Notices

Asking for Prayers~

Old 01-02-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Asking for Prayers~

I just got a call from my Mom telling me that my Grandmother (Dad's Mom) is dying. She has Alzheimer's and has become increasingly ill the past few years. She also told me my Grandpa (Dad's Father) fell yesterday and is in the hospital as well.

We need lots of prayers my SR Family.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for you and your family (((Suz)))

D
Old 01-02-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for your family Suz, and for you too!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Prayers and thoughts to you.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So sorry. Definitely will say special prayers for your Grandma, Grandpa, and your family.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm waiting for my Mom to call me and let me know what hospital they took her to. My Mom and Dad (stepdad but I never make that distinction) met when I was 11 years old. My Grandparents were always so good to me, they never treated my Brother and I as "step-grandchildren" they ALWAYS said "These are our Grandchildren" no difference. My Grandmother is just an amazing woman, so is my Grandfather. They have been married for over 50 years! Grandpa's health has also been deteriorating and I just worry if she passes...he will also pass shortly after.

My Dad is the only one of their children who takes care of them. He's done everything in regards to their care, made all the decisions. It's taken a toll on him emotionally even though he tries to hide it. I worry about him. To me, he's my Daddy, because my own Father has never been there for me the way he has. I love him dearly and can't imagine how much he is hurting right now. There's nothing I can do but pray.

Thank you guys for your support. I'll probably be here quite a bit tonight
Old 01-02-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

God places us with just the right people doesn't He. Strong faith will help you through this. Know we are praying and we are a powerful group. Wish there was more we could do for you.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mariposa,

I also had a grandmother I loved dearly who passed away with Alzheimer's. Know that I understand how you feel.

I was still drinking when she passed so I wasn't able to be there for my parents the way I could've been now that I am sober. Can't dwell on that.

But you have the ability to be there fully for your Dad and I'm sure he's comforted by that. All of you have each other and that's a blessing.

You're in my prayers ~
Old 01-02-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just got a call from my Dad, she passed away. I appreciate your prayers everyone. I know I have to look at the side of things that tell me she's no long suffering, I'm trying.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I'm very sorry for your loss. *prayers of peace*
Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mariposa,
My grandmother (father's mother) died on my 10th birthday of sobriety and then her husband (my step grandfather) was so heartbroken he died a few days later. They were buried together on the same day. My dad followed in death 5 years later, just days before his 14th AA sobriety birthday. We had been estranged up until two years prior but made up for lost time.

I identify with what you're going through -- it's emotionally painful to lose loved ones. There is a loving book written by Sogyal Ripoche's called TIBETAN BOOK OF LIVING AND DYING, which gave me comfort to process grief. I hope somehow you may find a copy.

In recovery, my father would pass me down his chip when my AA birthday came around. His friends in the program knew of our tradition so when it came time for my AA birthday, his former sponsee tracked down my sponsor and mailed her the chip my dad would have given to me for my 15th year. I can't even begin to say how touched I was from that token of remembrance.

Take care, be good to yourself and eat, sleep, go visit your grandparents and family if you are able, maybe take the time to write a letter of everything you feel... I was not able to be with my father when he died but did get to his memorial in time, so while at the funeral home, I wrote out a long letter about everything I felt, then slipped it into my father's pocket just before his casket was closed and body laid to rest. I'm grateful to have had that opportunity as it helped me cope with loss and gave me closure for having not let anything left unsaid... My dad knew all I felt, but it was a step I needed to take for myself just to be at peace with the finality of losing him just when we had become incredibly close.

In the meanwhile, I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Weeza HUGS
Old 01-02-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Unhappy

..Sorry for your loss..
Old 01-02-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm too late to pray for her while she was alive, but will say a prayer for her now.
May she be at peace - her earthly trials are over.
Take care of yourself, Suz - and I'm glad you came here to share this.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dear Mariposa, (((((((Huge Hugs)))))))

O my gosh...I am so sorry for you loss Mariposa. It's a deep ache inside your heart right now....I too will say a prayer for your grandmother but also for you and your family that God will comfort you and heal the pain you bear in His time. May you receive his richest blessings now and always Mariposa.

Love Pancake xo
Old 01-03-2010, 01:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mariposa, I must have been typing out the post just while you were posting about how your grandmother died. I'm sorry to have missed your update. This is terribly sad news and it's going to be intense for you for quite some time. Please know you have friends here walking through this with you. Will go light you a candle now.
xx Weeza
Old 01-03-2010, 04:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

this has brought back memories of my grandmother , she was such an amazing woman, she just loved me even though i'm adopted and other family members saw me as an 'outsider', she never did, i like to think of her as my guardian angel ,she died 20 years ago but it feels just like yesterday,
so sorry to hear of your loss Mariposa, what a dreadful start to the new year for you,
Old 01-03-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your grandma. May she rest in peace. Prayers are coming your way for her, your Grandpa and you.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My condolences, Mariposa ~

May you and your family find comfort in each other and in the fond memories that you'll have forever of your grandmother.

I still smile when I remember my grandmother today and share and laugh with other family members about our special memories of her.

It's my prayer that you and your family are comforted by having had her in your life now that she's at peace.

Blessings ~
Hbee
Old 01-03-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

My condolensces as well Mariposa -- I'm having some family health-related issues as well so I understand what you're dealing with. Take care dear...
Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So very sorry about your Grandma. Praying for peace for your grandma and comfort for you and your family. Hugs to you - Sarah