Notices

Day 2 not good

Old 10-28-2010, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 not good

Got very little sleep last night, felt more like I was resting than sleeping which was really strange. I expected that so it's no biggie.

The thing that is bothering me at the moment is that this morning when I got up I started heaving and lots of 'spit' came up a few times then I started shaking. Didn't last more than a few minutes but last time I quit I don't remember that happening.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks. C
Old 10-28-2010, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yea, having the shakes is part of it. like I said in your other thread, if you can stay at a rehab even a few days, it really will help. you will be going through a lot of physical changes, and being alone doesn't help. Best wishes.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, the first 3-4 days will be kinda rough and shakiness is part of it. I haven't gotten much sleep either.. day 3 for me. I toss and turn so much that I now have a headache.. ugh it will get better.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can't afford to do rehab privately and the waiting lists on the NHS are too long. I'll be back on the booze before I even got a place. Just going to have to grit my teeth and get on with it.

Thanks for your post.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chan View Post
Can't afford to do rehab privately and the waiting lists on the NHS are too long. I'll be back on the booze before I even got a place. Just going to have to grit my teeth and get on with it.

Thanks for your post.
I know it may feel like you just can't do it, but you CAN! Keep busy when you have those thoughts and after a couple of minutes they will go away.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know I can do this, knew it wasn't going to be easy but hey that's life. Just want to feel 'normal' - patience isn't my greatest asset!

Well done getting to day 3, I'm not too far off day 3 but it seems miles away. One day at a time.....

C
Old 10-28-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're doing great! From my previous experience with this, the first 4 days are hard (4 being hardest). Staying positive and coming here helps tons!!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Chan

Detox is no joke. I started feeling much better around Day 5 and my health kept improving as time went on. It just took awhile for my body to get back to normal.

Stick with it.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I know I can do this, knew it wasn't going to be easy but hey that's life. Just want to feel 'normal' - patience isn't my greatest asset!

Well done getting to day 3, I'm not too far off day 3 but it seems miles away. One day at a time.....

C
I was very impatient, too. I still am to an extent but in sobriety I'm discovering an ability to live in the moment. Something I never thought I'd 'get'. I think as alcoholics we're always looking for the Next Big Thing right? The end of the glass we're drinking, etc.

Not that I'm saying you should enjoy your detox or anything. It just made me think.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Detox can sometimes be troublesome for some folks.
If you're worried about any aspect of your health Chan, don't hesitate to see a Dr, OK?

D
Old 10-28-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the posts. Nice to know other people are going through the same so can understand where I'm coming from.

It really helps reading through everyones posts, makes me realise I'm not alone. Thank goodness for this website!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Chan,
Hang in there everyday gets a little better. I right there with you. I'm in day 4 and slept maybe 2 1/2 hours. Still a little shaky. At least now I can make it through the night without jumping out of my skin. More than likely you have already made it through the worst of it. You've come so far in three days. Everyone is different, but I find that I return to a good nights sleep in 3 to 5 days. Its unfortunate to go back when thing just keep getting better. If you're concerned maybe see your doctor. You probably know this can be very dangerous and can be fatal with some people.

Hang in there.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job on day 2! Any chance you have someone who can come and stay with you for a couple days so you aren't alone?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Kargy

What do you mean by 'jumping out of your skin'?

C
Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Chan,

Day 5 here and a similar story to yours. Not really slept yet (but I have never slept easily) BUT starting to feel so much better physically and mentally, despite the tiredness.

It passes, worry not.

SM
Old 10-28-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Kargy

What do you mean by 'jumping out of your skin'?

C
That uncomfortable, restless, sweaty, circular thoughts, feeling that has me jumping out of bed 8 times a night to have a cigarette or to get Motrin and water in those first couple of days. Just praying to fall asleep. Maybe it's just me, but I doubt it.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sobermax

Day 5 - brilliant! I'm the same, always had sleeping problems. I always used that as my excuse not to quit as I can't function properly without sleep. Stupid really as wasn't functioning with all the booze.

All I do when can't sleep is get out of bed (can't stand all the tossing and turning) watch tv, read, do some knitting. Only problem with watching the tv is there are so many alcohol advertisements lol.

Wouldn't you just know it, I decided to pack in the booze and an office licence opens just opposite my house. It has this big flashing sign saying 'open'. Won't be going anywhere near it!

C
Old 10-28-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chan,

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Just remember that you never have to go through this again!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Chan,

Been thru it, 17 days for me, days 1-3 were evil, I shoulda seen a doc but I am insane so I did it by myself, first 2 days I would dry heave in the mornings, start with a cough and just violently start dry heaving, nothing come up but it felt awful, in my first meeting on day one I sweated like a pig and was shaking, driving home was rough my hands were shaking on the wheel. Day 3 I asked my wife to just stay with me and watch me, I sat on the floor with a blanket covering me because I would burn up and then get freezing cold, day 3 I actually slept good, day 4 was the turning point! I actually started eating and feeling better, starting on day 5 I started feeling great! Every day since is better and better. Now I feel like superman! Working out at the gym like a mad man eating like a king and sleeping like a beer in hibernation. Actually having dreams and it feels good man.

Just get thru this and the feeling will be unreal. I can't believe I feel this way it has been so long since my life and body has been this great and it is only 17 days! Sober is a blessing and I am truely greatful. Sounds crazy but right now I am glad to be an alcoholic because I cannot and will not drink and life is actually a real life now. Hang in there Chan! It's worth it!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Chan, hang in there! Withdrawal can last anywhere from 12 hours to a week (sometimes more). I also had issues with sleeping. I am on day 4 (again) and this time around I was shaking and puking only 5 hours after my last drink. Then the next day I felt shaky and fuzzy-headed, and still a bit nauseous.
Usually for me, withdrawal is a one-day affair. However, this time I've gotten sick with the flu, so I still feel crummy. I've been drinking lots of herbal tea.