Notices

Dual diagnosis program

Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dual diagnosis program

I talked to my therapist today. She wants me to go to a dual diagnosis program. I've already been diagnosed with Major Depression & this program treats that along with alcohol abuse.

I talked to a guy on the phone who runs the program. He said I would have to go to the treatment center for a work up. It would be determined then if I needed detox. If not then it's just a three weeks program every day from 9:00 until 2:00. It includes therapy, psychiatric care and group therapy for both alcohol abuse and depression. They also take urine tests and you're not allowed to drink or smoke or anything during the program. Can they measure alcohol through a urine test? I didn't think so but...

I am still under the same insurance as my parents so they would get the bill but they told me that it wouldn't specify alcohol abuse so my parents wouldn't have to know. I'm thinking about doing it. My mom is on board but I just told her it's for depression.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey SS - Of course, I don't know your circumstances, but I'd go for it! I'm glad they recognized that your depression needs to be treated as well as the alcoholism, and yes, it does give you a way to "explain" the treatment to others. I also suffer from it and the combo of the two can be deadly. Of course, alcohol makes depression alot worse and vice versa. If insurance covered more intensive therapy/treatment for me, I'd do it in a heartbeat. You're doing something loving for yourself, you know? Why not invest in your greatest asset?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey there Someone! I think the program sounds like a great idea. I had not heard of dual diagnosis programs. I am bi-polar and I am treated for that through my shrink. I went to alcohol rehab and depression/anxiety was not discussed.

I say go for it.

They can measure alcohol in your urine. I believe it can be up to 72 hours. It is something about how your liver breaks alcohol down- I am not sure of the details.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you go for it too SS

D
Old 05-03-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like a good plan to me. I too am dual diagnosed, depression and anxiety and manic depression besides the alcoholism, and the mental illness came long before the alcoholism. I was 'treating' the depression and anxiety by drinking it away, but it never really 'went away' and always came back worse the next day. That's no way to live. I hope this can be of great help to you, both in staying sober and getting some relief from the depression.

:ghug3
Old 05-03-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SS,
That is great news. I would absolutely go for it! That's my advice. It is great your therapist is focusing on depression and the alcohol abuse. Not just one or the other. You have a great opportunity in front of you. I say, Seize the Day!
SusanLauren
Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's good dual program is good it could really help you. Yes they can for sure test alcohol in your urine. That's the main way that they test for it.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Pretty sure I am going to go. Rule is that if you get caught with alcohol in your system more then two times than you have to go into their inpatient program. So that will certainly be a reason not to drink. I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks so much to ALL of you here! I never would have told her if I hadn't gotten your encouragement and wise words. I would start in two weeks, after school lets out.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad to hear that you made this decision and that you talked to your Mom. I know this will be very helpful for you.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear that you are going for it. I went to treatment 6 yrs ago - for concurrent disorders so I could address my alcoholism as well as my depression. It was inpatient, and I found the experience to be a positive one. I hope yours is the same.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

DO IT! I'm in the same boat, except I'm bipolar. I'm a mess, too. I just came into the group today and I already feel better and less alone by talking to all of these wonderful people that are/were in indescribable alcoholic pain. YOU ARE HELPING ME TOO! Thank you! Go for it. I'll be sending you good juju!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

whew! SS, yes this is a good positive thing to do....and your parent's insurance will most likely pay some of the billing...(depends on their plan).

you'll be getting to the roots of the problems and learn to live much happier overall.

I think you are being very smart and pro-active to do this....you are saving yourself from years of misery and unhappiness lurking in a bottle of vodka.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We have public insurance. Its like medicaid only that's not exactly what it is...it's the is special thing that Massachusetts has. I think it's called Masshealth. The director of the program said they take care of the insurance stuff and if it checks out then I can go. If we have to pay part of it then I can probably cover it, especially if I stop spending hundreds on alcohol... but hopefully I won't have to worry about that. I'll be working like 30 hours a week and making like 250/300 a week this summer. The program is outpatient as long as I don't need detox, which I'm hoping I wont especially if I can go in there and say I've already been sober for a week. Once I'm out I'll be able to work more but right now I can only do nights.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

when I stopped spending about $40.00+ per week on wine, it added up to the cost of my monthly cable/internet/landline or my gas and electric for the month....I started having $$ left over to pay off credit cards and pay less interest, easily pulling myself out of extra stupid debt....(the first month I did spend extra $$ on cookies and chocolate, but it was minimal)