Notices

Desire to drink after 88 days

Old 07-27-2010, 11:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Artsoul, glad you brought this up, as I've definitely been "affected" by the lunar
cycles... and you end of thinking ohmigod i'd love a beer now. That happened to
me around 90 days and more recently around 180 days. Humblebee's advice was
spot on... that persistent, nagging "should I or shouldn't I" quickly wears itself out
and I've found that the next day it's gone. So, I reckon the best way to get through it is Just for Today, combined with some painting or exercize.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

artsoul, I'm glad you were able to come here and find some support when you needed it. This site truly is amazing, is it not?

I experienced similar cravings around my "milestone" date. I just thought of it as my mind trying to trick me by saying, "See? You've made it 60/90 days. You never did that before. That means you're OK! Go have a drink!" Thankfully, I didn't give in to these horrible thoughts, because I knew what would happen. I "played the tape" as they say, and my movie always ends badly.

You know we're here for you, and I'm thankful you're here for us. Stay strong!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Don't pick up 'just for today'. Accept it for what it is ie- a craving which doesn't have to be acted upon.

You've done the right thing 'telling on yourself' before you've picked up. That's what it's all about. Getting it all out there and not allowing your alkie mind any power over you by keeping it in your own head.

Just drink a pint or two of Coca-Cola or a chocolate milkshake and the thought of any alcoholic beverage will be massively diminished.

I used to find I had a massive hit of gratitude and clarity of thought when I got through the tough spells. I realised how close I could be to losing it all over again and also how powerful the alkie mind can be. But I have the power over it 'just for today'.

You should find that when these "funks" occur again in the future then you will feel much stronger and they will be less severe. Also maybe think about adapting your recovery strategy too. It can;t help to get as much support as possible. However only if you're comfortable with that mindyou.

peace
Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Art....hang in buddy. You have been a constant source of support and inspiration for me. It will get better and it will pass. The longer we are sober and continue with our support....the better equipped we are to deal with these moments.

Sure glad you posted friend and stay strong. You are almost at 90 days and I am damn proud of you!!!

- I got you in you my thoughts. Lets get past this so we chuckle about it...since I just had one Monday.

Kim

Last edited by Kmber2010; 07-28-2010 at 03:34 AM. Reason: stupid typos.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

artsoul, dont dont dont give in!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Artsoul...
Just to let you know how much you have helped also with this post. I believe part of the recovery is about knowing your addiction. Thank you for sharing this and thank you again for all those who posted very useful links and gave advice. I have learned a lot.
Something tells me that by now you will not give in... Well done for posting and for everything else!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I believe in the PAWS lunar cycle. I had a horrible time at 6 months, and now I'm almost at 9 months.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks to all - EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU - you hear me!?!? haha...... Seriously, everyone's post is like a little gold nugget to put in my pocket. I'm going to print this thread out for myself (make a little sobriety "book")

I'm still reeling a little from it - it just felt like it put a little crack in the foundation. I don't know why - it was just like I was at week 1 again. The SANE part of me knows that it will get better as I give it time.

So thanks again, friends.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Artsoul I have a good feeling that you don't want to drink, more than you do want to drink. What tells me that is the fact you are reaching out for help. Kind of difficult to reach out for help after you have already picked up the drink.

Hang in there, this to will pass, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. But you'll feel better for not drinking once you get through it.

It is good to see that you are already starting to feel better.

Keep coming and keep posting.

Harry
Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Grouch and Brainstorm

Originally Posted by onestepforward View Post
I used to reward myself with a binge for not drinking.

Brilliant depiction of insanity.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

For whatever reason, six months was a low point for me. Not necessarily for cravings, but more a function of a long sobriety yet still only half-way to a year. 9 months, a year, now closing in on 15 months... those all have gone smooth. It definitely feels like a psychological craving now, a force of habit, as I don't really even remember what being intoxicated feels like anymore. Keeping my guard up everyday, however.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freeport View Post
It definitely feels like a psychological craving now, a force of habit, as I don't really even remember what being intoxicated feels like anymore. Keeping my guard up everyday, however.
Well said Free.....I totally agree. No yearning for booze here but when familiar scenarios creep up it is almost like a comfort to go to what we know.

Keeping that guard going here!!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

To my ArtSOUL SISTER

Hi babe, just logged in and saw your post! I am thinking about you and want to reinforce what all of the wonderful previous posters have said. You can and will make it through the rough spots...

So, taking a bit of a risk here and I am going youtube - a little vid for ya!!!!!
To preface, you might be like huh? I love this song, I think of it because it reminds me that nothing changes if nothing changes - to go back to drinking really will yield all of those damned horrible feelings and unwanted consequences. So I wised up and gave up, this is a soothing reminder.

YouTube - Aimee Mann - Wise up [It's not going to stop]

love you gurl and sooo thankful that you are a part of my journey too!!!

xoxo Pork!!!

oh, and you still might be like huh? LOL
Old 07-28-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks, Harry, Robert, Freeport, Kmber and PorkChopped et al......... How can I lose when you guys have my back?!?

Loved the song, PC!! I've always been really moved by music of any kind (well, maybe except Polka on an accordian)....... And the words were simple in a profound way. I'll be singing it in my head in the future.... hugs back at ya!

Today was easier (just a little trepidation right now cuz it's evening again). I did get ALOT of work done, so am happy about that. One of the things that helps me the most besides support from you all is reading newcomer's posts. That always takes me back to the way it truly was almost 3 months ago.

Another thing that's helping, which I just wanted to throw in here, is that the more I can stop and tell myself that I love me, the easier it is to feel positive about sobriety. I wonder if that's true for all alcoholics..............

Thanks again!