Notices

*Video* Ya Stop, You Find A Higher Power; And Then You Die!

Old 06-15-2010, 12:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy *Video* Ya Stop, You Find A Higher Power; And Then You Die!

This has really troubled me. I crossed paths with Peter over the years. I was elated, when I heard he had stopped drinking, and also, had stopped doing cocaine. FYI-he never did drugs, till he turned FORTY!

I recall him saying, how F'ing stoooopid was it to start at THAT age.

Anyway, this has really kicked my butt. I was doing good. He inspired me. Then, I learned he had passed away. Immediately, I went right back to the drinking. I was like the damage is done. Been doing it to myself, a lot longer than him. I can't HEAL at 50. Why try...??? But still I want to.

Anyway... He passed sober. He passed at peace. Still, it's troubled me.

Type O Negative Interview HARDTIMES.CA Video by HARDTIMES.CA - MySpace Video

Thoughts are appreciated. I haven't been able to get past this for a few months now.

My deepest respect, to all those that struggle, and find the courage fight the good fight...
Old 06-15-2010, 02:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Nightwolf,

He can keep on inspiring you, he went because it was his time to go, it just isn't yours yet. Nothing you do can bring him back physically, but he can still be a part of your HP. Everytime you think of him he's alive and kicking, in the past and in the now.

That's how I feel about it with a good friend of mine and co-alcoholic, his physical body is nowhere to be seen anymore, but OMG I sure feel his presence and I thank him every night (well, I try not to forget) for watching over me. His wife told me how he went and it couldn't have been more peacefull and serene. He died a happy man, so why shouldn't I be happy with him and for him?

This might sound a bit harsh but please don't use your great inspiration as an excuse to drink , turn it around and use it as a force that guides you. I'm pretty sure he'd want you to use him that way, because he's part of our bunch.

Age ain't nothin' but a number, how cliché that might sound it really is actually. Some people live to be 16, other to be 102, you know? So it's never too late and never too soon to do what you feel you need to do.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Night....I'm glad you are here and thank you for sharing. I see things this way on the subject.

As long as you are breathing....you can make change.
Don't count yourself out as done because the fire is inside.
Alcoholics will find and use any excuse to drink. You can stop.
An alcoholic death is a painful.....slow process.

I wish you strength and hope you get to a better place. His story should encourage you to push even harder to remain sober. Life is better through sobriety.

All the best!
Old 06-15-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I might just put a different perspective on this, then again my thoughts have never been proven as normal and average.
First let me say how sorry I am about your friend. I myself lost two very good friends to this disease.
Your post comes at the right time for me. Lately I have been hearing a lot about people not wanting to die and using that as a motivator.
I'm really a little bummed about that, because although I have come close a couple of times, this motivator will never do it for me.
You see I am not afraid of death. It's our natural destiny, a certainty, we will all die at one point and just like my alcoholism, I have fully accepted that.
No I'm not suicidal and my depression is under control (yes it is!). I try enjoy life, but I am at peace with death if that makes sense.
I don't know if your friend died because of the consequences of the addictions or if it was of other causes. Either way you can be certain it was his time and he would not want you to use that to go back to drinking. It's your mind that is trying to convince you, nothing else. Trust me, mine does that often enough to me.
Please be strong in memory of your friend. I'm thinking of you.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are times that we all do things that are not the best for our health.

Try to believe that you have done the best you could do and will continue to do the best you can. That's all anyone can do.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Type O was (is) one of favorite bands and Peter Steele was one of my favorite front men. Great voice, so much to say, and SO creative & talented. Poor guy, I hope he truly did find some kind of peace before he died because it was obvious that he was looking for some. The way I see it though, his lifestyle finally caught up to him and cost him his life. His poor health and early death only reaffirmed for me my decision to get clean & sober before it was too late, before the damage was beyond repair. I can relate to Peter in many ways, not the least of which is the fact that he was like 6'6, and I'm even taller....
Old 06-15-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Ya Stop, You Find A Higher Power; And Then You Die!
That's in store for us whether we stop and find a higher power or not. The kicker is how much can we accomplish while we're here. I, for one, know that I've got a pretty good shot at being SOMETHING good if I stay away from drink and stay as connected as I can to God.