Notices

near miss

Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

near miss

Got very tempted today. 25 days sober and i nearly ruined it. I've been really lucky not to have strong cravings so far. but today, had a piece of very happy news, tempted to celebrate. I was called out by some friends, and was really tempted to go. i considered briefly that i'd get away with just having a soft drink, but knew that i'd feel pressured to drink. I even considered briefly that i'd 'just have 1'.

in the end, i pulled up at a grocery store, walked straight to the candy counter and bought a box of mid price candy to celebrate instead.

I never met up with my friends in the end. I stayed at home, scoffing down the whole box. feel really sick and guilty, but at least the urged to go out, and 'let go' just passed.

really relieved, but still feel that I was tested and had to pay a price to stay sober. am gonna feel guilty over that chocolate binge for a while, but I figure that its worth it staying sober at all costs!

anybody else ever do something so extreme, just to avoid drinking! i hope it doesnt happen too often, i dont want to end up trading one health problems for another!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you made a good decision when you opted out of going. It really does get easier, and your cravings should subside over time. Try not to feel guilty over eating candy - it's a heck of a lot better than drinking. Whenever I got a craving in the early days of my sobriety, I tried different things to distract me i.e. go to a meeting, phone a friend, go for a walk, go to the gym, walk the dogs, clean the house, go to a movie, brush my teeth, eat something junky and/or nutritious.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

I think, if the chocolate binge worked, then all is good. You need to do whatever it takes to stay sober. Let go of the guilt and be proud of yourself for getting through this.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I too crave and at almost 3 years sober - Eat chocolate! Experience has taught me tricks to the fatty monster.

Ice cream - Slim-A-Bear makes great chocolate bars fat free and 100 calories.
Chocolate - Okay, this is weird. But it works for me! Break it in half or more! - Then before you eat it. Take the one half and put it right into the garbage disposal. ONLY buy one bar at a time tho. Otherwise you'll just go in the pantry to open another. ;-)

I'm back to my high school weight. Woo Hoo!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Had to change a lot of things for me. I was an every day drinker starting at around 4 to 5 pm each day. I would start while getting dinner ready. The first 30 days were really rough, but I changed my routine so that I wasn't tempted. Believe it or not I started making breakfast for dinner. Didn't crave wine with breakfast food. I guess that's kind of extreme. Do whatever you need to in order to get through. You did really, really good though.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you feel guilty for the chocolate binge, opt for Dark Chocolate covered Almonds. Its a much healthier alternative, loaded in good fats health for the heart. I wouldn't eat too many beacuse regardless of what kind of fat it is, its still high in calories. You wont feel as guilty...Nutella is another good one...All in moderation, cause it can add up.

Listen to me talk about moderation...once i start drinking i cant stop...lol
Old 04-30-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

Good job PJ. Stay strong!
Old 04-30-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Had to change a lot of things for me. I was an every day drinker starting at around 4 to 5 pm each day. I would start while getting dinner ready. The first 30 days were really rough, but I changed my routine so that I wasn't tempted. Believe it or not I started making breakfast for dinner. Didn't crave wine with breakfast food. I guess that's kind of extreme. Do whatever you need to in order to get through. You did really, really good though.
I love breakfast for dinner! I don't eat eggs, but in a pinch, I could live on hash browns for an extended period, no problem.

Rev
Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made a good choice pricey
I wouldn't worry about the candy too much - not unless it became a habit too

D