Notices

First Anger, Then Laughter

Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dismember

Talking First Anger, Then Laughter

Trying to straighten up my laundry and as I'm picking through clothes out pops a wine cork.

First thought is just that the universe is taunting me with physical evidence of my recent stupidity. And frustration with myself.

Then I laughed, because it's just a cork. And "cork" is a funny word. Just try to say it in a sexy voice.

I've got no chance if I let corks upset me.

corkcorkcorkcorkcorkcorkcork
Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks fopr the laugh, I needed that!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Isiah,

Thanks for the giggle! I don't know, but I see it as the Universe affirming your decision to put a cork in it. LOL As in "put a cork in me, I'm done." LOL

Love,

Lenina
Old 11-03-2010, 02:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

"Put a cork in it." YES! I like that.

After I tried blaming the universe, it occurred to me that this is because when I get deeply drunk I'd always try to bury evidence in dirty laundry like some crazed, boozed-up squirrel. I'm sure that's how it got there (I wasn't drinking in the hamper.)

Can't say that the straight 48 hour drinking binge was terribly funny, but... I don't know. One thing I've found in my recovery is I need seriousness and humor. When I don't have that balance I'm either hopeless or apathetic about my drinking.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. I could use more humor with my sobriety.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

I needed a change of attitude. My moods can spin like a game show wheel and I didn't like how scared and anxious I was yesterday morning. It's not good for me. Fear is a terrible state for me to be in even if it's fear of drinking. Fear of drinking usually just ended up with "let's just get this over with."

I figure no one has yet to tell me that anxious sobriety or somber sobriety is any better than cheerful sobriety. So if I just get to pick, I'm going to go with cheerful.

I'm not a Buddhist, but I've always liked how Buddha found his enlightenment. He tried following a bunch of monks who starved and beat themselves up, thinking that'd bring them transcendence. He realized after a while the only change in him was that he was hungry and smelled like a carcass. So... I forget exactly how the story goes. He finds his answer sitting under a tree. And for centuries Buddhists have had this (often) chubby, smiling image of a guy who, in their view, gave one of the greatest gifts to help humans from their suffering.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cork

Hi Isaiah,
I am from County Cork in Ireland. Got a problem with that?
Are you laughing at me? What did I do?...
OK, just kidding. Seriously am from "Cork" though.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

AFter I truly got sober I kept finding empty wine bottles in odd places. I looked at it as the detritus left after a glacier recedes. I just recycled them and was glad I no longer was adding to the pile.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I think it is a sign to 'put a cork in it'!

Sometimes, little things like that sure put things in perspective.

"A little humor is relished by the wisest men".....Willy Wonka. (Sure hope I got that quote, right....or the joke will be on me!)
Old 11-03-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Funny, I golfed for the first time since I got sober, on the first tee I reached in my bag to get a tee and guess what I grabbed? About three empty Coors lite cans, just laughed what a drunk I was and got over it.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

something funny...I was getting ready for bed the other night...puttin my pj's on..looked under the bed for other laundry..and found a brandy bottle...with about an ounce left in it.. I was soo shook up about it...thought..omggg hurry dump it out...so I opened it and dumped it out in my bedroom garbage..and tossed the bottle in there too. Went to the bathroom brushed my teeth..then went to bed....Im laying there..and there is this strong smell of brandy.....Im thinking..ok..this is NOT good!!..sooo tired...had to get up and go take garbage out!!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I figure if I'm sober, I have every right to be positive and cheerful.

speaking of the "boozed up squirrel" concept...I found $20.00 I had *hidden* in my underwear drawer...some weird thing I used to do to budget myself, hide $$ to later be used for wine.

I now have an open "slush fund" with my few extra shekels...currently saving for either a new washer/dryer or a new couch.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

I love this thread. I used to drink champagne regularly, and those corks make awesome cat toys. So every time I popped a bottle (at least two a week, often more), I would toss the cork on the floor for the kitty to play with. I swept up a rather alarming number of them this summer when I cleaned out my apartment before moving, let me tell you!

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, when I was dry-mopping the floor (different house) -- a champagne cork rolls out from under the coffee table. My first thought? "Huh, guess I'd better save that, since the cat won't be getting any new ones."
Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the laugh...but stumbling upon reminders of our non-sober days can be a disturbing time....proud of you that you were able to tackle it with humor. I'm still trying to say "cork" with a sexy voice....LMAO!!!

Jomey
Old 11-28-2010, 12:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
"Put a cork in it." YES! I like that.

After I tried blaming the universe, it occurred to me that this is because when I get deeply drunk I'd always try to bury evidence in dirty laundry like some crazed, boozed-up squirrel. I'm sure that's how it got there (I wasn't drinking in the hamper.)

Can't say that the straight 48 hour drinking binge was terribly funny, but... I don't know. One thing I've found in my recovery is I need seriousness and humor. When I don't have that balance I'm either hopeless or apathetic about my drinking.
"some crazed, boozed-up squirrel" HA! UGH. That's where I hid my acorns. I swearer I had the hearing of a dog when the front door was being open by a boyfriend - a sound which would trigger the opening of the hamper, free throwing mini wine bottles, cans, corks, bottle openers. Wow.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dismember

Ahh... the squirreling away of bottles and paraphenalia. In an old apartment I lived in there was a medicine cabinet in the bathroom with a few lights above the mirror. There was a small recess behind those lights. I'm not sure but I believe that I left half a bottle of scotch behind there when I moved. If those bulbs ever burn out the new tenants may discover an extra bonus when they go to change the lights.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I do think that squirrel reference if pretty funny. I need humor in my life, helps fill the void. The noise of a front door or car door closing would make me jump faster then if some one jumped out from a corner. Where ever the closest 'stash' spot was, I hurled it into the hiding spot that I thought was so clever, but then easily found.

I was not a good squirrel!
Old 11-28-2010, 01:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jls22 View Post
I do think that squirrel reference if pretty funny. I need humor in my life, helps fill the void. The noise of a front door or car door closing would make me jump faster then if some one jumped out from a corner. Where ever the closest 'stash' spot was, I hurled it into the hiding spot that I thought was so clever, but then easily found.

I was not a good squirrel!
Or how about the distraction game: When your signifigant other is walking towards the hamper (or hiding places) and you pretend there is a fire in the kitchen, or that your ready for "romance" right then an there anything to keep'em from opening that damn hamper. OMG. I wince. Im newly sober so its kinda just now sinking in.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I suppose my drinking did become unmanageable ;D
Old 11-28-2010, 02:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Things I've recently found that were squirreled away: an empty beer can in my underwear drawer, a few beer bottle caps in bottom of my hamper, an empty vodka bottle behind old clothes in the corner of my closet, and a half full vodka bottle in a box with my old baseball card collection in my closet.

I have no recollection of ever putting any of these things where I found them.