Notices

"No, I haven't been drinking" chug chug

Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"No, I haven't been drinking" chug chug

Have you ever been drinking, then spoke with someone on the phone, and they ask, "Are you drinking?' and you say, "naw, I ain't drinkin, what makes ya say somethin like that ere?"

I just received a call from an old drinking buddy asking me if I was going out tonight. During the call, he said, "hey, hold on, Betty, can you loan me 20 bucks", and she replied "no, I don't have 20 left." He was already at a bar. Then he says, "hey D, come on bro, let's go to _______ and......"

Now I know the deal, he's broke, needs a drink and I came to mind. But it reminded me of how many times I've thought that I fooled the person on the other end of the line when they would ask me, "Hey D, you drinking?" "Oh no, how could ya think that?"

How could they not think that, with me slurring my words, sounding like I'm talking out my butt, and not making a whole lot of sense. And all along I thought I had them all fooled.

Geez!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Only about 100 times.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've done some drunken calling in my day, usually to my best friend.. so it was ok. He would tell me the stuff I'd say the next day, since I couldn't remember. Apparently I was pretty amusing..

How about when you're drunk and decide to send a text to your Ex? Yeah, those are the ones I regret.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did it many times but no one ever called me on it. I hope its because I didn't sound too bad but I suspect its more likely that they were being polite.

Drunken FB posts were my stock in trade.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nope, everyone that called expected me to be drunk when I answered.

Before social networking sites were around I used to drunk dial a lot... always wanted a breathalyser on my phone that would only allow me to call taxis or 000!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

drunk dialing...ugh. i cringe at how they must have been desparate to get me off the line, but just too nice to say anything.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juneof44 View Post
drunk dialing...ugh. i cringe at how they must have been desparate to get me off the line, but just too nice to say anything.
The absolute worst is when you drunk dial a girl. Or if a girl drunk-dials you. Awful. If its one of your buddies, you can blow it off and say........."You were talking like an idiot last night on the phone."

Women usually won't let you off the hook that easily. I speak from experience.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, loads of times.

There were times when I was so pissed out my head that I couldn't even think about fooling anyone. But, other times, 'I was just tired' or 'I had a cold or sore throat' lol.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

FS....lived that lie for years. Those drunken days required so much work on my end to hide and mask....yet looking back on it....man I couldn't have been more obvious.

Just another thing I love about being sober
Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ughh this topic makes me want to give myself the big ole facepalm!
Then again that goes along the lines with, it was something I've done in the past and I can just work on not doing it again, which I won't because I'm not drinking! One of the many on the long list of reasons of why being sober is a good for me.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never called anyone or pick up the phone if someone called, but as I read this my other half is drunk sitting in his garage talking on the phone. sure he is talking out of his butt by now. They all know he is a drunk. UGH!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Heh, I hate to one-up the thread, here, but not only did I talk on the phone a lot while drunk, but I have given high-level software architecture presentations by phone and videoconference while blitzed out of my mind. I go through a "slurry phase" after a few drinks, and after that I sound totally coherent and together.... Until the next tipping point, of course, when I become totally incoherent.

I have had a lot of amusement from reading my sent text messages after waking up from a bender. The messages start out odd and sloppy, and then they become totally clear and well reasoned, and then they just instantly change from coherent sentences to jumbled letters.

Once or twice I even managed to catch the "tipping point" in mid text...

It was like "so what would you like fll2kl 3 lksljksj ageiucns asdaflkjkjkkkkkkkk"

Shortly after that I usually lose consciousness and awaken three days later with several empty liquor bottles littered all over the place, and I can't find my phone for anything.

hehe

OH, and then there's my favorite part (favorite from the point of view of laughing at myself) when I'm typing some serious letter (they always seem so serious when I'm drinking) and I have my face three inches above the keyboard and I am typing one letter at a time very carefully because I've lost my ability to touch-type. And then I have to rewrite the letter three or four times so it sounds exactly right, and I read it over and over and over and then finally I cancel it before I send it.

Whew... it's funny but it's no way to live. Frankly it'd be a lot funnier if I was describing someone else's behavior.

Hehe, I needed to talk about this, I think. I've been eyeing wine bottles recently thinking "One wouldn't be so bad". But it's never just one! And it never stays wine... liquor is never far behind for me.

-Goat
Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Goat, that's funny stuff, lmao!!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeap... been there done that... The person I hate doing it with is my dad and my husband.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yup, used to get up in the morning and check the phone to see who had I text or talked to. I used to be mortified.

It got so bad I would hide my phone when I'd open a bottle and hope my drunk self would forget where it was.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Mine was always to lie about the quantity. Everyone knew I could be drinking, but how much was always in question.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I remember one of my last drunken dialing fiascos, I called an ex bf and was telling him that there was nothing wrong with him that I broke up with him because I had issues etc etc and he said something like "I know you told me this the last time you got drunk and called me". The last couple of yrs I drank my daughter would never answer the phone when I called no matter what time of day or night, she'd had enough of the drunk calls.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goat View Post
OH, and then there's my favorite part (favorite from the point of view of laughing at myself) when I'm typing some serious letter (they always seem so serious when I'm drinking) and I have my face three inches above the keyboard and I am typing one letter at a time very carefully because I've lost my ability to touch-type. And then I have to rewrite the letter three or four times so it sounds exactly right, and I read it over and over and over and then finally I cancel it before I send it.
I think I wrote and deleted the same letter to my ex every night for 3 years
Old 10-01-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Mine was always to lie about the quantity. Everyone knew I could be drinking, but how much was always in question.
Made me chuckle! I would be swaying like im on board a boat in force 9 gales and swear blind to my GF's that i had only had a couple of pints...crazy?!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Just another day...

I didn't drunk dial a lot but I would drunk text. The worst would be drunk emailing or facebook posts. oh my!!! Some of the emails just made no sense at all but at the time I thought it was so profound and moving, I was a genius at the sudden discovery I had and wanted to share it with all. The next day as Im getting emails asking if Im ok and whats going on I would think oh no I didnt?! I banned myself from the PC..why was I on it...damn! My solution would be to blame those damn hackers. Someone hacked into my email account again and sent out weird stuff. I was nowhere near my pc..I was in bed asleep by 9. Most of my friends/family have no clue about my drinking problems so it was a good excuse esp. when I said it was my stepdaughter and she was made at me. Facebook I would do the same thing with but would say I gave a friend my password because she thought someone blocked her and she wanted to check with mine. And then she thought she was being funny with those dumb posts..my bad.

Thank goodness those hackers havent found me lately. Must have done a good job of changing my password(wink wink).

42 days now of none of that stuff! Im no longer checking my phone to see if I made plans with people to party with or told someone to never talk to me again cuz they didnt answer my text quick enough. hot damn!