Notices

NintyONE days - ha HA!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

NintyONE days - ha HA!

Whew! I haven't been sober this long, without any "just a sip/just one" slip-ups, since before I was 17 (26 now). This is AWESOME! I feel almost powerful again - like the exuberance I used to have when I was in my late teens, you know? I mean, I have energy again - and when I'm tired, I sleep true deep sleep. My skin looks so healthy, and I've dropped probably 10 lbs so I'm in an average range again for my height

I think back to those first two weeks and cringe. Thank the heavens that my memory of that time is so vivid. I don't want to ever forget how sh***y and god-awful I felt after my last binge, and how long it took to feel not like death, and instead comfortable in my own skin again!

At my outpatient group meeting this past Thursday, we focused on the topic of boredom as being a major trigger for those of us in early recovery. I imagine that boredom will eventually be a big trigger for me too - especially once the Minnesotan Desolate Winter descends. However, while it's summer right now, I haven't felt bored. I guess I've just been keeping myself too busy. I also have been pushing myself to not be lazy, do you know what I mean? I won't just sit around; I go for walks, or work on something creative, or read, or hang out on here. My friends have all been majorly supportive, so that helps a LOT - it means that when I feel inclined to go to any of the many festivals and celebrations here, I've got friends who will steer me away from the beer tent, or go buy me a pop to quench my thirst before the craving for a cool, frothy brew hits.

I'm just feeling really great, and I wanted to post about it for two reasons. This first is selfish: I want this in my posting history to be able to come back to when temptation strikes - to see what I would be "throwing away" if I were to go down the drinking rabbit hole. The second is what I hope can be considered "giving back". I want anyone lurking or just starting out to see how much 90 days of sobriety can make someone gush There is a light at the end of the tunnel of those first few weeks and months: and it's a welcome feeling of balance.

You see, I'm bipolar, so (if untreated) my moods can swing all over the place, and I used to try to control things with drinking. So, once I stopped and started to detox, I felt, frankly, insane. I needed medication to help because I needed to pay attention to and try to help that condition if I were to have any hope of staying sober. So, if you have even the slightest suspicion you might have a mental health condition, no matter how minor or severe, I urge you to check in with a professional about it and be COMPLETELY UPFRONT about where you're at with your drinking or sobriety. This road has been sooooooooooooooo much easier to travel with medical assistance for my mental health issues... I would've otherwise been trying to white-knuckle this stint of sobriety.

Alrighty, I believe I've posted enough. Thanks for reading dear reader!

Blessed be, and merry part!

Oh, btw, Saturday is ruled by (duh) Saturn - good old planet of time and change. It's an extremely potent day for facing upheaval and making deep changes in yourself. Go vegan for a day today - I bet you can do it! Or don't smoke today - just for today. The celestial bodies are fully on your side to give it a shot!

WW
Old 06-26-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats WW!!!! You are inspiration to us so gush on!! So proud of you and what you have accomplished. Sobriety is work but the rewards of positive, healthy living are endless.

Huggs!!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm just feeling really great, and I wanted to post about it for two reasons. This first is selfish: I want this in my posting history to be able to come back to when temptation strikes - to see what I would be "throwing away" if I were to go down the drinking rabbit hole. The second is what I hope can be considered "giving back". I want anyone lurking or just starting out to see how much 90 days of sobriety can make someone gush There is a light at the end of the tunnel of those first few weeks and months: and it's a welcome feeling of balance.
It will be helpful to have this to read if you get tempted, and it will be very helpful and hopeful to newcomers reading who are at the start of their own sober journey. Thanks for posting and congrats on your sober time!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

WhiteWave, good for you!

I'm glad you're doing well, and your point about mental issues is very important. There are many of us here who began to drink, in order to self-medicate.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Excellent post! Congratulations on your sobriety - you've inspired me today and I thank you for that!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice one on 91 days sober!!!!

peace
Old 06-26-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whitewave,

I too am gushing.

Congratulations on this milestone!

SM
Old 06-26-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Awesome post! And, Congrats!
Old 06-26-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post! Congratulations WW.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations WhiteWave
Sadly I'm reading this on a Sunday....LOL

D
Old 06-26-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

Thank you all for the congrats! I feel so fortunate to have access to this place for both the good times like this, as well as the difficult times. I had posted a thread a while ago about an ongoing rough situation for me - the support I received there brought tears to my eyes. Now, the various encouraging congratulatory posts have again made me misty-eyed

Thanks again, and have a good rest of your night/day!

WW