Notices

1 more AA sponsor ?

Old 05-27-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Question 1 more AA sponsor ?

So I am going to an all woma's meeting tonight that I am praying to find my sponsor at.
I have been to 3 meetings since Monday and all different woman were at all three meetings, I WANT and NEED a sponsor tonight. Since I am VERY new to the program but want a sponsor and to start working the steps immediately, any suggestions on how to get one TONIGHT?
How do I pick her, do I just share (which I have never done yet) and say i need one regardless of what the topic is, or say it at the beginning of the meeting when I introduce myself? Is there someone in particular I talk to the meeting host? Just ask a random person that says something in the meeting I like and ask them at the end?
I guess there can be a lot of scenarios, I know there is no set "rule" or sign up sheet which would be nice so please let me know your thoughts on the best way to find her.
I AM coming home from that meeting with a sponsor if I have to tie her up and throw her in the trunk of my car, JOKE OF COURSE, but I REALLY dont want to leave there without a sponsor.
Oh and how do you ask someone? What if they say no just go on to the next person or ask them to point you to someone?
I'm rambling, please let me know your thoughts...
Thank God for SR, I dont know what i would do without this tool and outlet right now. Thank you all again

<3 Dream
Old 05-27-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dream, you sound like you have all the possible ideas lined up (except for the hostage taking, ha ha).

I remember somebody saying here a month or so ago that you should say out loud that your are Dream, you are here because you ____ and that you are looking for a sponsor. Somebody will shower their advice on this, but you know what you are doing, you just need confidence.

You're raring to go, that is great. Makes me glad!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good question Dream!

I'm actually in the same boat and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but should I just say out loud in the meeting that I'm looking for a sponsor (during the meeting) and I need someone to point me in the right direction?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How about bringing home a "temporary sponsor"?

Mine agreed to be mine on those conditions and she has been my sponsor since then.

She did not guarantee that she would though, and said upfront that I might need a new sponsor.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am raring to go, thanks for the advice. I am about to post about how I got to this point, it was somehting I started when answering you but since I am opening up like this and feel its helping me I will post a new thread with that novel on it.

Thank you for you response,
<3 Dream
Old 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes absolutely bangirl, a temp one will do me just fine right now. As long as I have one to get me started. I dont really even know what working the steps means, of course I have read them a million times and thats why I am so excited b/c it appears to be the key to unlocking years of misery I have caused myself and washing my hands of it and unchaining my heart so I can be happy again, but exactly what you do during that process, I am excited to find out, Ive heard about work books, and it all sounds GREAT to me!
<3 Dream
Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

When i first walked into the rooms, desperate and afraid i simply shared that in the meeting and that i needed a sponsor RIGHT NOW, even if it was just temporary. After the meeting at least 6 people approached me. I later switched sponsors but the temp got me through the first few weeks and i'm very grateful for that.

good luck!
Old 05-27-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow August thats good to know that makes me feel much better! May I ask you and banana how you picked from so amny people then?

Thanks! <3 Dream
Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i simply took the first one that offered. haha. at that point i figured that somebody with even 30 days clean couldn't possibly hurt me more than i was hurting myself. but the person that did offer had a couple years and i jumped on it.

we spoke daily at first and after a few weeks i decided to switch to someone i'd gotten to know by working on a 90 in 90 that had a lot of cleantime and an attitude and peace i desired. He's been my sponsor ever since and we talk regularly, play disc golf every saturday, have a sponsor family breakfast once a month, and most importantly work steps! My sponsor is incredibly honest with me and he's helped me immesurably.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That sounds great! Thats what I am looking for eventually too, minus the disk golf , but for now Ill take a door knob that has worked the steps successfully and has a decent amount of time and most importantly for me has done these things and is happy...truly happy, not someone going through any motions or is bieng a sponsor b/c they have to. I am sure those people wouldnt offer though.
Thanks!
<3 Dream
Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Don't knock disc golf till you try it, sista.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HA! I was joking, Brudah...it just may be a little rough, right now, for a girl that pretty recently had her spine fused, but other than that, I heard it really fun and the best work out eva.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Locking one in the trunk might raise some eyebrows but I think it's a great idea...lol
don't worry ...your gonna do just fine with an action attitude like that.
Why not share what you shared with us?...you need someone to help with direction through the book....someone with experience with the steps and someone that has recovered
same sex is important unless you have no other choice.
Don't be afaid...you will be helping your sponsor as well as you.
It's just a bunch of drunks with hopefully the solution you need.
In the mean time pick up the big book...and think about whatpowerless means to you.
God be with you.....if I can be of any help please feel free to pm me.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This thread is making me smile.

At several of the meetings I go to, they make an announcement at the end of the mtg. and ask anyone who's willing to be a temporary sponsor to raise their hands - at others they keep a list that you can look at after the meeting. You can also talk to the chair right after the meeting and ask him or her to help you find someone.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Step 12 is - Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics......

I suggest you say as part of your share that you are looking for someone who has had a spiritual awakening to show you how you can have one.

Anyone working Step 12, which is carrying the message that they have had a spiritual awakening as a result of the other steps, is likely to approach you.

Those who usually sponsor but have not had a spiritual awakening are likely to avoid approaching you as they won't know how to help you. If you had just said you were looking for a sponsor, they may approach you but that is not what you need if you want a spiritual awakening.

A spiritual awakening is important because it is what removes the mental obsesssion to drink alcohol. It means that you no longer have to try to stay sober or fight off urges to drink because the problem is removed.

It's a miracle and a gift from God. I hope you can find someone to show you how to have a spiritual awakening. Good luck.

Ronan posted a similar question in the 12 Step forum, there's plenty of response there to it - you might want to check it out too.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I want that VERY BADLY, I got a sponsor tonight, ayt least temo, didnt talk too much yet will tomorrow, and this is a ? I will certainly ask, thats a great one!

THANKS!
<3 Dream
Old 05-27-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I got a sponsor tonight, "ayt least temo"

HA HA! Sorry I meant, "at least a temp"
Old 05-28-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Those ayt least temo sponsors are the best kind!

Congrats on getting someone!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's why I got an ay temo sponsor, I hear they are the best!

I have been quite sleep deprived. Exercising, at least walking my dog, stretching a lot, doing my house stuff, played with my daughter in the yeard for an hour last night, even broke a sweat. Quite a sweat actually, and I am not a sweater (Im a person HA HA!) so I know it was detox but Ill take it.

But yeah I have notice my late evening early morning posts are a little crazy sounding but I am trying to catch it. I am ready to go to bed, I feel exhausted, I lay down to sleep and nada, until about 5 AM at least.

How are you today man?

<3 Dream

<3 Dream
Old 05-28-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I'm great. It's friday. Already played 18 holes of disc golf on my lunch break. Weather's great. Long weekend....Come on 5:00!