Notices

Drink Recipes - Non-Alcoholic Of Course:-)

Old 07-30-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drink Recipes - Non-Alcoholic Of Course:-)

I tried to find a previous thread on this subject but couldn't so I figured I would make one.

I am curious if people have found interesting alternatives to booze. I never drink cola, rarely drink any soda...which means I am limited to milk, juice, water, tea and coffee.

So I was wondering if anyone had some interesting recipes to share.

For instance, I got this cool stuff called SanBitter (made by San Pellegrino) you use it like Campari, I thought it might be fun to try it with OJ.

Grenadine is also non-alcoholic, and there are virgin Margerita's and Daiquiri's I think (never drank the alcoholic version of those).

Happy Weekend!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I tried the mixed drink alternitives but never liked it. They were always missing something.

I'm a Fresca and sugar free Monster Drink man.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never drank mixed drinks when I drank so I probably won't find them lacking...just looking for something different to try.

I don't even know what Monster Drink is!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You can google "non-alcoholic drinks" and find a ton of suggestions. You can pretty much make any mixed drink non-alcoholic, except maybe for straight scotch. LOL!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Monster" is a really popular energy drink. Tastes kind of fruity, loaded with caffeine. I drank one recently and went into the grocery store...felt like running down the aisles. I like to mix 3 parts grapefruit juice 1 part cranberry juice on ice and top it off with some flavored carbonated water like La Croix Lime. I never drank mixed either, beer beer beer, but I like this mix, very refreshing!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drinkk juice mixed with sparkling water. . .my favorite is Dole pineapple/orange/banana with sparkling water. Everynight. . .and I typically didn't drink mixed drinks. If I drank hard stuff, it was typically gin. a very, very dry and dirty martini. . .so a non-alcoholic type drink is not a "replacement" for me so much as it is something else to drink!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks!!!

I think since we aren't trying to replace a favored beverage it probably works better...the only hard drink I ever liked was a G&T, and I still like Tonic water though:-)
Old 07-30-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I drink soda water, either seltzer or club soda, now I know it sounds yucky, but, hear me out. I used to drink a lot of beer, and I would often drink scotch and soda. A cold can of club soda, gives me the fizz and the burp, and the crisp carbonation I crave, when I miss a beer. It's a good substitute, plus there's no high fructose corn syrup, so you can drink as much as you like. I usually go through about 5 cans a day. Great stuff.

-Lith
Old 07-30-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Perrier cut in half with Martinelli's make sa great non-alcoholic "champagne."
Old 07-30-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think there was drink substitute thread back a few months...(winter).

when it's cold out I drink herbal tea in the evening...Lemon zinger is my favorite with some cranberry juice or splenda.

now I do seltzer mixed with cranberry/grapefruit and lemon...very refreshing and no sugar.

in the morning I have a can of sugar-free redbull and 3-4 cups of high octaine coffee

in my area there are a brand of sodas called "waist-watcher" made with splenda instead of aspertane. I love the grapefruit flavor, better than fresca...it's about $3.50 a 12 pack...they also do a great ginger-ale
Old 07-30-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Heathen

I stay away from 'mocktails' honestly... I just can't flirt that closely with hell. There's actually lots to drink out there that doesn't involve alcohol, or imitate alcohol! Great suggestions. I like cranberry/soda..
Old 07-30-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to drink wine, and there's not much that 'stands in' for that, so now I'm kind of a soda-and-lime girl when I'm out, and herbal tea or sparkling mineral water with a splash of juice or elderflower cordial at home.

Besides. I didn't drink wine because I was a connoisseur, I drank it because it got me drunk.

I don't tend to drink soda or straight juice, because I'm really conscious of how many calories they have.

Funny, isn't it? That was another example of the kind of 'exceptionalism' thinking I had when it came to alcohol. Would never drink four sodas in an evening because that would be way too many calories, but 10 glasses of wine - no problem! I also noticed the same thing buying wine. I could buy a $14 750ml bottle of nice sauvignon blanc and congratulate myself on getting a good deal, but in the next lane over I would balk at a $6 litre-bottle of organic juice because that was 'way too expensive'.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Originally Posted by Lithobid View Post
I drink soda water... I usually go through about 5 cans a day. Great stuff.

-Lith
LOL, I drank two one litre bottles of club soda the other night. Just pouring it down like I used pour down beers. I think my wife thought I had a bottle stashed somewhere cause she took a sip and she hates club soda. I don't know if she was even doing it consciously or not - I guess I really have a lot of work to do to restore any semblance of trust with her. I am a fortunate person to have a partner so patient. I would have kicked myself out long ago.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lithobid View Post
I drink soda water, either seltzer or club soda, now I know it sounds yucky, but, hear me out. I used to drink a lot of beer, and I would often drink scotch and soda. A cold can of club soda, gives me the fizz and the burp, and the crisp carbonation I crave, when I miss a beer. It's a good substitute, plus there's no high fructose corn syrup, so you can drink as much as you like. I usually go through about 5 cans a day. Great stuff.

-Lith
5 cans? Is that all? I go through almost 12 cans a day! We buy a lot of it! no sugar, low socium, not colorings. . .mixes with juices. . .refreshing. . .bubbly. . .i don't know, i love it.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ls
Originally Posted by Larkspur View Post
I used to drink wine, and there's not much that 'stands in' for that, so now I'm kind of a soda-and-lime girl when I'm out, and herbal tea or sparkling mineral water with a splash of juice or elderflower cordial at home.

Besides. I didn't drink wine because I was a connoisseur, I drank it because it got me drunk.

I don't tend to drink soda or straight juice, because I'm really conscious of how many calories they have.

Funny, isn't it? That was another example of the kind of 'exceptionalism' thinking I had when it came to alcohol. Would never drink four sodas in an evening because that would be way too many calories, but 10 glasses of wine - no problem! I also noticed the same thing buying wine. I could buy a $14 750ml bottle of nice sauvignon blanc and congratulate myself on getting a good deal, but in the next lane over I would balk at a $6 litre-bottle of organic juice because that was 'way too expensive'.

Omg...that was me:-) but I'm glad I asked because I used to love edlerflower cordial but I had forgotten:-)

For me this is like a whole new world...wait, there is something to drink other than wine??? Really???? :-)

One of the reasons I didn't drink a lot of beer was I'm not good with carbonation, so soda water/seltzer arent too appealing.