Notices

RE: Who Has Been Your Greatest Supporter?

Old 10-01-2010, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question RE: Who Has Been Your Greatest Supporter?

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

By the grace of my HP and people
like you here in SR I haven't found
it necessary to pick up a drink of
alcohol since 8-11-90.

For that and you I am truely grateful.

I've been reflecting on this question
all day and decided to bring it here
to Sober Recovery and see what
you guys had to say about it.

From birth to now do you have
maybe one person or persons
that have been by your side
thru thick and thin? Someone
how has been your biggest
and strongest supporter in life?:ghug3

Parents, Grandparents, Relative,
best friend, a spiritual leader
like a Priest, councilor, stranger,
neighbor, pet or a Higher Power?

This is someone who has rescued
you out of trouble more times
than one. Someone who has
comforted you in good times
and bad. Someone who almost
knows you better than yourself.

For me, I can't think of anyone
who has stuck by me thru thick
and thin except my HP, my new
spouse and pets.

Others have either turned on me
or could give a sh*t about my
life have just moved on in life.

How about you?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My dad. He may have been a huge contributer to my drinking, he was a drunk and came from a family of many drunks and he was at times very abusive when I was growing up; however, he quit drinking 26 yrs ago (he's almost 88 now) and throughout my recovery he's been my best friend and biggest supporter he's the only person I've ever known who "really gets me".
Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's nice to have a buddy beside
you for life. Like a best friend to
travel life with.

Of course there are marriages
where husband and wives are
there thru life sharing for better
or worse, sickness and health
and so on.

As a child i didnt get the family
support like I needed except from
my dad.

My first marriage I relied on my
family teaching, morals and values
to guide me along as I raised my
children.

I suppose since I built a wall to
separate myself from emmediate
family, I gained an attitude of
I can do everything by myself
and dont need help from anyone.

And I did it too.

I entered recovery and have done
it myself with help from and
awesome recovery program.

That includes going to AA meetings,
coming here to SR, my online
recovery family, my new spouse,
and fellowship of AA with Faith
and guidance from Above.

I mind,... but don't really mind if
I dont have any other support. I
guess I enjoy being my own boss
since I don't do well with others
telling me what and how to do
things.

I'm sure if im not doing well,
mentally, physically, emotionally
then I'll know and feel it and use
the knowledge to fix it.

My new spouse is a good source
of support as well since he's also
in recovery. It's nice to have him
close at hand to travel with.....

Especially when we take our first
long motorcycle ride to the Grande
Canyon the end of this month...Yeeha..!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
redblue

My mom is a from a family with a history of problematic alcohol abuse. Her father a life long day in and day out canadian war vet drunk. Her brothers also having issues with alcohol. To my knowledge she has pretty well been teetotal her entire life. To me this is inspiring. Oh and her mother(my nana) much the same, who also never drank except when she was quite young still in England,she came to canada as a war bride stayed sober and raised my mother and her siblings through some tough times.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

My greatest supporter in my sobriety is SR.

My husband drinks. Hell, the entire family drinks.

If not for this place.......
Old 10-02-2010, 01:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just another day...

I get support in different ways from different people.

My husband has been there thru thick and thin, when he is sober I can count on him for anything and I do know he loves me, again when he is sober. When he drinks I cant stand to be around him. I think its part of why I picked up drinking as much..if I could pass out before he did, i wouldnt have to fight with him.

My bff is always there. I have been there for her phone calls at midnight to tell me that after 30 years her parents are getting divorced and she has been there for my 2am phone calls of the hubby and I are fighting, come get me...friends for about 15 years..met through a job.

My son is at that age that I can do no wrong..however its slowly going away so this is the best time to quit drinking so I wont be that drunk embarrassing mom. He still likes to hold my hand and enjoys our time together even if we are just playing skipbo.

My dogs love me no matter what. They will always sit with me, and the st. bernard will lay on me, so I feel the love.

My mom, I used to say was supportive. But past situations in our lives and my childhood are coming to surface more and more and the only way for this to make sense is to tell it..I was molested by an uncle, moms brother, when I was a little girl..around 9 yrs old. I never told because I didnt feel safe. I didnt think my mom would do anything. So I just stopped going over and being around him which was hard cuz he lived with my grandmother. So many many years later..Im 33 maybe, I tell my mom. She was in denial. Called all her siblings. They all went to counseling to see if i was telling the truth. how nice. The uncle that my cousins and i call chester now, said i lied to take away from the fact that i was having marital problems. so not true. My only aunt said i should have just shut up about it but instead I broke the family apart. My 2 other uncles believed me 100% and both went to their daugthers. 2 of my cousins had run ins with chesters friends...no intercourse, but unappropriate actions. So this put a burner on the "family" fun. Which means I was no longer invited to the holiday "family" dinners and neither were my cousins. My grandmother had passed a few years before I brought this up. I was also told that my grandmother was molested by her uncle when she was a young girl growing up in Italy. He was a famous priest and what he wanted he got. He would stay with her family and they gave her to him. Nothing was ever said and the family stayed together..that is what they wanted me to do. Pretend it never happened. Which I could not. So now a days it is just my mom and her siblings. Non of us cousins do anything family unless it is just with our parents only. My mom still has contact with chester. She loaned him money and was still buying her weed from him. She had surgery about a year ago and called and told me to b nice to him that he would be up there. I blew up and told her if he comes up there then she will not see me or my son again. That it was BS. Im her daughter and she needs to worry about me and not him. Look what he did? so its ok? she cried and cried, dont be mean to him, he is my brother, just let me know when ur coming so i will make sure he isnt there. So I did one better and I didnt go at all. Holidays would be spent at our house. She would eat really fast then leave to go to my aunts house. They were going to get drunk and high and watch movies and eat...she would say u could come but chester will be there so im sure u wont want to go. My question was why was she going? she is showing everyone that she does not support what happened to me..

