Notices

New here - looking for support

Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here - looking for support

Hi everyone,

Besides myself this is the first time i've admitted it to anyone but I'm an alcoholic. I started drinking about the time I was 21 and i'm now 23. It was gradually at first drinking beer, but lead drinking several fifths of vodka a week. I quit over Christmas break for college, but started again shortly after. I decided I was done with it yesterday around noon. So roughly about 24 hours clean. I'm just looking if any of you have tips to keep me busy/motivated, and wanted to share my story as well

Thanks for listening
Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....

Your going to find lots of information and support here
Many of us are winning over alcohol.

Congratulations for chooseing to not drink....
Old 01-28-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Newcomer.
Congrats on making such a big decision at your age.
I go to the gym daily to keep busy but besides that I am still searching for things to do.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hello and welcome.

Well done on making the decision to quit. There's plenty of support and help on this site.

Have you considered AA?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here. Openly admitting to others that I had a problem and needed help wasn't an easy thing to do. That's a HUGE step in the right direction--which you have already done here. Keep reaching out to others for support. And yes, you may want to consider going to an AA meeting if you haven't done that yet. Remember--you are not alone. Recovery is a process. We do recover.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome,
I'm not sure if this is motivation enough, but I wish I would have had your sense at your age and stopped then, instead of almost 27 years later. You are so lucky, you have a whole sober life ahead of you if you chose to. Please stick with it, it's so worth it. So much better than waking up one day from a hangover and you are 49
I used to be able to put away a fifth in a day when I wasn't working, the other days I had to cope with the withdrawal. Don't become what I used to be.
This place is great for support and advise. 24 hours is wonderful. Well done.
BTW did I mention that I'm an alcoholic
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newcomer44 View Post
Hi everyone,

Besides myself this is the first time i've admitted it to anyone but I'm an alcoholic. I started drinking about the time I was 21 and i'm now 23. It was gradually at first drinking beer, but lead drinking several fifths of vodka a week. I quit over Christmas break for college, but started again shortly after. I decided I was done with it yesterday around noon. So roughly about 24 hours clean. I'm just looking if any of you have tips to keep me busy/motivated, and wanted to share my story as well

Thanks for listening
Welcome, newcomer, and you've made a huge step just by posting here! As has been mentioned, you are extremely blessed to have recognized your illness at such a young age. Just remember, you never have to drink EVER again...and I promise you that there is no downside to the sober life.

Let me pass on some words of wisdom that my sponsor gave to me that just has really stuck: This can either be your rock bottom for which you can climb back up to life or this can be just another ledge down a very dark tunnel. The choice is up to you.

Let this be your 'bottom' and let the climb back up begin. It can be tough at times, but the sunshine feels great!

RacerX
Old 01-28-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hey there

Welcome... and good for you for seeking support
Keeping busy is important... and coming here is equally as important to me... heres a link of a things to do the memebers came up with of things to keep busy http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Motivation is thinking about all the reasons you dont want to drink... think about all the ways in which alcohol had a negative effect on your life... thats what helps me...

And if you need support please come here and share with people... there is usually someone here who has gone through the same or similar thing and can give good support on what they did...
Ive been coming to this site about a year and have had great support... and honesty... people have always been honest with me... that was important to me...

Enjoy being here... your about to make a brilliant journey... and we will be travelling it with you
Old 01-28-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome newcomer

Lots of good advice here - I'd add please think abut seeing a Dr - especially if you feel unwell. Detox can sometimes be dangerous, and I think it's better to be safe.

When I first arrived I read a lot here, and posted a lot too when I had questions or worries - I can't give you any better advice than that for the moment

Look forward to seeing you around.
D
Old 01-28-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Welcome NC44! This is a good group. Keep posting.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome to SR, Newcomer44...
Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Newcomer. I sure can't add any better advice then what's been given, but I will repeat Dee's advice and ask that you please see a doctor. SR is a great starting point for you and has been invaluable to me.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a wonderful support site. Sobriety has made my life better and much simpler and eliminated a lot of risk. I'm glad you found us!
Old 01-29-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I envy you. If only I had been wise enough to do what you're doing at 23. The nightmare my life became never needed to happen. I'm lucky to be alive and not in jail for DUI or vehicular homicide. I kept going until I was nearly insane - insisting I could never live without it. This won't be you! Congratulations on finding us and joining our family.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So I posted this a while ago, and I have not drank ever since posting, I PHYSICALLY feel 1000x better, full of energy and everything.

The thing I didn't mention that I was a heroin addict in high school, for about 3 years.

I have been clean from that ever since, since October 4th, 2004. But lately since quitting drinking all I think about is getting high, constantly. I exercise every day, go to meetings, and go to class. I'm currently a Biochemestry major with nearly a 4.0. I'm scared this, or the alcohol is going to win on me, and I can't let it. I can't sleep at night cause that is all I think about. I'm currently taking Trazadone for sleeping, but the addiction overpowers it, I don't sleep (as you see i'm posting at 4am). I refuse to take anything to sleep recognized as addicting, such as Ambien or Lunesta. I just posted cause I needed some support, its very hard for me right now. Currently I have no contacts to get any drugs from, so thats the thing that is saving my life. I just need some positive support to help me.

Sorry for the lengthy post, this is just what helps me get though the day,
Thanks everyone
Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hi and welcome, NC (I didn't see this last time 'round, sorry).

If lengthy posts get you through the day... so be it. I'll read them...

Take care,
TB
Old 02-11-2010, 02:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome! I was young (22) too when I was first introduced to the idea of recovery. It didn't stick, as I didn't want it bad enough. I'm still somewhat young (27), and have been working a program in AA for almost a year now, and have kept sober that long. I discovered I can't win out over mind altering substances alone -- but that, with help from others, I might have a chance. It's possible! And there's a lot of fun about it all. I suppose I got to that point where I no longer saw NOT drinking/using as a death sentence, but vice versa.

Anyway, one day at a time.

Jon
Old 02-11-2010, 05:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi, you say you are going to meetings. Have you got a sponsor?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newcomer44 View Post
I quit over Christmas break for college, but started again shortly after.
The best tip I can give you is that if you are a real alcoholic, unless you can experience some fundamental change in your relationship to life, you will repeat this scenario over and over. I did this for many years, always making a firm resolution to never drink again. After a few weeks or months, there I was drunk for no particular good reason. It wasn't until I became willing to have that fundamental change, that I could start to recover.

Originally Posted by AA Big Book 1st Ed.
After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR newcomer44, when you go to meetings I would suggest getting phone numbers of folks your same gender and CALL them when you need some one to talk to!

Do not worry about calling them at any hour, they have walked in your shoes just like I have. In early sobriety I made a lot of calls and every one I called was glad to chat with me..... I have learned since then that the person being called is being helped just as much as the person calling.

I know folks who when they can not sleep meet up at an overnight coffee shop.

Know that this will pass...... at times it may seem as though it is going to go on forever, but trust me, if you stick to it, it will pass!!!

I have never known nor heard of any one dropping dead from WANTING a drink, but there are many who have died from drinking.

If you do not have a sponsor it is an excellent thing to do, then take the steps.