Notices

The Little Things..........

Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I love starting the morning with taking my dog for a nice long walk or hike. I also have been drinking a lot of different teas from teavana.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Does anyone else feel like they get a cavity every time they drink a regular coke? lol

I've been chewing gum, drinking coffee.. I'm on Day 5, and surprisingly, I had no cravings last night on Day 4!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've also been chewing gum, running, and writing, writing seems to help me the most.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smile

I drink a lot of water and do a lot of walking
Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

One of the little things I do whenever I want to reach for a beer is take a meat cleever and chop off one of the joints of the fingers on my left hand. ai I still have two fingers left. Thank goodness it only takes one finger to type, lol.

Just kidding, lol.

You are all doing great. Love this thread. Keep hanging tough.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

In the my first year of sobriety I ate M&Ms to keep my mind of alcohol, it worked for me of course I gained over 20 lbs but I was sickly skinny when I drank cause I didn't eat. Now going to the gym 5-6 times a week keeps me from even considering having a drink, especially when there are bars on either side of my gym and I see these people sitting outside drinking and it makes me think "what a waste" these are both "serious drinking" types of bars.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 4 and had a few tricky moments tonight.

It started with me driving home and thinking "I can't keep this up for the rest of my life...".

Then I thought' "but I can do it tonight".

So here I am, tomorrow is another day, and today is still a good one.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StuartW View Post

It started with me driving home and thinking "I can't keep this up for the rest of my life...".
HAHA. The good ole' "for the rest of my life" thinking. I used to think like that too, before I came to AA. "I'll never last. It's IMPOSSIBLE." Then I started to rack up some decent amounts of sobriety, and it didn't seem so impossible. That's the whole idea behind "one day at a time". Surely you can get through just one day, right? Anyone can do that. And that's all anybody expects of you at AA/NA meetings.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

edited because I am in the wrong thread. and I promise I haven't been drunk typing. I am just elderly. sorry.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bellakeller View Post
edited because I am in the wrong thread. and I promise I haven't been drunk typing. sorry.
HAHA. I know that feeling. It's almost like: "Hmmmmm. something's wrong here."
Old 10-01-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Peace, No More Guilt 9/28/2010

Originally Posted by Squizz View Post
I think I might do this. I really am starting to think I have blood sugar problems. If my sugar gets too low, I start to get all irritable, and tired. Yet, as soon as I drink a pop or eating a chocolate bar, it all goes away rather quickly.
You can purchase a tester.. you do not need a doctors order or precription. I have one.. because I was told I was pre- diabetic. I lowered my carbs ( bad ones) and lost some weight and it is normal now.. Get a glocous tester.. I test just to stay in check..
Old 10-01-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StuartW View Post

Then I thought' "but I can do it tonight".

So here I am, tomorrow is another day, and today is still a good one.

Stuart.. day 3 here for me.. you/I can do this. It feels to good to go back that is what I keep in mind.. By now I would be three sheets to the wind and ready to crash in bed only to wake up needing something for my tummy and my head in the middle of the night.. Now the last two night sleeping like a baby all night long.. That alone is worth not drinking..
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It's only my third day but I having been drinking alot of ice tea.. Decaf.. green tea shipping on that in place of my booze drinks helps me.. and whenever I think about a drink.. I tell myself YUCK! that's nasty stinky stuff makes me sick.. and it did..
Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Just another day...

I drink a lot of this walmart version of crystal light, I make frozen fruit and ice in the blender and I write, a lot.

I will get occupied about something and end up spending hours online looking it up..last thing I was looking up was what animals mourn loss..we had two female ducks and one of them was nabbed in the middle of the day..we think it was a dog. But needless to say that poor duck that was left behind quacked all day for the other one. By the end of the night it was a soft wimper. I felt so bad. My son wants to bring her in the house for the winter if we cant find her a couple more ducks to keep her company..so of course next I need to look up keeping a duck indoors. Lord help me and the things I get myself into because of a sad face my son makes or feeling bad for an animal.

I have to keep my mind busy and keep myself out of the kitchen or I will boredom graze. lol
Old 10-02-2010, 12:48 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by meblonde View Post
Stuart.. day 3 here for me..
Good work!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:33 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Lots of fresh veggies and salads really help. I loved to munch on them throughout the day and I felt so much better.

Personally, I gave up cola/soda when I got sober. It used to kill my stomach.

Way to go everybody
Old 10-02-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Exercise and TV are really helping. But mainly just feeling more clearheaded and seeing things I never saw before is becoming my new 'fix'. Like literally I see things in my kids faces I never noticed. I walk out on my deck in the morning and see how the light falls on the field and I never noticed that, either.

It makes me want to cry, actually. How much I've been missing. Annnnd I'm crying. Good morning everyone
Old 10-02-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
Exercise and TV are really helping. But mainly just feeling more clearheaded and seeing things I never saw before is becoming my new 'fix'. Like literally I see things in my kids faces I never noticed. I walk out on my deck in the morning and see how the light falls on the field and I never noticed that, either.

It makes me want to cry, actually. How much I've been missing. Annnnd I'm crying. Good morning everyone
How Long sober SSI? I know what you mean about what was missed.. man oh man.. that will get ya..
Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

"Family Guy" has helped my sobriety. That show makes me laugh even when it's the last thing I want to do. If I wasn't laughing I would have been crying....
Old 10-02-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by meblonde View Post
How Long sober SSI? I know what you mean about what was missed.. man oh man.. that will get ya..
not long. I thought it was 6 or 7 weeks but thinking now it must be a little less.

It feels like a really long time (in a good way).