Notices

8 Days without alcohol very tired

Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 Days without alcohol very tired

It has been 8 days without alcohol and I have been home with my husband after staying with a friend for two nights. We have not had any fights and he is on his second day of not drinking. He is driving himself into the ground with exercise to sleep. He hasn't done any serious exercise for months (years) and has ridden his bike for an hour each day and done a 1 hr walk on a trail with weights. When I asked him why he said how else do you expect me to sleep? (He was self medicating with alcohol in part due to poor sleep) I am pretty fit and woke up this morning exhausted (I run 5 to 10km five days a week and do weights 3 times a week and have done for years). The emotional toil of dealing with my husbands depression, the arguing and maybe quitting alcohol has left me exhausted. I could not get out of bed this morning and called work to say I was sick. Can quitting alcohol give you this fatigue at some point or do people think it is all the other stuff that I am dealing with? I went to our Doctor today and told him about a lot of stuff. He treats my husbands depression. I told him how much he had been drinking and hopefully he can stay off the alcohol and talk him into some counselling. I so much felt like a drink tonightas soon as I walked in the door to lighten the mood and get that cheery buzz and get a bit of happy going. I feel like I don't have that to enjoy with my husband now even though it is counter productive many times. I simply cannot because of the antabuse which saves a lot of angst out of the deciding. Happy Cat has run out of Happy............
Old 07-12-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

With all the changes and stress going on in your life I'd think it was stress making you feel badly. If you're only 8 days sober you're just past the physical withdrawal too so that may contribute to your feeling crummy. Give it a little more time and if you're not feeling better within a few weeks or so see your doctor again. Congrats on your sober time!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You were on my post, so I thought I'd say something on yours. It looks like we got something in common, but boy do we both wish we didn't. It does sound like you have other complications in your life that may be contributing to the way you feel. I'm single and alone in my house which makes me sometimes wonder if having someone else there with me would make this easier or more difficult.

I'm sure that if you keep up with your workouts, that this will move faster for you. At least that's what I've been reading on a lot of posts. I'm planning on getting back to my workouts starting today. I just cant wait to get back to being myself again.

Good luck with everything, and congrats on 8 days!
Old 07-12-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it might be the combined mental stress along with the alcohol withdrawal...8 days is great but everyone is different.

I can so relate to physical exercise to sleep...I too have chronic insomnia for years and i think this contributed to me drinking myself to stupor at night.

if it is working for your husband, let him do it (but not over do it)...he may feel worse for a couple of days, but if he is getting a good night's rest, it is probably worth it and it will also combat his depression.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that what you are finding is that you need to find new and healthy ways to feel good and be happy. It's not an overnight process, so be patient with yourself. And, the emotional changes that happen in early recovery can also be very tiring. It sounds like you're in very good shape, so I think if you hang in and keep moving forward, you'll feel better soon.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna

[QUOTE=Anna;2650295]I think that what you are finding is that you need to find new and healthy ways to feel good and be happy. It's not an overnight process, so be patient with yourself.

Thank you Anna, that seems like smart advice. Sometimes I want to fix things right away, and if I can't I get frustrated. Thank you