Notices

Did you gain or lose weight when quitting drinking?

Old 12-24-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by startingagain View Post
I'm trying to figure out which way this thing will go (and hoping for another benefit of quitting drinking!) I'd like to lose about 10 pounds, and clearly alcohol has a lot of calories (not to mention the crap I eat when I'm drunk and don't care). However, I notice I've given myself permission to eat more junk during the day now that I'm "saving" calories from alcohol. Just interested what your experience has been?

Quitting drinking was the only way I was ever going to get my bod back, and I did. It took a lot of work,but I lost 30lbs and am now back to my toned 150. Alcohol and fitness just do not mix. You can totally lose 10lbs, and gain a whole new life by getting sober.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I realize this is an old thread.

However, I too have gained about ten pounds over my 24 weeks of sobriety. I had a wicked sweet tooth for the first month or so after quitting. I used to track all of my food with a phone app, which I stopped doing when I quit drinking. I felt it was most important to stop the booze. I drank rum and diet coke, so it wasn't like I was drinking 2000 calories a day like some have stated. Time to start back up with the phone app I guess.

I will take a few extra pounds over drinking every day!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I can relate, when I stopped drinking my weight didn't change for a while and then increased slightly, sugary food was probably the culprit, plus for a long while I had no physical energy to do much other than come home from work and then crash, so exercise was out of the window.

But after a few months, the weight began to shed, my eating adjusted, I had more energy to go out for walks, I wasn't doing anything too strenuous it was just natural due to less intake of calories by cutting out the alcohol.

That then has been refined yet again with an increase in exercise and a healthier diet, an overall healthier lifestyle, more sleep, more fluids, less caffeine, etc etc!!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm a big time "foodie" cooking and eating are part of my habitual routine and absolutely affects my weight with or without drinking being factored in. I have lost 20-25 lbs over the course of the last 12-18 months though and it started with removing the drink factor and making a few minor changes to my portions and type of dishes I prepare. But the first few months I added 5-10 lbs by eating carbs and ice cream like I was starving. After that wave passed I have slowly but steadily returned to a fairly normal weight for my height. Within my Dr.'s BMI range at least. I'm targeting 190 but currently at 203 but I'm 6-1" so not sloppily obese like I felt at 230+ and sluggish.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I was a binger so when I quit I didn't see much of a change. I lost about 10ish but the real difference was my complexion. I can tell there's a big difference in my fine lines. It's great! I posted recently that I guy asked me if I was turning 30... I'm 35!!! I love it!
Old 10-02-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I stayed about the same, semi - deliberately. I was satisfied with my weight so I just ate accordingly to maintain it. I was eating more though - less cals from beer etc left more room for food.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Only on day 11, so don't think I've changed weight much, but am getting the uncomfortably bloated abdomen feeling that 121313 posted above a couple of years ago. I've also seen mention of this in a few other posts here and there. It seems to hit me even without eating particularly large amounts. Maybe intestinal flora having to adjust to the new, alcohol-free environment?
Old 10-02-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I always gain weight. Always. Its a real struggle