Notices

In Withdrawal Now!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

In Withdrawal Now!

Hello all,
I am a new member of the forums. It's so great there is somewhere to turn to in the middle of night when I am freaking out of mind! I was on a 5-day bender last week that ended Sunday night, so this my 4th day in withdrawal. I have never been this bad before.

Starting last Wednsday, I drank approximately 20-24 beers a day until Sunday night. My live-in girlfriend was away during this time, and I am not working yet as we have just moved to a new city. I used the World Cup of Soccer games every day as an excuse to start drinking at 10am...and i didnt stop after those games. Drank until I ran out each day.

When I woke up Monday morning, I had a hell of a hangover that I thought would go away by Tuesday. This was no hangover. By tuesday, I couldn't eat, I was profusely sweating and having borderline panic attacks. I walked to the store to get a paper and juice but I could barely cross the road cuz i kept thinking I was going to get hit by a car. The store clerk asked if I was ok cuz my hands were shaking and i was pouring on sweat. Later, I remembered that scene from Leaving Las Vegas when Nic cage couldnt talk to the ticket agent at the airport until he had a few drinks. Wow..I thought..I have a serious problem.

Day 4 now...I am still sweating and anxious...girlfriend thinks I have the flu. Besides a few naps here and there, Ive been up for 48 hours straight and can barely eat a thing. I see 'things' in the corners of my eyes and I jump at any loud sound. I even jumped at my own reflection as I walked past a mirror.

How much longer can I expect this to last? Should I go to a doctor, even though I think the worst has past?

Any advice appreciated
Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always recommend going to a Dr - especially if you've been suffering for 4 days. The things in the corner of the eye would be enough to get me there.

D
Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe you should seek medical treatment, from what I understand withdrawal can have very serious health consequences and should be medically supervised.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Jitterbug

First off, Good on you for lasting 4 days!

I had most of the symptoms you are describing a little over a month ago when I put it all down. Like the people have said, keep a close watch on yourself and do seek out medical attention if you get any worse.

Some help on how I got through it.

for the sweats, make sure you are drinking a good amount of water and some V8 to replace what your losing. At bed time bring 4-5 complete changes of cloths and keep the window open if you can. Take a shower if you wake up soaked, it does help. your going to sweat it out for at least 7-10 days.

For the no eating - I could not even brush my teeth without gagging. I found that lots of fresh fruit was key. Grapes, oranges or whatever your favorite is. At least this is something rather than nothing. Your appetite will come back soon, look forward to eating all the great stuff you love.

As for the Raw, shaky feelings. It got so bad in the beginning I had to stop everything I was doing and just sit quite and concentrate only on my breathing. I spent 1 full minute just concentrating on breathing in and out nice and slow and just listen to it. Worked for me every time.

Insomnia sucked and I suffer from it normally so I did not sleep for a long long time. I got some new books and read them till I passed out. Also spent a tone of time reading here on this forum

Keep at it, your doing great. In a week or so you are going to start feeling physically better.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, alcohol withdrawal can be fatal. Go see a Dr now.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Jitterbugg. Some good suggestions already, so I'll just add my concern and support for you. I was drinking almost round the clock too, when I became terrified that I was going to die. I had things I still wanted to accomplish and make right in my life - I couldn't leave yet! That's what got me off the stuff - but it was horrible those first few days. Thank you for the reminder. As the memories of withdrawal dim, it's easy to tell yourself it wasn't that bad.

I hope you'll seek medical help, too - I was told I could've had a seizure or stroke by stopping abruptly on my own. Once this is over, you never have to put yourself through it again. You'll begin to rebuild all that you've lost, and have a whole new life. No more being numb & phoning it in. Keep talking to us & let us know how your progressing.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, please get medical help, either from your own doctor or the ER. Better safe than sorry. I stopped drinking and started again so many times and each time I did the w/d got worse. Once you get safely past this you never have to go thru it again if you just don't pick up that first drink.