Notices

One week sober...

Old 10-17-2010, 01:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week sober...

...and feeling much better. I'm sleeping instead of passing out; things seem clearer and more in focus; the time with my baby son is just as tiring but of real quality.

One thing that has dawned on me is that I need to be ruthless with my friends. Most of my friendships have been forged in drink which means they are with other drinkers and tend to focus on bars. I'm not in a place where I can take myself off to bars and drink soft drinks. It may be that I never am. And I can't risk the peer pressure: I've always been susceptible to that. So it looks like I'll be cutting myself off from some good people.

Last time I was sober, for a year, I made running and exercise a focal point and joined a running club. Time to show my face there again (just as soon as I can run 6 miles without stopping). Sure some of them like a beer after the club run but that's not the main purpose of the meeting and it will be far easier to resist the temptation when hot, sweaty, out of breath and in need of home, food and a shower.

Hope y'all are having a great and sober weekend!!
Old 10-17-2010, 02:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're feeling better

Most of my latter friendships were formed in bars and around alcohol too UR - I had to change my life, and sadly none of those guys felt comfortable enough to stay around a teetotaler...I've been able to re initiate some older friendships tho - and of course make new friends - so it's all good - I'm sure you'll do the same ultrarunner

D
Old 10-17-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober week! Staying sober does take some changes but it's so worth it. Stay true to yourself.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

And, it's good that you recognize what could be a potential problem, and are finding a way to work it out. I had to make some big changes in early recovery too, and it really is worth it.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Dear Ultra...

Congrats on one week sober. Making changes for continued sobriety are so worth the effort. My very to you...and, welcome to SR!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats ultrarunner!

I need to start running again too. I know that it will be a great step forward for me. It is amazing how great you feel after a good run.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ineedtochange View Post
Congrats ultrarunner!

I need to start running again too. I know that it will be a great step forward for me. It is amazing how great you feel after a good run.
Thanks and best of luck getting out there again! I'm just back from one now and the funny thing is it felt better than my last run before I fell off the wagon. Even though I've visibly gained weight since then. Strange thing the human body.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

You know that people, places and things all must change.
Besides a runner's club, something you can do ea. day is go to a meeting.
Find one you can run to and from.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Keep moving forward...Well Done...
Old 10-18-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm not in a place where I can take myself off to bars and drink soft drinks. It may be that I never am. And I can't risk the peer pressure: I've always been susceptible to that. So it looks like I'll be cutting myself off from some good people.
Good for you for recognizing where you are and not trying to push yourself into a situation where you are at risk. I know how hard it is to give up friendships with people who just don't fit into your sober life. The only consolation is that there will be other "good people" coming into your life at some point, who won't have any unhealthy effects on you!

Last time I was sober, for a year, I made running and exercise a focal point and joined a running club. Time to show my face there again (just as soon as I can run 6 miles without stopping).
Just don't use not being able to run that far yet as an excuse for not going -- go and ask for their support while you are training. (I know for me, I am always waiting for X, Y, or Z to be "perfect" before I do A, B, or C -- which sometimes means those things never happen....! Hopefully not true for you.)

Congratulations on your sober week! Way to go!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I had been going out to bars and bars and bars and not drinking, forcing myself to go and try to have a good time, my sponser then told me that "it's ok to feel bad" going to a bar is like getting into the boxing ring with your nemisis and not being able to throw a punch. If my friends want to hang out they know where to find me.