Notices

Getting through the first 90 days?

Old 11-21-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Getting through the first 90 days?

Hello everyone. Been drinking heavily for 15 years. I'm at about two and a half months of sobriety. Reality and life are starting to kick in. Feeling pretty hopeless and depressed right now. I was wondering what do others do when they get really down to make themselves feel better? I mean, I know before drinking would make me feel better about everything, but now it's just not an option. I don't feel like doing anything right now, not hanging out with friends or just trying to stay busy to not be stuck in my own head. What have you done in early sobriety to feel better?
Old 11-21-2009, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi Firefly - What you are feeling is normal and we all have gone through it.

Once the alcohol is removed from our lives, then we need to start living and dealing with the normal problems in life.

What helped me was keeping active in my recovery. This included:
- going to AA meetings
- reading everything I could find about alcoholism and addiction
- reading the Big Book
- getting a sponsor and working the steps
- speaking at AA meetings
- going on house calls to active alcoholics to take them to AA meetings

A great place to meet friends who will COMPLETELY understand you is at a place like AA. I actually have made some good friends there and that really filled the void that you described above.

If you are experiencing more serious feelings, then you might want to actively work on building the life tools to manage them. For me, it was anxiety, stress, and control issues. But, after some work, I am now able to see when I am feeling these ways and re-direct my energy and emotions to something more positive.

Congratulations on your 2.5 months sober. Keep it up, but just focus on not drinking today. It does get better.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Facing the reality of our lives when we are in early recovery can be very hard.

My advice is to make yourself do something every day that you enjoy doing. I started taking long walks in early recovery and I was amazed how it helped me on so many levels. It helped to feel better physically, but also to take time to slow down and take a look around me and appreciate nature. It also gave me time to talk to my husband with no interruptions.

If you think you might be depressed, you should check with your dr.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi 76firefly

You've got some good suggestions here already
I think, if you're not feeling 'right', speaking with a Dr can help.

I also think just not drinking doesn't cut it for many of us. Eventually we have to work on 'filling the hole' we used to fill with alcohol but how you do that is up to you really.

I didn't do AA, though many people here recommend it.

For the early period I just kept busy - posted and read a lot here, tried to get some exercise, ate right and slept well, and kept my mind and body active. Above all I didn't drink.

the longer term introspection about what I needed to be happy and content when sober mostly came later, but for me keeping active and busy was a great first step.

D
Old 11-21-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. I actually just got out of a local rehab here in so. cal., well techinically still there just in a sober living home now. I go to AA, work out, and meditate daily, and had actually called my sponser before I decided to register here. I just at times lately, I guess since I fell off my pink cloud, get those really intense depressed moods, where I just feel hopeless. Not like I want to die or anything but just irritable and a complete lack of energy. My head tells me the only way to feel better is to drink because that's how I would always feel better before. I know it's going to be a process of retraining my mind and body, but I guess what I wanted to see is if others felt that intense feeling also and to find out if there was some magic tool I could do in that moment to change my head. Funny because just in the process of asking for help I began to feel better. I'm really trying to avoid the psych meds but if these feeling get worse and start lasting for longer than a few hours I definetly will go see my doctor. I'm told it's P.A.W.S., so hopefully thats the case and it will ease with time.
Thanks again for the responses!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I felt exactly like that, firefly, and it did finally pass. I was so used to reaching for that anesthesia to see me through tough times that I had to learn to live my life differently. I don't do AA right now, but as Dee said, many here have found it a lifesaver. For me, coming here & seeing that I had plenty of company made all the difference. I struggled with my problem alone for many years, but finding SR gave me a place to come where I could be understood and supported.

I'm glad you found us, and please don't get discouraged. Things will improve, and the sun will shine again in your life. Keep talking to us.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds cliche, but try joining a gym and getting serious about fitness. I get a high just from working out. You can also take up a hobby like biking or running. The people you meet in these activities are typically positive and devoted towards living a healthy life, so you won't have to deal with negative temptation.