Notices

Am I a Newbie?

Old 01-16-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I a Newbie?

I love this site. I'm a new member and have been sober for 15 mos. which I think still qualifies me as a newbie? That's my question...

...at what point is someone no longer considered a 'newcomer' to sobriety? And if they're not a newcomer anymore, what are they called? (opened the floodgates on that question, I think) ;-)

I've heard that a person will be considered a 'newbie' until they have 5 years of continuous sobriety.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think there are any clear cut rules. Good job on 15 months!
Old 01-16-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
I don't think there are any clear cut rules. Good job on 15 months!
I agree...that must be a first for us eh Bugs;-)

Quality not quantity:-)
Old 01-16-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It just might be yeahgr8...quality is also subjective.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a lot of questions as I walk through sober living...I guess this is a question I haven't considered. Right now, it seems to me, I have sooo many things to learn and discover about myself and my alchoholism...that I don't have room in my head for that question.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

I think as far as I have seen the newcomers section here is for everyone.
So just post away.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've heard that a person will be considered a 'newbie' until they have 5 years of continuous sobriety.
I've never heard that...nor do I agree ....

Personally....anyone in their first 90 days of AA recovery
I think of as a Newcomer. After that they are ....
like me.....only another member.

Good to know see you sharing here again...
Well done on your sober time
Old 01-16-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are no rules here at all regarding newbie time.

I've been hanging out in the Newbie forum for years and love it!
Old 01-16-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I hear the leader in AA meetings ask if there any newcomers with less than 30 days to identify themselves. So Ive thought that a person with less than 30 days is a newcomer.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Depends on the context.

There are a lot of circumstances where I still feel very much like a newcomer -- when I'm in a period of spiritual growth, for example. Something I haven't encountered, circumstantial or emotional, feels very new -- and I'm back in the mind of being new until I can gain the experience and perspective of others or relate it to some past experience of my own.

For the most part, though, I've always seen someone who has taken and begun to practice all 12 steps in her or his daily life as having fulfilled the requirements of "spiritual kindergarten" -- and that, definitely, isn't tied to time.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-16-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

ive come to understand over the period ive been sober that time dont count for much..
ive been 6 months before and wanted to blow my head off.
ive also seen guys 20 years sober chasing female newcomers while the wifes at home.

ive also worked with guys that are alight with the steps and work hard.
within months they proclaim to have recovered........i tend to agree with them.

call yourself what you like..........you will know when your still a newcomer or a recovered alcoholic.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I decided long ago I'd always be happy to consider myself a newcomer - I really do want to keep continuing to learn new things and grow...

D
Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I decided long ago I'd always be happy to consider myself a newcomer - I really do want to keep continuing to learn new things and grow...

D
I totally agree, D.

I was curious because when I answer the question 'How long have you been sober?' at the AA meetings I attend, the reply has been 'Ah, you're still a newcomer'.

Well, compared to someone with 10-20 years that might be true.

But I like your 'continuing to learn and grow' view as well as 'quality' versus quantity of time is what's important. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries
That's just my viewpoint, mind - but it works for me

D
Old 01-16-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post
I was curious because when I answer the question 'How long have you been sober?' at the AA meetings I attend, the reply has been 'Ah, you're still a newcomer'.
I'd look them in the eye and say, "Thanks!"

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-16-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

I will always remain full of possibilities in addiction treatment.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ok, well if you are talking AA now:-)

If you have worked through the steps, have a good conscious contact with God/HP, are willing and keen to work steps 6 and 7 on a daily basis, want to help others and are enjoying your life one day at a time in a happy, joyous and free way then you aren't a newcomer...mind you if you are all the aforementioned you won't care what anyone calls you anyway hehe

If you just joined a meeting, pre-sharing, sure someone might say well you only got x amount of time...you got a sponsor, are you a good pidgeon,, you ae only a baby etc and thats all good...after sharing a bit and a few coffees after meetings they will either have a different comment to make or pretty much avoid you other than to say hello cos you are more sober than they are and it's an ego thing for them...but none of this will bother you as i have said anyway if you have done and continue to do all in the first paragraph above:-)

IMO, in AA you can be a newcomer for as little or as much time as you want to be...it's all about how willing you are to do the work!

One thing is for sure we will all be learning for the rest of our lives though!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Well, compared to me... no.

I don't know much about how those with years and such (congrats on the 15 months!) deal with the issue--I guess how the other posters replied above--but as a new newbie (less than a month) I would like to welcome you to the Newcomers forum, and hope to see you post more...

Take care,
TB
Old 01-17-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If you got up earlier this morning than I did, you've got more time than me. I'm a newcomer every day. I have a daily reprieve contingent upon daily maintenance of my spiritual condition.

I like looking at it that way. It's worked for 5113 days now. Hope I make it to 5114. ..Nothing like doing a little math in the morning!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mikel60 View Post
If you got up earlier this morning than I did, you've got more time than me. I'm a newcomer every day. I have a daily reprieve contingent upon daily maintenance of my spiritual condition.

I like looking at it that way. It's worked for 5113 days now. Hope I make it to 5114. ..Nothing like doing a little math in the morning!
Congrats on 5113 days! Jeez, it's nighttime now and I still don't have my math hat on tight enough to convert that... ;-)

I like that thinking -- whoever got up earlier this morning -- I've heard that same response in comparison to 'what's the difference between a newcomer and an old-timer?'

That, and "whoever walks through the meeting door first" is the one with more sober time.

I personally like the quality of life in recovery vs. number of days on the calendar not drinking -- worlds apart in meaning.

Thanks!