xuse

i just feel so much anxieyt about it
Old 09-11-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
xuse

i feel like ive failed
Old 09-11-2010, 10:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It happens. I can't tell you how many times I have drank and didn't even want to.

There is no sense in beating yourself up over it. Consider it a learning lesson. Ask yourself why you drank and then recognize that as a trigger. Recognizing and overcoming your triggers is crucial to recovery.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Funny thing about failure, if we didn't fail we wouldn't have much to be proud of. Kinda like when we learned to ride a bike, our skinned knees were battle scars and we were proud once we had that one ride where we didn't fall. We showed off our newfound skill to everyone, we felt like big boys at the time and it was good.

So, you skinned your knees again, time to get back up and try to ride on. And watch out for any trees, lol.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I sure hope you will re-start your sober journey quickly.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
xuse

yes i knew i would regret it but did it anyways i feel ashamed to post this i almost didnt
Old 09-11-2010, 11:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You know, you could try a different approach.....Anthony Robbins says 'if you always do what youve always done, youll always get what youve always got' I know people that tried AA for years and kept relapsing, then tried another approach and never looked back. I also know people that went from SMART to RR to AA - and AA works best for them.

Theres so many options.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
xuse

i just seem to talk myself back into it everytime
Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very hard to change a life xuse.

Try and focus on what else you can add to what you been doing rather than thinking you failed. That helps noone.

I don't recall you ever speaking of outside help - have you tried a recovery group (AA SMART) yet, xuse?

Something new may make all the difference?
D
Old 09-12-2010, 03:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is from Joel Olsteen. I think it applies very well in this case.... Give it a read!

"…But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind straining toward what is ahead"
(Philippians 3:13, NIV)

TODAY'S WORD from Joel and Victoria
Are you determined to forget what lies behind? I know many people don't fully understand what it means to forget the past. They wonder, "How can I forget something that's happened to me?" But one definition of the word forget is to disregard intentionally or to overlook. See, you have to intentionally disregard your past so that it doesn't keep you from moving forward. That means the good and the bad. Sometimes our past victories keep us from rising higher as much as past failures. If we don't let go of the old, we'll never be able to embrace the new.

Remember, it doesn't matter what's happened in your history, it's time to forget what lies behind. Make the choice today to press forward. Trust that God has a better future in store for you. Trust that He's working behind the scenes on your behalf. As you intentionally disregard what lies behind and press forward, I believe God will pour out His favor, grace and blessing upon you and lead you into the abundance He has prepared for you.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I can't count the number of times I vowed "never again" only to pick up right where I left off time after time after time. I felt like the world's biggest failure. Today I'm 14+ months removed from my last drink. I never thought I'd last a week, let alone a month. I had to re-arrange my thinking and realize that I wasn't a failure, that every time I slipped I got back up again...that's what counts! I don't believe I'd be as grateful for my sobriety today if I hadn't been knocked down so many times. Don't give up, it's all worth it in the long run.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Forgive yourself, learn from it, and move forward again.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wink

you know xuse it does happen.. even to the best of us.. don't give up and you'll be fine! A.A. has helped me Greatly (Love the dog and helmet)
Old 09-12-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

X....I relapsed too and countless others here. Pick back up and learn from it and do it different. You need support my friend and you need to work the tools available. If nothing changes in your life....well it will continue to stay the same.

Get to a meeting, go to counseling, get to the dr. talk to someone. You need change my friend.

You are not a failure. You came back, you posted, you want to get sober and you need to reflect on what happened and where you can add support.

Wallowing in misery is not the answer. You will only drink and continue the anxiety. I know this because I have done it like so many. Another reason to drink and continue the hell.

We are here for you and there is good input here.....take the extra step and add support. Keep us updated.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

xuse,

I'm sorry about the slip, but as has been pointed out, drinking is what alcoholics DO. It's the go-to default response to things.

You can't just think your way out of it--you have to change your thinking.

I agree with the others--give AA a chance. Or SMART, or some other recovery program.

You're worth it.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

xuse I can relate to almost not posting out of embarrassment. When i slipped i almost didnt post either, but I did, and I'm proud that I could be honest enough with myself, and others to admit i screwed up.
You slipped. Now get up.
Everytime we make a mistake we learn from it. Its time to change up your method, and add to your plan of staying sober. You can do this!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to move forward!

If you feel lost, try to figure out what you can do differently this time. It takes a lot of lifestyle changes in order to recover.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Itl pass, just use this as a tool to not pick up again. I slipped back in August and I know what you mean, it really hurts, but it will pass. Just stay focused. Best wishes to ya.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I was told very early in recovery that Guilt Kills. How true that is, we slip and drink(we all have) but it is not the slip that keeps us out there, it is the guilt and shame that keeps us from going back. Alcoholism is very cunning, guilt is one of its most powerful weapons....for us, being able to forgive ourselves for being sick, for making a mistake is one of our most powerful tools in recovery. You didn't fail, you made a mistake. Please give yourself a gift, forgive yourself and come back. You deserve it, just like we all do. That is why the fellowship is so great, we all can relate to each other.

Cathy