now we are 600 miles away and the holidays are coming. At least we made that easy for her. She doesnt have a job and cant afford to come here and we cant afford to go there. so she is safe to have holiday dinners with the chester and rest of her siblings. I was informed that he lost the family home he bought after gramma died. Everyone has loaned him money these past few months to try to get thru...how nice..where were they when I needed help? so soon he will be moving into my aunts place, the place my mom goes to about everyother day to get drunk and high. My aunt is a raging alcoholic that does hair. I had a few bad hair colors due to hangovers...nice. My husband thinks i need to tell her if she has anything to do with him that I am done with her. Its only obvious that she still is around him. And I have already told her this and her reply was that he is her brother and i was moving 600 miles away..her mom made her promise to look after him..w/e She gave me the bull with my stepfather when i needed a place to stay..sorry about ur luck...ur just u and he is my husband and i have to choose him..she divorced a few years later and i got a sorry and money. Im sorry..ive made this so long, all about me me me..but I was trying to get to the point of why mom isnt a supporter of mine, anymore. We barely talk. She barely talks to my son. She avoids my calls and will only talk to me via facebook. She isnt working and about all gone with her savings. I had plans on taking care of her when she reached that point but she informed me she wasnt leaving her "family", thats funny, I thought I was my son, husband and myself were her family, her daughter and grandon where her family. So I guess that means they will care for her? ugh..they are toxic and its good im here and they are there. I never thought my mom would do me like that.

been working on a letter to alcoholic dad for about 6 months. We had a fight, he was drunk, got things turned around and I was the bad guy. I have found out thru my half sister that he misses me and is sorry. He is trying to be sober.So we will see where that goes..he's 600 miles away too..so its not like I have to see him. But I want to see my niece and nephew and to do that I will have to see him, eventually.

Lets see..SR theres more support. A few random friends here and there that are dealing with alcoholic husbands that are ruining their marriages..when I see them in town they remember how many days its been that I havent drank. That is nice.

and thats me and my long ass story of my supporters..sorry guys!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just another day...

redblue..my grandmother was a warbride from Italy to the US. she too was left to care for the kids while papa went off to fight. She was the sober one. Papa picked up to drinking and out of his kids they had a couple that turned into alcoholics with lots of drug use. Gramma, thru all her hard life of abuse and disappointment did not drink. She was very religious and put her life in his hands.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oddly enough, my ex-husband. I didn't start drinking until about two years after we split up. But in those two first years of being separated, I had some mental issues and had to be hospitalized several times...and each of those times, my ex either came to visit me, paid some of my household bills, rescued my cat, or even covered for me at work (I work for his company part time.)

After I started drinking he continued to do the same...I even gave him a key to my apartment so in case he couldn't get hold of me for a few days, he could come check on me. There were days when I was supposed to be working and he couldn't reach me by email or phone, so he would come over and find me passed out.

After getting sober this last time, I've posted my milestones in my facebook statuses - and when I posted "Three months", my ex commented "It better be forever. Congrats!"
Old 10-02-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My dogs' devotion to me is my biggest support. Knowing that I'm giving them the best care I can give is my biggest reason for staying sober. And my reward is seeing the love and good health shining from their eyes.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for sharing ur
own experiences, strengths
and hopes here with me and
others.

Support from my SR family
means alot to me and is much
appreciated.

Thank you...!
Old 10-02-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My biggest supporter in sobriety has been my sponsor and the people at my home group.

Also, my bff has been there for me through thick and thin since we met, but she lives far away.

My mom has been a good support in my sobriety....although she still drinks so we get along best when there is some distance between us.

My boyfriend is also an excellent source of support.

I think I am pretty blessed!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My ex husband is MY biggest supporter, too. He is my inspiration, with 30 years solid sobriety, and he is a good friend and a constant source of support.

He gave me a beautiful hand-tooled Big Book cover for Christmas last year (made by a friend of his) with my name and sobriety date engraved (lol, I BETTER not have to change my sobriety date!). For my first and second anniversaries he sent me lovely cards with one of his nature photographs (he's retired and now pursuing photography with a passion) and a loving message of congratulations.

We weren't a great couple when we were married, but I am so grateful to have him in my life.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Firstly, my mom and my dad. And my sponsor. After that there's just too many people rallying for me, for me to list! That being said, I'm sure there's plenty of people out there rooting AGAINST me. I just tend to stay away from those people these days.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Positive supportive people,
friends, family, make our
recovery a lot easier to
work on, on a daily bases.

Be proud of your own
accomplishments because
they belong to you.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My Dad, in the program also.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

SR is my only human support in my sobriety. My dogs give me lots of love but I'm not so sure about support. When I was a kid my parents bought me a horse. I always said Bradley raised me...he was always there for me in a way I can't really explain...there were a lot of family things going on through my childhood and they continue today. Thea difference is I now have boundaries with my family. Bradley died 5 years ago this week. I always feel like that was when I slid all the way into alcohol addiction.

I have never spoken about my drinking or sobriety with any family or friends.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

God!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In life: Mom, one of the most amazing people on the planet.

In sobriety: Me, I'm gonna take all the credit because I'm proud of myself