Notices

Can't seem to do it on my own...

Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't seem to do it on my own...

I thought maybe I could quit on my own. I've stopped before but always end up going for a week or two and start back again. I don't drink everyday or anything but when I do drink I drink way too much and it really affects my relationship with my girlfriend. She's threatening to leave me now and even though she's said this before and hasn't, I believe her this time. I want to quit because I know I need to. But I like to drink. This last time I went 23 days and then had a bad day yesterday. I got home and my girlfriend decided to take a nap. I went out to make food and unfortunately my roommates keep alcohol in the house (wine and whiskey). I said to myself I'd only take a few drinks just to make me feel better. But after about 2 or 3 good swigs It was pretty much over. She woke up and I was already pretty drunk. I managed to get her to stay and told her I'd get help.

Sooo....I guess I have to admit that I can't do this on my own. I found an open meeting just down the street and am going to attend Wednesday. I'm a little nervous about it so I asked my girlfriend to go with me. I'm hoping the meetings will help me and I also wouldn't mind meeting some new people who aren't trying to get drunk all the time like my current friends. This is my first post but I've enjoyed reading the posts here and they did help me for those first 23 days. Thanks for listening.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey harcocjh

I don't think anyone can do this on their own - it's too big a job...we all need support
Welcome to SR - good luck at your meeting

D
Old 08-08-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey harcocjh,

As you have seen, SR is a good place to get support. So keep reading and posting, especially if you get some cravings.

It's also good that you are going to a meeting on Wednesday. Meeting people who are sober, and who can tell you how they are staying sober, will be a big help to you and should show your girlfriend that sobriety is possible.

Everyone is nervous before their first AA meeting, but most of the people there are friendly and encouraging. You will probably be glad you went.

Best wishes.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I would man-up and go by yourself to the meeting.
This is your sobriety, your path.
You will be more able to reach out for the help you need from recovering alcoholics
when you are going by yourself.
Go to a meeting every day, why wait til Wed ?
Old 08-08-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep being active here with posting and reading and welcome!
Old 08-08-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome, and I'm so glad you decided to go to a meeting, and also post here.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

harcocjh - I was to the point almost a month ago that I didn't know what to do because my drinking was on a daily basis and had no control over it. First thing in the morning with the shakes going on and pounding my first beer to rid of the shakes I immediately googled "alcoholic forums" and found this site.

Within the first couple hours of joining I felt so relieved with the overwhelming amount of support I received. This is what has kept me sober for 27 days and not once have I had a craving that concerned me.

Reading and posting to these threads is what really hits home.

to the SR Family!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I agree with Spiritual Seeker. Why wait until Wednesday? A lot can happen between now and Wednesday, including your deciding you can just "cut back" and maybe convince your girlfriend you can do it.

The time to go is when the desire is strong.

Whether you go with your g/f is up to you. My intuition is that you are taking her along to show her that you're serious. My intuition is that if that's what you are doing, you won't be listening to the message, you will be sitting there nodding and looking thoughtful and serious.

Don't get me wrong--I think she SHOULD see for herself what AA is about, but maybe after you've gone for yourself a few times. Meantime, she may want to check out Al-Anon, which is for families and friends of alcoholics.

Seriously, go to a meeting tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I don't think anyone can do it on their own. I know I tried, but it wasn't until I asked for help that I was able to begin my recovery. Help is all around us; family and friends, AA, counseling, these message boards, a Higher Power (which greatly differs depending on the person)...Once I truly sought help, I saw that it was everywhere.

Thanks for joining us. I found this site over 4 months ago, and haven't had a drink since. I've used lots of other tools to keep me off the booze, but this site is really the 1 place that I know I can find help 24 hours a day. Even if it's really late and not many people are online here, just reading other people's posts, and even my own, can help me.

There are a few people here from Chicago. Perhaps if you run across them, you could get some advice on meetings in your area. The clubhouse I attend in Atlanta has meetings beginning at 7:30am and going all the way up through 11pm. Each meeting has its own personality, and they can be very different. For instance, an early meeting may be full of professionals on their way to work. A late-night meeting might have a lot of younger people who stay out late and don't wake up particularly early. So see if you may be able to get a line on a meeting where you may be more comfortable.

Again, thanks for being here. Hope you stay a while.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here....
Welcome to our recovery community