dessert2trees When we were at a Godsmack show last summer.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

my user name, pretty boring. . .aehm is my first, middle, maiden and married initials, and the nm is for new mexico, where i live.

My avatar, well, its me.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Kerbcrawler..fes up time it seems, well whilst living major rural,out in the sticks locations,
there was often a need to find the nearest watering hole..in order to replenish..therefore driving being the only option..however many roads,having single track, no midline markings...was rather nececarry to drive at low speeds, and hog the kerb..whilst it was available..of course much of the time it turned to grass verge..but better to veer that way..than onto oncoming traffic..ahh the not so good ole days..
Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

my screenname, augustwest, is a character in the grateful dead song wharf rat. august west was a blind and dirty alcoholic homeless man who told his story in the song, and vowed to "get a new start, live the life i should.."

a sober group of deadheads named themselves the wharf rats. they have meetings at shows.

my avatar is my favorite musician trey anastasio of phish. unlike jerry garcia, trey was able to get clean and has been in recovery for years now. he is truly one of my biggest heroes.