Notices

Just your opinion on D & A Counselor

Old 09-20-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just your opinion on D & A Counselor

Live in a small area and there are only a few Drug & Alcohol Counselors my insurance covers.

I prefer to see a woman and I called for an appt. today.

She was very helpful, but one thing that is bothering me is that she didn't know what Campral is.

Would this concern any of you?

TIA.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Not necessarily--medications aren't necessary for most people to get sober. I'd be more concerned if she had a bias in favor of them than against them. She wouldn't be qualified to prescribe them, anyway.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Right...counselors and therapists do not prescribe meds. Only a medical doctor or a psychiatrist can do that.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't sure if it was the same in your country Jamison, but yeah counsellors here don't prescribe meds, so I'm not sure that's a dealbreaker in your situation.

D
Old 09-20-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I'd be more concerned if they were in recovery themselves - in other words, do they have real life practical experience? ....and if so, how long have they been in AA/NA, and what their general approach to recover is.

I've been to several and the ones not in recovery themselves weren't worth a dam. - that's just my experience so take it for what it's worth. They talked a good game but, in a month or two, it became apparent that they were more interested in my repeat business then ever seeing me get recoverED.

Two that I found who are in recovery were split. One was "fun" to see. He had cool stories and was nice to hang with.....but I never left feeling any better (or worse) and never felt like we accomplished much. The other one....she's the bomb. She's got a number of yrs in NA and AA, is very grounded in spirituality (an area I knew I needed help with) and told me it was her goal to turn out recovered patients. She was the only one who realized that one person like me singing her praises to everyone in my area is worth 3 ppl she might have suckered into thinking they'll always be recoverING and will continue to need her services forever if I want to have any chance of feeling good again. She didn't claim to have any answers.....and actually told me if she DID know, she wasn't going to tell me....part of recovery is being willing to find out for yourself. lol.
She's a you-know-what buster and I couldn't be happier.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your input.

Just thought since Campral is handed out here when you leave detox or inpatient, she should be "up" on it. :P

She was able to spot my denial, excuses and/or addictive part over the phone, very easily though. (addictive part didn't like that - healthy part did)

I will check her out at least once.

I am hiring her she's not hiring me. :P
Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck with the counselling!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hm,

I think what's odd is that a rehab or detox would "hand out" meds to everyone when they leave. That sounds weird, to me. Put everyone on medication? Whether they want or need it or not?
Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

When I left detox (after 6 days) I was given a prescription for Campral. I saw a doctor each day at the detox facility and he sent me home with a scrip and I was supposed to get in touch with the psychiatrist they set me up with in order to continue getting the scrip for Campral. If I didn't do that, then the 30 day supply given me would expire and that would be that.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No, not at all. As was said, meds are not necessary for everyone, probably not for most people. and counselors are not doctors, so they cannot prescribe anyway.

the issue is whether you can trust her and if she can talk to you and help you understand where you are and what you need to do.

On another note, i'd be careful with insurance. I pay cash for my counseling, even though my insurance would cover it. I don't want it in my medical records. Rates sky rocket after that.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Hm,

I think what's odd is that a rehab or detox would "hand out" meds to everyone when they leave. That sounds weird, to me. Put everyone on medication? Whether they want or need it or not?
Sorry typed that wrong I guess.

It is a newer med that helps with cravings and you do have a choice to take it or not.

Here is the link:

Campral

Just thought it odd she didn't know what it was.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aehmnm View Post
No, not at all. As was said, meds are not necessary for everyone, probably not for most people. and counselors are not doctors, so they cannot prescribe anyway.

the issue is whether you can trust her and if she can talk to you and help you understand where you are and what you need to do.

On another note, i'd be careful with insurance. I pay cash for my counseling, even though my insurance would cover it. I don't want it in my medical records. Rates sky rocket after that.
Maybe my area is different, but my general practioner knows about my alcoholism and it is on my records for awhile, no rate hike yet.

Knock on wood.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, general medical doctor versus alcohol treatment are two very, very different things. Just sayin.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
oak

Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
I am hiring her she's not hiring me. :P
Keep remembering that! You can change counselors (or look at around) at any time.

I'm impressed that she could point out denial and excuses. (Although my addictive part would not like that either!)

I am a bit impressed that she felt comfortable enough to admit what she did not know about.

I hope she helps!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't find it odd personally. My counselor and I have been working together for months and right off the bat we didn't discuss nor consider meds. I don't want ANY meds unless it is something necessary to regulate my health....know what I mean. My Dr. is on board with this philosophy as well.

I also in my recovery put me first and I could care less what goes in my records if that is what needs to be for me to get the help. While I may have alcoholism and counseling listed for the world to see......I also had years of ER visits, anxiety-xanax prescription and so many abnormal liver tests that drs were certain I had liver disease of some sort.

I could care less what anyone thinks since my getting help and finally getting sober has saved me.

All the best!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

as a drug counselor student, we really dont go into many meds much unless you are gonna be a dual diagnosis counselor. or have a history of needing medicine . personally the fact she isnt up on the whole craving control meds is a positive because she will work with the underlying reasons you use and not just pump you with more meds . just my opinion.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'd never even heard of Campral before I read this thread. I definitely wouldn't worry about your counselor not being familiar with it. Best of luck to you, and keep posting here.

Stephanie
Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aehmnm View Post
Yeah, general medical doctor versus alcohol treatment are two very, very different things. Just sayin.
I didn't realize that

Thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I hired a counselor to help me out for the first 6 months of my sobriety/recovery.. I have no idea if he knew anything about Campral. I honestly had no idea what it was til I read this thread so I guess it made no difference to me and my counseling success.

Whatever YOU find important in a counselor, is what's important.

On the insurance piece, my rates didn't do anything after I had treatment, even after diagnosed with 'alcohol dependence'. I work pretty closely with people using insurance before and after various medical diagnoses, and their rates will NOT change, unless THEY change insurance. If you have coverage through your employer, and even if you switch employers and insurance.. as long as you don't go more than 63 days without coverage, pre-existing conditions aren't an issue with group plans. The only way you'd be charged extra for anything new, is if you did go without insurance, and tried to purchase an individual policy for yourself. That's in the US, and the HIPAA laws (insurance portability act) protect you regardless if it's Medicaid, medicare, group or private insurance..and those are the only laws I know.. but I do know them well. Please don't let insurance issues interfere with your pursuit of a good recovery plan!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Spot on flutter about insurance...