Notices

new and this is it!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new and this is it!

I'm new here and not sure if this is the place for introductions or not?
I have been drinking heavily since age 11 (thanks Dad!)
it is now 33 years later and most of my life has been a blurr.
I can't do it anymore!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Hello and welcome, yes u are in the right place. Well done for wanting to take the first step. There are so many wonderful people here to support you. The stickies above the threads are a great help. Keep posting and we'll keep reading.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you found us!

I'm glad you have decided to live a sober life.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! There's lots of support and useful info here, so avail yourself of it. Read and post your questions. It's hard to stay sober sometimes but the rewards are worth the effort.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

GG
Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am worried.I have made this decision before many times only to fail.
in the last 25 yrs I have only managed 9 days sober at a time.
where to go from here I don't know I have never talked to anyone about it until now.
Thank you for the warm welcome.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here sharing with us......
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 06-14-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done for joining us and welcome. Keep posting and reading. You will find loads of support and empathy here.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Chance,

Welcome! You are in the best possible place.

May I ask what you have done previously to stay off the booze? I had many periods of abstinence but always drank again. I've now got some amazing support both here and at AA and am starting to develop tools to manage my alcoholism one day at a time, and to STAY sober.

Nice work getting to SR.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobermax View Post
Hi Chance,

Welcome! You are in the best possible place.

May I ask what you have done previously to stay off the booze? I had many periods of abstinence but always drank again. I've now got some amazing support both here and at AA and am starting to develop tools to manage my alcoholism one day at a time, and to STAY sober.

Nice work getting to SR.
sadly I have only been able to go 9 days without drinking in the last 25 years. its sounds so sick when I type that because I have wasted so much time that I will never be able to get back. I went on a bad binge last Sunday night and and woke up tuesday badly hungover and realized it was my 44th Birthday and here I am still doing the same old thing but this time it was much worse I got so trashed that I busted up my face with a fight with the floor. the floor won. I guess the 3rd 5th and couple of cases were more than I could handle. thankfully I never drink outside the house I always stock up with enough booze to throw a huge party for normal people. then I started drinking again on Thursday and woke up Friday sick and thats when I realized more than ever I need help its either me or the bottle and just the thought of not drinking has me really worried I have a bad habbit of justifing my drinking with stupid thoughts like what the h*ll differance does it make. you only live once. I can't have any alcohol ever..........NOT EVEN A LITTLE!
I have only started getting the morning after shakes the last year or so but I know my insides are torn up because I can feel the pain today is only day 3 but I can already feel my system healing itself and I want more than anything to rid myself of this demon in my life but its so hard when its all I've ever known I have 2 brothers and a sister they are all addicted to something heroin,booze,pot it just go's on and on it may sound dumb but I am glad that I never did anything but drink I saw my sister a couple years back and what the heroin has done to her is shocking to say the least yet I am no better mine is just a differant crutch. I am so ready to be clean & sober there is so much I want to do that I can't do right now with this monkey on my back so I decided to start here this is the 1st time I have ever talked to anyone about this besides my Husband which he too is in the same situation its like the blind leading the blind we both rationalize and tell each other " just a little won't hurt anything" but I know it does we are not able to have just one it always gets more and more until we find ourselves back in the same old boat.
its really funny tho you could look at our home the cars we drive and you would think they really have it together but we don't its all just a lie and I am so amazed that we have kept it together this long all I can say is there must be someone looking out for us even tho we don't deserve it.
Thanks for the vent.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I only found this place on Friday and it's already a lifeline to me. Listen to the people on here - they speak so much sense! Good luck and welcome xx
Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

1lastchance - welcome to a fellow Marylander. I'm so glad you found us and joined the family. This place saved my life - before I came here I had no one I could discuss my addiction with. Everyone thought it was lack of willpower or weakness. When I came here I found so many others just like me, with the same stories - I was comforted and encouraged. I could beat this thing and get well! Here I am at 2 yrs. 5 mos. sober. That's after over 25 yrs. of drinking.

