Notices

Letting go of things I don't need anymore

Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yeah fubar! I still have 2 coors light shirts, and one shirt that says "Lets get ready to stumble!" and a hoodie that just says "modern drunkard" on it. Why was I ever so proud to be a drunk?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by postparty82 View Post
had a recent birthday at our place and people brought her flavored vodkas, wine, etc. She barely drinks and doesn't want them , and I'm not gonna drink em. Yet I would feel wrong pouring them down the drain.

At what point should we throw these things out? i mean... they are technically worth money, right? Or am I just subconciously holdng on to them to relapse with?
Sure they're worth money, but if they were in my place I'd have to ask the question: What's more valuable, the alcohol or my sobriety? To me, the choice is obvious.

How about gifting them to a friend who isn't "one of us"? In the past I've given unopened bottles to an American Legion club for their functions.

As for those shot-glasses, having a collection seems pretty harmless. Or, you could use them as candleholders
Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The only thing I threw out has been empty beers & full beers, my wife does have a drink when the moon is blue as does my 23 year old still at home. When I first got sober there was NO booze of any kind in my house, but today on occasion there may be a 5th around, but it doesn't bother me at all. If I decided to drink again it would be beer.... which could lead to the hard stuff, but my BOC is beer.

T-shirts I never had any with any booze ad on one.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yeah fubar! I still have 2 coors light shirts, and one shirt that says "Lets get ready to stumble!" and a hoodie that just says "modern drunkard" on it. Why was I ever so proud to be a drunk?
Yea, I have a few like that: one says Im NOT an alcoholic, they go to meetings, and another that says 99 problems and a ice cold beer aint one. I gave my JD collection away the first time i decided to quit drinking. I need to sell all my bud collection(have alot) as I held stock via my great grandfather was a brewmaster. I just noticed to the zippo in my pocket says coors.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I broke my last Tesco value wine glass the night before I went into AA - fitting somehow. I used to go through a lot of those, good thing they were only 88p for 4!

I have kept a souvenir beer glass from last year's beer fest though, I drink diet coke out of it now. Also have some margarita glasses chillin in the back of the cabinet, guess I should give them to the charity shop or something.

I don't think that keeping your old stuff or giving it away is necessary, just do whatever feels right to you I guess. I damn well know that having a wine glass or not has nothing to do with me drinking or not, as I'd just as easily chug straight out of the bottle if nothing else was available.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cambridge View Post
I'd just as easily chug straight out of the bottle if nothing else was available.
Yeah you are correct there. Thinking about it, I never really used the shot glasses anyway. Just put the bottle to the lips
Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

At what point should we throw these things out? i mean... they are technically worth money, right? Or am I just subconciously holdng on to them to relapse with?

I've donated a lot of things lately which are worth money to charity. I have bought a lot which I couldn't afford nor did I need - it was all part of the sickness.

My son's school do a fete at Christmas and Easter where they ask for bottles of booze for prizes to raise money for the school and children.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by intention View Post
I've donated a lot of things lately which are worth money to charity. I have bought a lot which I couldn't afford nor did I need - it was all part of the sickness.

My son's school do a fete at Christmas and Easter where they ask for bottles of booze for prizes to raise money for the school and children.
Hope this works, yes Intention i can just see you donating all your leftover
wine to your sons fete, then buyin a raffle ticket an winning it back!!!
how scary would that be,:rotfxko
Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
This is kinda weird, but I kept the empty rum bottle from my last binge. Its not so much because of the fact that I would miss it, but more of a reminder of what got me to make the final decision to stop. I haven't even looked at it since maybe day 5 or 6 since it is stuffed in a cupboard to get it out of my way. Intention, I may follow your lead and throw it out.
Tomorrow is garbage day in my neighbourhood, and I am proud to say the empty rum bottle is on the curb. I did need it as a reminder in my first few days as to what got me to make the final decision to stop. But the bottle has since been replaced by so many new and much more positive reminders. It's a good feeling to come to the realization that I have made some progress.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
Tomorrow is garbage day in my neighbourhood, and I am proud to say the empty rum bottle is on the curb. I did need it as a reminder in my first few days as to what got me to make the final decision to stop. But the bottle has since been replaced by so many new and much more positive reminders. It's a good feeling to come to the realization that I have made some progress.
It is a good feeling. Well done.