Notices

I had two beers tonight

Old 05-16-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterofLife View Post
I understand the distinction and people don't need to worry about me getting defensive. I appreciate all the warnings and I would hate to be following some kind of dependency formula into destruction (I don't think I am).

If I am a true alcoholic, I don't feel like one. I have never felt completely powerless over drinking. Even when my drinking has been excessive I still "moderate" to some degree because I don't really care for being drunk-- but alcohol was an excellent cure for a long day and regular allergies/sinus pressure. Last night I had a couple beers and was not stressed out about the fact that I wasn't going home to a bottle of a wine or a night cap (which was really my vice-- alcohol before bed).

I started using it as a crutch in the late hours between work in sleep to calm down from the coffee (something I also moderated)-- certainly not to get completely obliterated (a feeling I find rather distasteful because of the lack of control) but just to "unwind." When I started having 3-5 glasses of wine a night just to fall asleep (and more on weekends)-- I grew concerned and signed up here for advice. It was time to cut back and replace it with a healthier exercise (I chose fitness and drawing-- two things I did in my off-hours in college a couple years ago).

Well, going to suggest that if all you're seeking are moderation techniques, we recovering alcoholics/addicts here have nothing to offer by way of advice, merely cautionary tales of our own futile attempts at moderation.

Your original post struck a nerve, my own story of the occasion of my last drink, almost 3 1/2 years ago. Two days previous to that occasion, I was congratulating myself on the fact that I had managed to go to a bar and only consumed two beers.

Two nights later, on the occasion of my 50th birthday-just hours before, it was around 11ish, I was fully hammered. Funny, I recall from my early drinking days those times I would congratulate myself on not getting wasted on that rare occasion, and then 'reward' myself the next time.

Good luck with all that. Sincerely.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterofLife View Post
I think I'm learning that the difference between moderation and total sobriety actually isn't all that different.
I beg your pardon? I believe your definition of total sobriety and my definition of total sobriety are polar opposites.

I'm a real alcoholic. Moderation was never in my vocabulary or lifestyle.

Alcoholism kills. Therefore I prefer to remain sober.

Personally I think you should keep doing exactly what you're doing, and keep thinking the way you are thinking.

It will be interesting to see the results in a few months.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Well, going to suggest that if all you're seeking are moderation techniques, we recovering alcoholics/addicts here have nothing to offer by way of advice, merely cautionary tales of our own futile attempts at moderation.

Good luck with all that. Sincerely.
ain't that the truth.... i hope it works for them, but it's kinda like hoping that a person running directly at a brick wall will break threw. sure it can be done i guess, but that scenario is laden with with A LOT of broken bones...
Old 05-16-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Boop! Beep!

I've struggled for a long time with whether or not I'm an alcoholic(or what makes an alcoholic an alcoholic), or if I can drink in moderation. It's not impossible - drinking in moderation - but it generally comes down to wanting more and more from my own disposition with booze.

Sobriety to me is feeling cleansed.

However if you can savor a couple beers every once in awhile, there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Heathen

Non-alcoholics don't have to control or moderate their drinking. That being said, I would never want to have to.. I liked getting buzzed, sometimes drunk, and moderation kinda ruins that for me. Ill pass! Add my vote that moderation and sobriety arent even close to the same thing, fwiw.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This is just my own opinion, the fact that there is even a question, because I have been there countless times, grilling myself, telling myself, and denying myself, leaves me amazed that we are so powerless. It's the finial defeat faze that eventually gets us.

Good luck, I hope you are at peace, cause once peace is found it is truly amazing.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Obsessing over how much you can or cant drink is just that obsessing... I would rather just not drink at all.

Then again, I don't get the point in having one or two.... I want it all or nothing. Admitting to myself & others that I am an alcoholic has been a huge weight off of my shoulders ;-)

For now "nothing" is more for me because I am a better person sober & get more out of life that way too.

May your way work for you

All of the best.

NB
Old 05-16-2010, 01:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I hope this works for you. (I'm not being sarcastic. I know if I have just one or two, those one or two drinks invite their friends and pretty soon I'm sloshed. Funny thing...I don't even really like the taste of alcohol any more, but that didn't stop me. I would probably drink camel urine if it had a high enough alcohol content.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gwyntissel View Post
I would probably drink camel urine if it had a high enough alcohol content.
LOL sorry had to laugh at that one :rotfxko
Old 05-16-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Well let me tell you from being in the trenches for a while that moderation is a laugh at best. You start off with only 2 beers and you feel fine. But if you're a true alcoholic then you have a similar night like I just had and you're drinking 20+ beers, blowing money you shouldn't be spending, making an ass out of your self and for some odd reason take a **** on your book shelf. Oh yeah, fun times.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Water, thanks for the post,

Sounds like you are a moderate drinker.

It'll be clear to you when, or if,...... you ever step over that invisible line and become an abnormal drinker.

Good luck with your training for your upcoming Marathon !!

that takes some serious focus and dedication.