Notices

Chris here from Knoxville, TN

Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chris here from Knoxville, TN

Hi everyone,

My name is Chris and I've been drinking heavily for about five years. There's a saying on campus that you're not an alcoholic if you're a college student, as if getting drunk every night is what you're supposed to do. However, after destroying a bottle of whiskey last night, I'm done. Just done. I'm not sure how being sober will suit me--it'll keep me from driving into a light pole one fine evening, that's for damn sure--but it's time.

Has anyone felt excited about their quit? This feels like the right decision and an easier one than I expected (although God knows how many arguments I've had defending my right to get plastered at noon on a Wednesday). Anyway, best of luck.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chris and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us and that you have decided to stop drinking.

I would say I was more scared than excited when I stopped drinking. It was hard to imagine how to get through a day, a week, a problem without alcohol being involved. However, I wasn't expecting all the positive things that came into my life when I began to recover. That was exciting!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR Chris! When I knew I had to quit drinking it was exciting but scary as well. But now with almost four months sober I know it was the right thing to do. All the best to you as you begin your sober life.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Chris
Welcome to the board! Yes, like Anna says, it has been quite a surprise to see all the positive and enexpected things that have happened since I stopped drinking. It's actually more than excitement -- it's almost like there's a synergy pushing things in the right direction (thanks to my HP) and certainly a renewed feeling of responsibility and well-being. It helps just to take this process one day at a time. Wishing you well. (:
Old 04-06-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome!..yep, I felt excited every time I 'quit', and when that elated feeling left me, many times I ended up giving up on staying quit. As they say, quitting is easy..staying quit is the hard part! Once I got serious about getting some help, it was much easier to stay quit, and stay excited for my new life!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. Yeah, the excitement has faded to a degree and I keep having to reaffirm all the reasons I've quit. I may seek out an in-person support group in Knoxville to bolster some confidence. Whatever has to be done.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Draciack View Post
Hi everyone,

My name is Chris and I've been drinking heavily for about five years. There's a saying on campus that you're not an alcoholic if you're a college student, as if getting drunk every night is what you're supposed to do. However, after destroying a bottle of whiskey last night, I'm done. Just done. I'm not sure how being sober will suit me--it'll keep me from driving into a light pole one fine evening, that's for damn sure--but it's time.

Has anyone felt excited about their quit? This feels like the right decision and an easier one than I expected (although God knows how many arguments I've had defending my right to get plastered at noon on a Wednesday). Anyway, best of luck.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

That sounds like a really good plan.. weird thing how those bad memories fade so easily leaving room for th desire to creep back in.. the more support the better!!
Old 04-06-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chris

I remember being excited when I came here, saw all these people actually living sober and began to think maybe I could too....

You've made a great choice.
Welcome!
D
Old 04-06-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Chris good to have you.I suspect you are UT student.You found a real good place with people from all walks of life. Who understand.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm a UT student although this is my final year. Today, the first day, has been very strange. I seem to oscillate between excitement and a feeling of immense possibility--for instance, imagining a time when I won't have a craving for a drink when I pass a liquor store--and fear. I'm not exactly sure what I'll do without alcohol. I'm setting up an appointment with a psychiatrist to help guide me through this and am reading Knapp's memoir Drinking: A Love Story. I can relate to her story...too closely in fact.

Thanks for the welcomes. Some of the stories in this place are inspiring.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Drinking: A Love Story
Awesome book. you're taking some great first steps.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

YEAH hang around with me its been kinda up and down this is a great place and somebody is always here to talk to great job on college coming from a georgia dawg good luck