Notices

Who should know??

Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who should know??

From reading through many posts, I perceive that part of a successful recovery is coming clean with all of the people in your life and being honest about your addiction. I'm not attending NA or AA because I don't feel that's the right path for me. I'm going on to day 26 of being clean. Weed was my DOC. I'm using this forum, the support of a few good friends also in recovery, and by keeping myself as busy as I can. It doesn't work everyday, but so far I've managed not to use. I'm thinking if I tell my mom, it will totally devastate her and cause her more harm than it would cause me good, if that makes sense. There are other members of my family and some friends who aren't really that close to me, and I don't feel a need to tell them anything. The other part I wonder about is work. I struggle some days with performance due to wrestling with my addiction, but still show up and do what needs to be done, just not with my usual enthusiasm and level of detail. I work in a facility that serves people with disabilities. I feel I'll be looked at as no longer being "worthy" to help others if I've waited so long to help myself, etc..

So I guess what I'm asking is how necessary is it to expose this private information, why is it emphasized to do so, and is it okay to pick and choose who I wish to share it with?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Change,

I'm on Day 3 and asked a question regarding work which should be close to this thread - great words of wisdom were given, so I'd check it out.

I did tell my family members because I knew I needed the accountability and because we are a very close knit bunch. It wasn't easy hitting the "send" button but the amount of love I received back has been overwhelming.

Please take anything I write with a grain of salt given my new recovery but, for me, I look at it as "who can actually help encourage me and keep me accountable in my recovery." I'm sure other old timers will have better advice, however.

Good Luck!

RacerX
Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

If you can't see anything good coming from telling somebody I say do not tell them, especially your mother.
If she was unaware that you had a problem or even smoked period I can't see any good coming from revealing this to her now except perhaps to releive some of your guilt. Think of what is best for her in this case.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by ChangeGonnaCome View Post
I'm thinking if I tell my mom, it will totally devastate her and cause her more harm than it would cause me good, if that makes sense. There are other members of my family and some friends who aren't really that close to me, and I don't feel a need to tell them anything.
Hi and welcome to SR.

Do you think that you can tell those who offer you a drink or drugs that you don't drink any more or use drugs?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Date 12/21/09

I don't see any benefit to telling ANYONE at work. Workplaces can be unfriendly and competitive some times. Why give any unscrupulous person anything to use against you? As was said, if there is some benefit to it, maybe, but I can't see how it would help. Because what happens if you come in one day and just have a case of the "Blahs"? They might quickly assume it's drug related if they know your history.

If you continue to stay clean your work should improve and hopefully they will take notice and give you full credit without having to worry that you might start using again. I wouldn't give them that worry, if it were me.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Hello ChangeGonnacome,

Telling certain people might be best when you change your nickname to "the change came" ;-) I think after some time you might feel differently. The people I've told when it became appropriate seem to have a deeper respect for me. They confide in me. Everyone's screwed up on one level or another, go figure.

"I work in a facility that serves people with disabilities. I feel I'll be looked at as no longer being "worthy" to help others if I've waited so long to help myself, etc.."

I too work in those fields. Volunter work in two different facilities. Now, that said, when I started. I TOLD the interviewers - I didn't get the WORK. duh.

Anyway, my sponsor called a woman's meeting with some elders. People who are real anchors in AA. We spoke in length about how to approach this, as almost all jobs flat out ask, which means I have to flat out lie.

We decided the good I can do for people far outweighed this particular white lie. Over a year later, it has proven to be true.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Racer,

I've been sober for quite awhile now and for me, it would be very rare for me to tell someone in my life about my addiction. I believe it's a highly personal issue and my recovery is also personal.

If you have some trusted friends who you know will support you, then that's great, But, I have found that there is a lot of misinformation and prejudice against addicts. I could never see a positive outcome in telling an employer or co-worker about my addiction. What would happen the next time I forgot to do something or messed up some way? I choose to not put it out there.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Intention - yeppers - I've not experienced any difficulties in telling people "No, thanks" and making it clear I no longer partake. I was just curious about disclosing it to help in the healing process.

Thanks everyone! Your insight has given me more to think about, answered my questions, and has helped me tremendously.

Peace.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by ChangeGonnaCome View Post
Intention - yeppers - I've not experienced any difficulties in telling people "No, thanks" and making it clear I no longer partake.
hi CGC, I think that's enough for now. In time you may choose to tell more people but you will know when the time is right for you.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't find it necessary at all to tell anyone about my past addiction issues.

If I'm offered a drink, I say I don't drink.

If I'm offered some drugs, I say I don't do them. That's that...

I have found that people could really care less about the 'why' part of it.

As far as myself and anyone else around me is concerned I'm just me, and I don't drink or use drugs. Period.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Change

I found it necessary to tell everyone...I wanted to make sure I had no 'bolt holes' left to run to if this sobriety thing got too hard.

That worked for me - looking back I also was a fairly conspicuous drunk, so there were very few who didn't know my 'secret' anyway.

As you can see there are adherents of both approaches here - you'll know whats right for you

D
Old 01-22-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

After Anna's comment I felt the need to make something very, very clear. The ONLY reason I chose to tell my family is due to the fact that we are extremely close and I knew going into it that they would be supportive and loving in my recovery.

However, I would not take the risk of just throwing things out there to people I do not know extremely well and trust extremely well.

Just a clarification.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm relatively new to recovery and doing it on my own as well. My best friend has been clean for 7 years and he gave me some perspective and it's been working for me. Tell who you want, it's nobody's business but yours. So other than my wife and a handful of close friends no one knows and I'm just not drinking. My family does not know and when asked to partake, I simply say "no thanks". I know casual friends and certainly drinking buddies have been talking because of my reputation as a heavy drinker, but I don't care. It's a very personal fight and only those people I know will support me 110% need to know.