Notices

A Question, A Request and a little about me

Old 09-06-2010, 05:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Way to go Klar. Great news and keep up the good work. I too live far from family and while living overseas without much support except SR and my counselor....I have quit drinking and am in recovery.

No matter what happens.....we can achieve and maintain sobriety.

All the best!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"Challenging" to put it mildly! I doubt whether I would have ventured to Las Vegas during my early days of recovery! I gather that the free booze is flowing (to get the customers to loosen up at the tables) and that the smell of alcohol is rather prevalent. Good luck! Isn't it a little like a person on a diet deciding to attend a convention of chocolatiers or a reunion of a Grand Cuisine Cooking School? Do you suppose this is what AA means when it cautions against "persons, places and things"?

W.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I had a trip plan to Vegas 30 days into my sobriety, and I went, and I completely enjoyed being in Vegas sober for the first time. I was able to see more stuff, and appreciate it. I was offered free drinks at the tables, but I got a free diet soda instead. I'm not saying that there wasn't temptation, but I was strong and I completely enjoyed the experience, and I am glad I went. (Plus it was already planned and paid for before I made the decision to quit drinking). I loved Vegas sober!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
(Plus it was already planned and paid for before I made the decision to quit drinking
This is the situation I'm in. I have to go for work, and I already paid for my girlfriend's part of the trip. She's my confidant so it's better to have her along if it's something I HAVE to do.

As I mentioned in the original post, I'm going to see my family as well on this trip. I've not made the decision yet if I am going to tell them or not. I really don't want to put a damper on their fun, although I know they would be 100% supportive. However, read a little more below.

My father suffers like I do. He's a functional alcoholic. He drinks daily and binges on occasion. Both my sister and mother have mentioned his drinking being a problem. I've seen it first hand as well. A few years ago he suffered from a abdominal aortic aneurysm, which was repaired and he's made a full recovery. This had a major emotional/mental impact on him and unfortunatley it accelerated his drinking.

I know that when I tell him about my sobriety it will have an impact. My hope is that it will have enough of an impact for him to consider doing the same. I'm going to ask him outright to join me in this journey.

At this point I don't think this is the right place to tell them, but I haven't made the final decision....

I've rambled long enough.

Here's to a beautiful day 13!!!

Thanks for reading, my best to all of you.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I hear Vegas has some great AA meetings--Actually, that's one of the things I enjoy when I travel (not that often) is finding meetings whereever I go.