Notices

what do you do?

Old 11-03-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I make sure I am in a spiritiaul place before attending a place, then I just say no thanks. Thankfully I don't really hang around those dudes who are like "sissy take a shot" anymore. Moving forward......
Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
BKP

I feel ya

Holidays are a B*tch for me and others i am sure. I am almost 2 yrs sober and i still avoid the holiday antics as i call it, my family are drinkers and i tend to leave and come back and leave and come back to avoid such antics around the holidays, between the cat and i we are insync leaving, coming and going but for me it is the only thing to stay sober, safe and sane is to leave and spend time alone or with my wife when the tough times may be coming. It is not selfish it is smart.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bellakeller View Post
I usually say "If you want me to take a nap under your car, you can give me a drink".
HAHAHAHAHAHA...that's excellent.

Seriously though, I agree with everyone who suggested simply saying "no thank you." Period. No explanations, no excuses, no apologies. I think the briefer the response, the less likely you'll be challenged on it.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Love all the advice here - Ive been having the same thoughts today as the office party has been mentioned at work and has to be booked by the end of tomorrow - bit of a twist on the dilemma as its a fairly new job, I have mentioned looking forward to a drink at the weekends before and been out for a team building meal and had wine with them (amazingly just a glass and a half as I was driving). I know I shouldnt have been worrying about something that is weeks away but I found myself getting stressed and bad tempered after work because I thought what am I going to do? Reading all the above has really cheered me up - I wont worry about that until it happens and if necessary when it does I may have to tell a white lie and say i'm on antibiotics or something - still feel the need to have a little back up plan in place but will do my best to try not to think so far ahead which has probably been alot of the reason for my previous relapses. I started the day so positively today and nearly ended it on a low - now I can start tomorrow the same way but with one more sober day to add to the 3 so far (wow haha). One thing I will be planning ahead is to check in here for enlightenment when Im feeling low about it all. Thanks to you all x
Old 11-03-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Same thoughts here. I think:

No thanks, I'm driving
is a good one - abd no one will question your sanity.

Not quite sure though what I will tell my family, they're not alcoholics but raise a glass at xmas - and will be surprised that I don't.. I might just let them speculate that I am trying to get pregnant... (although I can't pull that one off for many more xmases)

vee
Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I have many friends that don't drink or smoke. They raise a glass of juice or a soda and toast along with the drinkers. They don't think twice about that. Funny but at our Holidays I was the only one drinking alcohol, and only one of three that smoked and we did that outside when around non smokers.

I think the only ones with a problem will be us, not the others unless they are alcoholics and we all know that misery loves company.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

thank god for this site and all you wonderful people

Without this site, it would be so much harder. I just loved reading all your responses, it's been a burning question in me, the what do others say thing.

I'm so proud of us all