Notices

pot addict, not sure where to go

Old 01-13-2010, 11:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

pot addict, not sure where to go

Hello

I'm almost two years clean of pot (my main drug and love). I've drank a few times during that time but finally decided to be clean of everything because of depression issues.

I'm now at the point where I can't stop thinking about going back to pot, my emotions are constantly negative and I don't know what else to do. I want to try a proper recovery.

What I'm not sure of, is what group to start going to. AA, NA or Al-Anon. I never had a problem with alcohol, just pot. But I can also relate with the the al-anon program because I grew up around alcoholics and have the personality of a co-dependent.

Any help on my journey is appreciated.

thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 11:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I should mention there are no MA groups in my area.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Unhappy

..i would do some 'google' research on cannibus..

..the news is not pretty....keep posting..

..but that stuff..has stuffed me..take care...oz..
Old 01-14-2010, 03:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mburnsc

Welcome to SR
I'm a former pot smoker myself, but I've never used NA, AA or AlAnon, sorry.

I dont know if it helps but, for me, I needed to look at the reasons behind why I drink and drugged, and work on those in different ways rather than drinking and drugging.

In effect, I had to do more than just not do drugs or drink, and change my life.

Have you done anything besides simply stopping pot?
D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-14-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I would also second what Dee said. I recently stopped smoking pot (8 months ago) after being a very heavy smoker for over 20 years. I "crutched" on alcohol for awhile, before deciding to slow that down and finally quit altogether now. I understand what you are going through. I still obsess about smoking at times, especially if I smel it, or even think I do!! What I do when I think about possibly going back to smoking is remember how hard hard it was to get where I am. I "tried" to quit many, many times, with no success. I know if I were to even take a hit off a joint, all the "logical" thinking in the world wouldn't stop me from getting more.

I am also working with a theripist on some of the issues in my life that led me to my drug habbit in the first place. I've found that to be very helpful, though I went through several theripists before I found one I felt comfortable with. I also have regular appointments with my psychitrist about my depression, which is clinical in nature. It's quite possible my many years of smoking and drinking have altered the chemistry in my brain. I take several medications from my doctor that help address these issues. To some degree my pot smoking was "self medicating" for other mental issues.

You might want to check out some NA meetings. A lot of folks find attending meeting, and working the steps with a sponsor is esential to their recovery. Congrats on your 2 years, I'm looking forward to getting there!!! Welcome to SR!! Take care.