Notices

giving up smoking....

Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

giving up smoking....

I am gonna give it up....now

I'm having a cold anyways, i'm coughing so hard everybody at my work thinks i got bronchites or something....

I don't want to wake up some day having this permanently....

This is my last step,

It's oke if I don't manage to do this, as long as I maintain my sobriety, but it allready feel great mentally....being completely free of harmfull substances...

the last rough patch I have got to take...
Old 07-08-2010, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, Coming Clean.

Quitting smoking is tough -- I've been there. Do you have a plan for getting yourself over the cravings? Cinnamon gum worked wonders for me. So did drinking lots of water. I think I've read that nicotine leaves the body pretty quickly. After a few days, it's mostly psychological cravings.

You'll notice pretty quickly -- in the first week -- how much better you smell after you stop.

Stay strong.

ddog
Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Yep, you can do this. The first 3 days are the worst. Then the next couple of weeks you will have a brain fog (some say I never lost mine ), but it will start getting easier after that. Around day 50 you might have a brain fog relaspe for a day or two, then that should be it.
I quit back in April, and I know if I can do it anyone can.

Agreed with above. Keep lots of gum, and stuff handy. I chewed on cinnamon sticks, and coffee straws a lot in the beginning, as you also have a habit witht he hands and mouth you have to break as well. Not as hard to do as the nicotine withdrawels, but if you have something to substitute in the beginning it helps tremendously.

You can do this!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Good for you! I just finished reading Caroline Knapp's book, Drinking: a Love Story, and I was devastated to read that only 8 years after she quit drinking, she died from lung cancer.

When I quit smoking for ~2.5 years (I have since picked up a little again, unfortunately, but that's another story), I used the patch for the first 30 days, and I would strongly recommend it.