Notices

Getting a Job

Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting a Job

So, here's the deal--

I am 25 days clean today. CPS got involved after my last relapse, and are having me put my 2 year old in daycare. I think he will do fine, he's a social kid.

This means I will have to get at least a part time job. I don't want anything too stressful, but I want something that will keep me busy. I have never had a job for more than a few months at a time before. I always get fired or quit, usually due to my using, drinking, or eating disorder (which I have been past for about 3 years now). Now that I am not doing these things, I think I will have a better chance to survive at a job, but I'm still scared. I don't know how to do anything skilled (I am taking online classes to get my ABA) so I will probably end up working a crap job. Not sure about the people I will meet and hopefully I won't have to deal with active addicts because that is too triggering for me right now. I also worry about my energy levels and whether I will be able to stay active all day like that!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doing somethign new is scary for anyone I think, but you know you have a lot of support here

I wish you luck OWW...I hope you find something good

D
Old 08-27-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think new jobs are always scary.

But, try to look at this as an opportunity. It could give you a chance to learn more about yourself and hopefully the daycare experience will be good for your child.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My older son has always turned up his nose at "crap jobs", which in large part is why he can't find one he enjoys.

Most of us have to "pay our dues" with "crap jobs" before we can start getting choosy. Employers want to see a track record--that you showed up at your previous job on time, with a good attitude, and a good work ethic. My son hasn't grasped the fact that his poor record with previous employers (quitting after a short period of time because of rules that "don't make sense" to HIM) is holding him back.

So my suggestion to YOU is that you find that "crap job" (so long as your employer isn't actually abusive), smile, show up, work hard, and stick around until you find something better to move up to. That's how almost all of us started.

One other suggestion, too, if you find it difficult to make a commitment to a job, is temp agencies. That gives you a chance to "try out" different jobs, and they often can lead to an offer of permanent employment (because the employer is getting a chance to try YOU out, at the same time).

Good luck! It feels great to become self-sufficient!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are there any Art Supply stores in your area? Maybe they are hiring...its an easy job, you get a discount on art supplies and best of all you are around fellow artists:-)
Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think LaFemme's idea is great - why not work in an area that interests you? Have you ever put your art in any galleries or even gift shops? (I ended up painting for a living, so it can be done!)

Like Anna said, new jobs are scary, but personally I think if we can get and stay sober, we can do just about anything. Write down a list of all of good attributes you have and the things you do well and start thinking about it in a positive way (like an adventure). You're a new person now, and that makes all the difference!!!!

p.s. PM me if you ever want to talk about making $ with your art.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile

OWW Best of Luck To You on Your Search.. Keep an Open Mind!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dont be scared or negative go into this knowing that you are beating this addiction and you are in control. It will definitely be a giant step even if it is a part time "crappy" job at least your mind will be on track toward the right things.

Best of luck to you and your 2 year old. =}
Old 08-27-2010, 10:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OWW.....glad you are hear and welcome to SR!! I was out of work on and off and was quite nervous about returning to work when I got sober. I needed some $$ but more importantly I needed to get back into life and start feeling like I was contributing. My counselor also encouraged this for my new life in sobriety.

I had many thoughts that I was concerned about......can I do it? Will it upset me and become a trigger? What to do? I ended up getting a local gig....working which honestly doesn't pay much but the getting up everyday and showering and pulling myself out of bed.....was EXACTLY what I needed. I needed to start a positive routine and while the job itself isn't the dream job....it has been tremendous in helping my kickstart my recovery and get back to healthy life. My self-esteem and well being has great improved and I feel so productive and I have an identity again. The mental health part was the core for getting the job and still is.

Wishing you the best but know from someone.....it may seem scary and confusing but to keep on with our sobriety we must make positive changes.

Keep on sharing
Old 08-28-2010, 02:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can really relate with only having a job for a couple months at a time due to my drinking or health issues i.e lack of energy. I've had lots of different jobs but could never keep one down. I recently got a job created for people who need a little push to get back into the work force, in a more healthy and productive way and it's been great. They've been simply been opening doors for me, reassuring me of skills I already have and giving me the confidence I need to go back to school and or find my dream job. I was totally freaked out even thinking about getting a job but I just took another dive at it and I've been just taking it one day at a time. I pushed myself and believed in myself just enough (witch wasn't to much lol but) was just the right amount to get me half way through the course and hopefully continue to build the courage to go back to school.
I wish all the best to you!