Notices

had_an_urge_to_drink_earlier

Old 12-05-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

had_an_urge_to_drink_earlier

I had an urge to drink earlier. I found myself, home alone, with the ability to do so.

At first I just sat on the couch and was miserable with my sick thoughts for quite a while and thought about looking around the house for booze.

...but then I decided to do something about it.

I prayed.
I thought the drink/night through (and how awful I'd feel tomorrow).
I got busy doing a few things around the house.
I watched a tv show I've been meaning to watch.
I called my sponsor.

Ok, I realize that maybe my actions didn't follow the correct sequential pattern, but for this drunk, twas progress.

I'm posting this in hopes it may help anyone else "out there" tonight who is struggling with similar thoughts.

Kjell
Old 12-05-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bravo!

I have a feeling Christmas is going to p*** me off so I need to get to praying also.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well I just spent an hour trying to get the Christmas tree to stay upright after it came crashing to the floor. Did I mention the stand with the water in it tipped over, too? Onto the presents that were wrapped under it? I don't think I mentioned that. Now the lights don't work. sigh. I came right here and really appreciated reading this. Thanks.. and good for you!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Mirage - I can totally relate.

Last Sunday I was trying to put up lights outside and had the thought that this is probably the worst job for an alcoholic in early recovery

Hang in there.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a craving last night too....

I went to chat and acknowledged that I was struggling, I watched a TV show too

I focused on remembering how alchohol effects my behavior, and instead of drinking to communicate and express my feelings....I let myself feel the feelings and cried without the alchohol.

I'm still not feeling whippy...but I did make it through a night where 3 weeks ago I would have drank....so now I have some experience.

Thanks for posting...I should have checked this section last night
Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's so great that you were able to recognize and STOP your behavior. When I relapsed, I just lied to myself. You did the right thing and were honest with yourself. All the steps you took to prevent yourself from taking a drink were great. good job!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

i learned H.A.L.T. a long time ago.. (treatment center 1989') but.. i still think it is a great tool today! don't get too hungery angery loney or tired!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hey...

I dont think it matters what order you do stuff in... if it works... great

I heard a speaker tape and a lady spoke about a day she was strugglin... her solution was to go down town and try and enlist in the army and when that didnt work... then she called her sponsor

See... we all got our own ways... but good for you for staying busy, keeping strong, staying sober...
Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I had an urge to drink earlier. I found myself, home alone, with the ability to do so.

At first I just sat on the couch and was miserable with my sick thoughts for quite a while and thought about looking around the house for booze.

...but then I decided to do something about it.
Move a muscle, change a thought, it does work and I'm glad it worked for you.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
I had a craving last night too....

I went to chat and acknowledged that I was struggling, I watched a TV show too

I focused on remembering how alchohol effects my behavior, and instead of drinking to communicate and express my feelings....I let myself feel the feelings and cried without the alchohol.

I'm still not feeling whippy...but I did make it through a night where 3 weeks ago I would have drank....so now I have some experience.
Now that kind of behavior and smart thinking will keep you sober if you ain't careful. You done good.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, Kjell!

The simple and yet difficult thing is, we have to do whatever it takes to stay sober.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I have been having little physical cravings myself. but I do drugs. I smell it sometimes, taste it for a quick few seconds. I couldnt fall asleep last night because my mind was all over the place thinking about it. My heart was pounding and stomach was twisted.
But I made it.
I couldnt get anything anyway. But it still didnt stop the feelings and thoughts.
I am glad you took the time to stop and do something about it. They say it gets easier every time.