Notices

New to the site, not to the addiction

Old 10-30-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

There are organizations that offer free rehabilitation services, the first that comes to mind is the Salvation Army.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You could ask your doctor (a doctor) about help getting thru the first few days of w/d. There are meds that can be given for a short time to lessen the w/d symptoms and make it safer.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

If you find you are drinking after 9 pm, then I don't see why you can't make AA meetings. Most of the ones I know of start at 8, a few at 7 or 9. If you are able to schedule your drinking, you can schedule meetings.

And I doubt you are the only alcoholic in your neck of the woods. If you let people know you have a transportation issue, you can find folks who live nearby and ride together. I know a lot of people who say they got as much out of riding with other alcoholics to meetings as they did out of the meetings, themselves.

Just wanting things to be different isn't enough. You have to actually DO stuff to make it different.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
You could ask your doctor (a doctor) about help getting thru the first few days of w/d. There are meds that can be given for a short time to lessen the w/d symptoms and make it safer.
That is definitely something I should look into. Do you by any chance know on average how much they cost without insurance? I'm pretty sure I'm starting to go through w/d because I have cold clammy hands, palpitations that come and go, anxiety, depression, and I have a very hard time thinking clearly as well as I feel like im in some kind of weird fog that doesn't go away except when I drink
Old 10-31-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A work in progress

No idea what the meds would cost.

Sounds like you are getting w/d symptoms that are par for the course. If you start feeling extremely shaky or your heart keeps racing, best to go to the ER. Withdrawal CAN be life-threatening, and it's impossible to predict how any particular withdrawal will go.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi AJ

Noone here can tell you what meds the Dr might, or might not, prescribe for you and your particular set of circumstances, clinical history and general state of health - much less what they might cost.

We have a no medical advice policy here.

If you want answers like that you'll need to bite the bullet, be examined and seek professional guidance

D
Old 11-02-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well I'm off to see a doc later today, wish me luck
Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good deal. Be completely honest with the Dr about how much you drank, how often, and any other legal or illegal drugs you have been taking - presciption, OTC, etc.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I just got back, and quite frankly that was the most honest I've ever been with a doctor about this issue! I thought she was gonna be rude or judgemental but she was really nice and very supportive. She put me on anti-anxiety pills and a light form of generic xanax (or however that's spelled) until a behavorial health clinic can see me. So begins my long road to recovery...
Old 11-02-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome and great job on taking that very important first step to recovery. Honesty with your doctor is crucial. I wish you all the best here, keep reading and posting!!