Notices

Gifts of Recovery

Old 05-09-2010, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gifts of Recovery

Hi everyone!

Just checking in.

I'm actively involved in AA. I have a sponsor. Haven't started the steps yet, but my sponsor is starting me on them soon. Have a service commitment. And I reach out to others in the program.

Yesterday, I went to visit a fellow member who was injured in an accident and was not able to attend a meeting and was home alone. I went over to see if I could do anything for her and took her a get well card.

I'm happily sober and recovering from a very destructive alcohol addiction.

I ended up having to drop out of school, lost my job, friends, self-respect, and began having serious health issues which were not typical of someone in their 20s.

The loneliness and pain caused by my daily drinking is indescribable. I never thought I would be able to put the drink down. It became a horrible everyday habit and I couldn't stop. It controlled me.

I am going back to school this fall, looking for a job, actively involved in AA, and have my bills paid.

I feel free, happy, and grateful for my recovery and a new life.

*Hugs*
Old 05-09-2010, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!

Great to see that you are actively making changes in your life and are involved in AA. The step work that your sponsor will guide you through will give you a new freedom, well a new life actually...and means you wont be scratching your head and off on another disastrous dry spell in your 30's like i did!

My friend got sober in AA and is still sober, he's 27 now...wow did he hit it hard though, he was getting health issues at 25 and the guy was seemingly to look at him fit...what a mess he was when he walked into AA, already had tried rehab, anti depressants, antabuse, counselling, hypnotheraly, NA beer etcetc...its great to see people like you getting it young...remember most alcoholics never get it and die insane, most not in tragic or dramatic circumstances...just after a miserable existence of always trying to control or stop drinking, looking for the next greatest thing that will help them...really sad..you will avoid all that!
Old 05-09-2010, 03:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you have found a new life in recovery. That is great.

I can relate to what drinking robbed you of. I can also relate to what recovery has given you.

Our recovery paths maybe slightly different but they ultimately lead to the same destination... Freedom from chemical addiction and a hope and optimism that life can truly be what we want it to be. Recovery is so rewarding and enriching.

I am really pleased to see another 'younger' person succesful in recovery from alcoholism. 'One day at a time'.

Increase The Peace
Old 05-09-2010, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Alcohol took away my self respect too. It's so nice to get it back now that I'm sober. Not having to lie all the time, to myself and others, is also a great feeling.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good for you for finding sobriety in your twenties. Excellent! You have a promising future, now!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you my friend...and I'm glad you've got things back on track
welcome back!

D
Old 05-09-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back Hope.....
Old 05-09-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I missed SR and all the wonderful people here.

That is what was missing in my life.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and good that you are in recovery. Keep up the good work. You are a great person and I'm glad you are in recovery.