Notices

First AA Meeting

Old 08-31-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA Meeting

I just wanted to post as a way to hopefully give other newcomers like myself the confidence, encouragement, hope, support, etc. that I desperately need, and to clear up any misconceptions that one might have about AA.

I was TERRIFIED of going to a meeting. I wanted to, I knew I needed to, I looked up meetings everyday, and found a reason not to go. I was scared of not being accepted, feeling like a fool, being judged, not fitting in, the list goes on and on.

I did it last night, and it was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. Maybe it's false optimism, but I'm looking forward to another meeting tonite. Last night l met some really cool, interesting, intelligent, inspiring, and insightful people, who made me feel safe, welcome, and cared for.

So for anyone with any sort of apprehensions, walking through the door is the hardest part. Once the meeting starts and people start opening up, it's such an uplifting experience. I told myself I was not going to be ready to even introduce myself, let alone talk about my issues with drinking, but I did both. And I look forward to opening up more.

Thanks to everyone at SR for your encouragement.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

keep coming back!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Howdy Buck. I'm glad you had a great first meeting and are looking forward to tonight's meeting. You will hear suggestions about 90 in 90, get a sponsor, look for the similarities and not the differences, ect. My suggestion would be to follow those suggestions and get what you can from it. It's the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. God Bless
Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Buck...that is super!
I am glad you had a great first meeting...it takes a lot of courage for people to step through that door, and you are right..it is the hardest part..
My DOC is not alcohol, but I love AA meetings..
Old 08-31-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Very cool Buckley. That was similar to my experience. The fear of going was FAR worse than the event...and like you, I actually enjoyed it.

I may be out at some conference in Chicago sometime around January (not exactly sure when it is). Would be cool to see you there.

come on down to the "12 Step Support" group of threads here whenever you have questions, concerns, etc about AA. ( Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information ). Stick with it.... no joke, it keeps getting better with time.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's great my friend! And I second it...keep coming back!

Brian
Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you and thanks for sharing your positive AA experience.

AA has been a vital force for my well being
and that can be true for you as well.

All my best
Old 08-31-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I remember telling my dad about going to AA meetings with my ex-husband (who got sober 30 years ago). He looked sad, and said, "Isn't it DEPRESSING to go to those meetings?"

LOL, I can think of few things LESS depressing than an AA meeting.

People just have NO IDEA until they go to one.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buckley View Post
I was scared of not being accepted, feeling like a fool, being judged, not fitting in, the list goes on and on.
This time going back to AA, when I walked in through the door, I just knew everyone was looking at me and more than likely, with disgust. Didn't take much time for me to find out that, sure they were looking at me and were hoping that they could help.

My first couple of experiences going to AA I compared instead of identifying. A big mistake I made.

God bless and keep coming.

Harry
Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Buckley:
That's simply great! And in Chicago, you'll have lots of different meetings to choose from. Good luck.

W.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just did my 2nd AA meeting today - almost everyone was years and decades into sobrity. I was the only new one and only one with only 13 days sober (sounds big to me). But they made me feel welcome and very special and a few recalled their first meeting - they know - they have been here and bonds with this sort of thing go very deep since lives are changed dramatically once sober. This I a feeling in ways and first hurdle was stopping and next was braving a meeting. But after 5, 10 or 20 yrs. sober these people spoke of having a life changed by sobrity. This is hard to put into words so I hope you guys get it.

I needed to try AA because I finally, finally, finally realized I couldn't do this alone in isolation. I still can't imagine welcoming meeting into my life for years but one thing at a time. I also am dealing with facing the fact maybe doing the "moderation test" is not a good idea and as many many times in the past, it won't work and I will be back to day 1. Must do something different this time so one is not doing it alone and the other is not being tempted to try the "moderation test"
Old 09-01-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Most long-time members of AA don't keep going to meetings because they can't stay sober without them--they go to be there for people like you who are coming in and need to see that it works and to learn how to get what they have. Working with other people DOES help them stay sober, and it's a nice way to give back what they have been given.

Conventional wisdom is that you need to keep going to meetings only until you WANT to go.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I remember telling my dad about going to AA meetings with my ex-husband (who got sober 30 years ago). He looked sad, and said, "Isn't it DEPRESSING to go to those meetings?"

LOL, I can think of few things LESS depressing than an AA meeting.

People just have NO IDEA until they go to one.
What Lexie said is soooo true. I've felt from my very first meeting that attending and being part of AA is something I GET to do, not something I HAVE to do. You do encounter wonky people and dysfunctional situations in AA every once in a while but for the most part the program and the people are very enjoyable and empowering. And it's free!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.
I have gone the last two nights, as well, and I've met some really awesome people. I feel so good after the meeting, like I've done something good for myself, while helping other people.
The whole "God" concept is something I'm trying to come to terms with, but most of our discussions after any readings aren't really centered around God, just each other's experiences, progress, lessons, and lives since quitting drinking.
I've learned so much. Everyone has been so welcoming.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Buckley....

I'm not getting into a discussion about God
for now.....I suggest you think of ......
Group Of Drunks
or
Good Orderly Direction

All my best as you continue to move forward...
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Buckley, I am so glad you had such a positive experience.

And, yes, I love the idea of 'doing something for yourself'. That was a big part of recovery for me, too.