Notices

Things can change to the better, hang in there

Old 09-24-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Things can change to the better, hang in there

well for all of you remember, I startedmy path to recovery on June 18th. I slipped twice, but I am back on day 25 today. Since I started recovery I was very lonely, my relationship broke apart before and people kept walking away from me, more or less I lost all friends, two very dear ones. Others kept abusing me or trying walking all over me and I allowed it. I did not have any selfesttem and kept giving me the fault telling myself, well I am guilty since I was drinking I deserved being treated like that/
Well the last 3 weeks I realized a change. I would be able to tell people honestly how I felt and told them the truth. By doing so I realized I had empowered them previously since I cared about what they thought of me. Looking back today this moment of realization changed everything and my life changed. So today after more then 3 month after the start of this journey I have friends in my life that care about me, that do not drink (and they are not from AA and I did not meet them there). They do not walk over me and honor my opinion and treat me as I deserve to be treated. I even got over myself and my ego tonight. I finally called for the 1st time them taking the initiative and ask them to go out. 3 month ago I would have been afraid that they would reject me. And we are going out. She invited two more friends for playing pool and all of us are non smoking and drinking and the pool table is not in a bar, lol a private club where alcohol is limited. So for all of you who are out there, stopping and starting recovery is definitly worth it. Life is so much better. I feel better, I learned a lot about myself during this journey and hope to continue it sober. Although I learned Life can still hit you sometiems and you always have to be careful not to fall back into drinking...........
Old 09-24-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your progress SASA
D
Old 09-24-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sasa,

That's a great post.

I, too, had been letting people take advantage of me, and was far too worried about what people thought of me. It was so freeing to know that I could have boundaries for myself and that the people in my life who cared about me, would have no problems with my boundaries. And, removing a couple of people from my life, had an unexpected bonus. Quite suddenly, two amazing women appeared in my life, who became dear friends, teachers and mentors. Who knew!!!