Notices

Had a drink

Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had a drink

Had a drink....just one and it wasnt my normal poison. Thats it.....didnt get plowed stopped at one. Should I start my date over? Actually I was drinking green tea helping my wife do some computer work. She went to refill my tea and put a shot of cc with water. Looked the same to me till I tasted it. I said what are you doing she said I have done so good I deserved it. Well did I blow it? Start over or continue on?
Thanks in advance,
Lazyboy
Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Continue on what? Drinking? No, you should tell your wife not to do that again. You should continue NOT to drink. Did you drink the entire cup or stop after you realized what she had done? You also might encourage your wife to learn about alcoholism. Would she give a peanut butter sandwich to someone allergic to peanuts?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Continue on what? Drinking? No, you should tell your wife not to do that again. You should continue NOT to drink. Did you drink the entire cup or stop after you realized what she had done? You also might encourage your wife to learn about alcoholism. Would she give a peanut butter sandwich to someone allergic to peanuts?
Sorry about the confusion......should I start a new dos....I didnt get drunk didnt even feel the one jigger. She made the drink with. I hate to think I have to start a new date. And no Im not going to drink again. Thanks,Lazyboy
Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Whether or not to start a new sobriety date is totally up to you. If you stopped after you realized there was alcohol in the drink, I'd keep the same date, but if you drank the entire cup knowing it contained alcohol, I'd start a new date. But, like I said, it's up to you.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

If I ever take a purposeful drink of alcohol, I would start a new date. I stopped lying to myself ( and others) when I committed to living sober.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Definitely agree with what Suki said, BUT if it makes you throw in the towel because you have to start over then do not. I think whatever gets your mind through it and makes you move forward is the road I would take.

As for your wife, you need to have a serious, long talk with her. You no longer celebrate sobriety with "a" drink. You find other ways of celebrating. Make of lists of other ways and give her that so in the future she can refer to it when wanting to make notice of your accomplishment.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Definitely agree with what Suki said, BUT if it makes you throw in the towel because you have to start over then do not. I think whatever gets your mind through it and makes you move forward is the road I would take.

As for your wife, you need to have a serious, long talk with her. You no longer celebrate sobriety with "a" drink. You find other ways of celebrating. Make of lists of other ways and give her that so in the future she can refer to it when wanting to make notice of your accomplishment.
Celebrating sobriety with a drink, I like that :P

Lazyboy, lots of us can have one or two drinks and *force* ourselves to stop for a little while. Before you know it we're back to our old tricks though..
Old 05-04-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Lazyboy, I don't understand why your wife would do this. I hope that if you continue to abstain you will discuss this with her and she can help you stay (completely!) dry. Good luck. As for days, I really have no idea but would second the others who say you should do whatever helps you most.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

13 days...I'm sticking with that.....If I fall off the wagon and get drunk I'll start over......aint gonna happen! Thanks for your input gang your alot of help for me getting through this. Have a business social tomorrow night......wish me luck!
Peace,Lazyboy
Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You really should say something to your wife though so she stops 'rewarding' you with booze.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Heathen

"Do or do not, there is no try"

My sobriety date reflects the last time I drank..not the last time I drank til I was drunk.

Hopefully this doesn't snowball for you, and you start drinking often, and start deciding whether or not you're drunk from it..I know as much as I lied to myself when I was active, that would have been a recipe for disaster.

Doesn't really matter if your wife offers a drink, you'll choose to drink til you're done, like we all have. Be safe.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If i knew what was in the cup and
took a drink....with intentions....
then my conscience, my gut,
speaks for itself.

If i didnt have a conscience or if
guilt or shame didnt bother me
then i would move on....

Those old ghosts keep popin
in to ever remind me of things
i did or do.

My conscience or gut never fails
me.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear what happened Lazy. Agree with others that you must have that chat with the wife. Ultimately it is on you to drink or not to drink but tippin a little booze into your tea......would flip me out. I am a bit tired tonight but you are in recovery and she is not supporting you by what she did. Sometimes we have to spell it out to our friends and loved ones who my not fully understand what we are dealing with.

As far as a restart date....well as others have posted....that is on you my friend. The fact you are concerned about the drink kinda answers the question. My sobriety date for me (I of course relapsed eventually from having one drink so I know I can't touch the stuff) is the date I tossed the boozed and chose 100% abstinence.

We are always here for you and know that living the sober life isn't about how many days, etc. They are markers for our journey but days do not define what and who we are. There is far more to our recovery then that.

All the best my friend and keep going and have that chat with your wife.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

"Do or do not,there is no try"
I'd change the date if you drank it after knowing what was in it.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looking back at my drinking career I realise now every time I drank, whether I got drunk or not, I was feeding the beast.

There's drinking and there's recovery - you can't do both.

I'm not beating on you, but I really think it's important you, and your wife, realise that Lazyboy.

D
Old 05-04-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
"Do or do not, there is no try"
YODA = You're Over Drinking Alcohol

or would it be "Over Drinking Alcohol, You Are"?

And, yeah, that's kinda messed up giving you a drink for "doing good". There are lots of other rewards wifes can give which would be much better for your sobriety.

Rev
Old 05-04-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So, uh, you just want to forget what happened? That's what you are doing by keeping your original date of sobriety. You should not do that if you want to continue your recovery from alcoholism. What happened is very important to your recovery and you should not squander some important lessons....

Both you and your wife consider a drink a reward for a job well done...

Understandable, I always felt like that for as long as I can remember... I had to smash that feeling. It's hard work reconfiguring your reward apparatus, You need vigilance AND the help of your wife, or at least, not having those close to you sabotage your efforts to recover from alcoholism....

You detected alcohol in your drink, but drank it anyway.

Did you want to stop drinking or not... You had a drink in your hand that you knew was alcoholic yet you kept drinking from it... Again, absolutely understandable, that's what alcoholics do!! You should look very hard at that, what happened there? Was it OK because you wife gave it to you? If so, why? Are you defenseless against that first drink? If so, that's important to recognize... because there is a solution, a defense, but you must seek it.

It didn't count because you did not feel it.

That's a lie. Again, absolutely understandable... Oh my God.... how many drinks I have taken on top of more drinks that I didn't count because I didn't feel it... I mean, hell, drinking a beer at lunch... sometimes during my work day... it didn't count... I didn't feel it.... That's just a bunch of bullsh1t I told myself... I'm sure my co-workers and clients would have said... it's OK, you don't feel it, have another... riiiiiggghhhtttt!

Your date of sobriety is important only to yourself. It doesn't matter to me or anyone else.... So if that's true, why p1ss all over it and make it absolutely meaningless.

Instead, take some valuable lessons from what happened. Maybe this recovery thing is more than just not drinking, huh?

I am not trying to be intentionally mean, but the idea that your date of sobriety is what you say it is... well, that's true... What, though, do you want to build on? Firm soil or a swamp?

Mark