Notices

Looking for AA Meeting

Old 08-17-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for AA Meeting

I notice the open and closed meetings on the local website. My question, being a certified alco looking to start meeting, is it acceptable to go to a closed meeting for my first meeting?

And between discussion, speaker, etc., is there a recommendation?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Myself, I would go to a closed meeting because I would be more comfortable. A discussion meeting around here means an open discussion of whatever topic anybody brings up. If you tell them that it is your first time they will likely do a "first timers" meeting and gear the meeting to support you. Several people will give you their phone numbers, and if you don't want to talk you do not have to.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So, what does a closed meeting mean? I almost felt it was strictly for those who were already part of a group.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, a closed meeting is perfectly acceptable.

Personally I prefer literature-based meetings. My little home group has 3 meetings a week, Wednesday is Big Book Study, Fridays are open but we usually read out of the Big Book, and Sundays are 12 Steps/12 Traditions study.

Speaker meetings are good too as I usually get something out of a speaker's share. It's an opportunity to just listen.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
So, what does a closed meeting mean? I almost felt it was strictly for those who were already part of a group.
I believe closed just means that the meeting is only for those with alcohol problems, and not those just there to learn about alcoholism. I could be wrong though, someone please correct me if I am...
Old 08-17-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
I notice the open and closed meetings on the local website. My question, being a certified alco looking to start meeting, is it acceptable to go to a closed meeting for my first meeting?

And between discussion, speaker, etc., is there a recommendation?
heck yeah... I'd recommend a closed meeting over an open meeting. Near the beginning of the meeting they'll ask if anyone's here in AA for the first time. Raise your hand & tell 'em your first name. They'll probably do the first step for you.

It might be a little embarrassing but getting honest is paramount. Go there prepared to listen. Listen for things you can identify with....and do a lot of looking. Look for the clear eyes. Listen to the laughing. Feel the love in the room. It doesn't matter if you talk or not, that's up to you.

Congratulations on taking some action, on being willing to do something you may not WANT to do, and on being open to trying something you didn't come up with on your own

Good goin!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

open meetings are open to anyone....you don't need to have a problem with alcohol or want to do anything about it.

closed meetings are limited to people who have a problem with alcohol.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello again......

Here is a link with lots of good information

Your First AA Meeting<

I'm so pleased to see you are going to check out AA
The program offers so much more than not drinking....

I suggest you attend several different groups..if possible.
Each group has it's own ambience.

All my best
Old 08-17-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Yes, a closed meeting is perfectly acceptable.

Personally I prefer literature-based meetings. My little home group has 3 meetings a week, Wednesday is Big Book Study, Fridays are open but we usually read out of the Big Book, and Sundays are 12 Steps/12 Traditions study.

Speaker meetings are good too as I usually get something out of a speaker's share. It's an opportunity to just listen.
tomorrow is an open speaker. I'm pumped about that. just a mile down the road too
Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

it was a great meeting. lots of friendly folks in a very comfortable meeting. I was impressed and it was like I'd been there for weeks
Old 08-18-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My first was tonight, too. It was a "beginners meeting" and I was the only newbie, and indeed the whole meeting of these 40 or so people was geared to me. That's important for the newbie, because of the support you get, and for the old guys, because of the 12th step. It's damned encouraging to see that they mean it, and I sincerely believe they do.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm so happy you guys got a great first meeting! Just so you know, you will once in awhile stumble into a meeting that might not be so great. Even the best groups can have an "off night" (I remember one where a big dog was brought in by someone who let it off the leash sniffing everyone--the problem was eventually dealt with), and some groups will tend to have a lot of people--mostly newcomers--moaning about what's bad in their lives without much experience, strength and hope from those with some sobriety. There are other variations on "not-so-hot" meetings. Overall, I find them to be relatively few and far between.

Early sobriety is a great time to explore LOTS of different meetings. Inevitably, there were some you will like more than others. I tried to get a good mix of different kind of meetings when I was new--some step study, some Big Book, some open discussion. I went to a couple of women's meetings (which some women LOVE), but I didn't care for them as much. There are also men's meetings.