In the end, I drank daily too. What was fun and relaxing long ago became a living hell. I was drinking 100 proof vodka to try and feel high and happy, but those feelings were never coming back for me. I felt I was going to die when I finally came here, broken and desperate. It sounds like you're getting help at the right time - your body can't continue to take that abuse.

It would be best if you could have medical supervision due to withdrawal being dangerous sometimes. Drinking for that many years your body will be shocked when you cut off the supply.

You can have a whole new life and no longer be a slave to your addiction. You may not be able to get back the lost years, but don't dwell on that. Instead, look at the beautiful and healthy life you still have ahead of you. You can learn to live again in a new way. Please keep posting.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey 1LC,

same here: nice place to live, decent job, all the trappings of a normal life, but eaten up inside with self-disgust, guilt and shame. It felt like a rollercoaster that never ended: what started out as something thrilling and exciting, became confusing, frightening and made me ill. Although I haven't lost my career, marriage or long-term wellness, there is no doubt in my mind that I will if I keep drinking, in fact it'll kill me.

I recommend taking some action - that might mean getting yourself to an AA meeting today, reading and posting here, a combination of the two or something else entirely, but it won't go away of its own accord. No matter how much we wish to be 'normal drinkers', the devastation alcohol has wreaked on our lives, and the countless failed attempts to stop on our own terms demonstrate that we need some sort of ongoing support.

Please keep posting!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank's you Guy's so much! I am so glad I took a step and so glad I found this site and we are not alone. I truly feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest and I know I will have good days and bad days Today is a good day I said it out loud and I will use this forum when the bad days come and I will go back and read the threads and my posts to remind myself of what's important and that's living a sober healthy life. I am excited to see what it feels like to have a clear mind and a body that no longer hurts. today I am feeling euphoric and a bit preoccupied I guess thats normal.
I have thought about the withdrawls and its one of my biggest worries I have never been one to visit the Doctor's but if I see there is a need I will it was hard enough just saying all this out loud even if it is online.
I also know we are in for the biggest battle of our lives and we want to live
one thing I realize and that is when you find yourself so deep in to any addiction you are not living you are just exsisting from one high to the next.
I have heard in some threads about sponsors what and who are they? also something called the Big book is it worth a read?
how did you all stop the self abuse? I know there is no magic pill but does everyone just quit cold turkey? is there other ways? in my case I know I am either drinking or I am not there's no in between so I guess I will need a lot of will power. I quit smoking cold turkey so I am hoping the desires for a drink will go away in time like the desire to smoke did. I hope
Old 06-14-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome 1lastchance! It's hard to admit we need help, so congrats for doing that. I felt that same kind of relief when I posted here, too. (Although, it was almost like an out-of-body thing, cuz I couldn't believe I was actually posting!).
when you find yourself so deep in to any addiction you are not living you are just exsisting from one high to the next.
That is so true.... And it only seems to get worse until we choose to get sober. I could feel my health starting to decline, and didn't even realise until I had several days sober how utterly miserable I was used to feeling.

We've all been where you're at right now and know that you can do this. Each day will be better, and you're going to love the mornings waking up without a hangover! Take it one day at a time or one hour at a time, and use every avenue of support. This stuff is nothing to mess with - and it really is a life or death deal.

Glad you're here!!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Welcome 1lastchance! It's hard to admit we need help, so congrats for doing that. I felt that same kind of relief when I posted here, too. (Although, it was almost like an out-of-body thing, cuz I couldn't believe I was actually posting!).

That is so true.... And it only seems to get worse until we choose to get sober. I could feel my health starting to decline, and didn't even realise until I had several days sober how utterly miserable I was used to feeling.

We've all been where you're at right now and know that you can do this. Each day will be better, and you're going to love the mornings waking up without a hangover! Take it one day at a time or one hour at a time, and use every avenue of support. This stuff is nothing to mess with - and it really is a life or death deal.

Glad you're here!!!!

^^ this guy speaks the truth, i talked to you a while ago on the chat thingie and you seem to be ready, you theorreticly made your first step, BUT you need to go over it with a sponser. if you need anything just message me and or anyone else here!
Oli