Notices

Anyone else experience this?

Old 06-11-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else experience this?

I dreamed I was drinking last night. As I was first waking up this morning I could feel the hangover. Then as I became more lucid I remembered I did not drink last night and therefore could not have a hangover. Very strange!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I've had that happen several times. The dreams and the feelings I have in them are so real and intense. So is the feeling of despair when I first wake up. But I sure am thankful it's just a dream and not a reality.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

me too....smoking weed that is....actually feeling guilty over the fact that I smoked, while I didn't !!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've had maybe a dozen of them. The guilt and the shame, the likes of which I haven't felt since I was IN my addiction, came rushing back like an atomic bomb blast. In one, I was in present day and a couple years sober. In the dream I weighed all the pros and cons, thought about my sobriety, thought about how I'd tell my loved ones and the ppl in the meetings.......then just said 'f-it and started partying. It shook me for a good part of the day even after I woke up.

One a good note, dreams like that remind us how precarious our position can be IF we're not taking the actions we need to be taking to maintain our sobriety.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Me too!! But I dreamed that I was trying to moderate but then decided to let people know that I didnt drink... then I was naked at a hotel resort we were staying in and my husband lent me his sweater... weird dream
Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by shelly009 View Post
Me too!! But I dreamed that I was trying to moderate but then decided to let people know that I didnt drink... then I was naked at a hotel resort we were staying in and my husband lent me his sweater... weird dream
How thoughtful of your husband.

I don't think I really remembered my dreams when I was drinking. When I did dream, it wasn't nearly as lucid as the ones I have now.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definitely been there, crazy huh!! Just goes to show that the mind remembers!!

-Lith
Old 06-11-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=

I don't think I really remembered my dreams when I was drinking. When I did dream, it wasn't nearly as lucid as the ones I have now.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the same for me. I had noticed a sense of more vivid dreams this week until your post reminded me that if I drink, I just pass out and don't dream at all. There's a metaphor in there somewhere.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some of you reminded me that for a few seconds there this morning I was feeling really guilty for having drank last night. It was a good feeling when I realized I hadn't and that guilty cloud lifted. I also enjoyed spooning up against my wife who usually asks me to keep my stinky whiskey breath to myself on my morning afters.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I dream CONSTANTLY about pain pills...it's like I can't even stop thinking about them when I'm sleeping...something that helps me is reading something light and funny before I go to bed--just get my head in a better place ya know? Good luck and sorry to hear about the rough times...but remembers everything passes...it really does
Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, this happened to me for the first few months. I'd have the cotton-mouth & all - would prop myself up on one elbow and really have to think hard to figure out if I drank or not. Phantom hangovers are common, apparently. Isn't it wonderful when you realize - no, I didn't drink - I'm sober and clearheaded!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes. I have dreamed repeatedly that I was drinking and in the dream I am always doing it in secret. I wake up feeling so guilty. I have also had dreams about smoking cigarettes and taking vicodin. It all feels very real. They can be very unsettling.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

from 2 months sobriety....here is my wierd dream...

Grateful for a peaceful Sunday morning.....I had a weird dream, i went to sit in an outdoor theater( located at my mother's nursing home)??? and asked a gentleman to move over so I could have the outside seat....he obliged me and opened his envelope style olive green, brown trimmed knapsack and took out 3 large PICKLES...and he told me his name was Clay Aiken......wooh! try to analyze THAT one!!!! it is very funny, no?
Old 06-11-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I had plenty of them,but not lately
I woke up many times feeling guilty only to realize it is a dream ...woke up scared some too,only to realize it is another dream..what a relief!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah, early in sobriety I had a bunch of them not so often now. I also had fake hangovers until I realized I had dreamed it all. Still can't figure out how dreaming of drinking can make me have a headache and be nauseous.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i had that 3-4 weeks into my sobriety! I woke up, not with a 'hangover', but with the self loathing I used to feel the morning after yet another binge. It took more than a few minutes to shake off the feeling.

you are not alone, it soon pasts!