Notices

The Voice is talking to me!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awakening...

The Voice is talking to me!

Shoot,
The Alcoholic Voice is talking to me now. YOu know what it's saying?

"Look, you've started AA, gotten a sponsor, you read recovery book, you're on a recovery message board, you've obviously learned alot about alcoholism and recovery. So, just drink responsibly. Drink mindfully, how about that? Drinking isn't bad in itself, just don't drink so much."

How do I shut this Voice up?

Off to see the sponsor.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do whatever it takes.

And, I think that recognizing the voice for what it is, is a big step.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

good for you!
(off to see the sponsor, Imean)

because THAT... is what you do.

We use the call sheet,
we step up meetings,
we re-read thwe big book
underlining all the important parts in ANOTHER color
(I did that to remember all the times I hadto go back to it.)

we post here.
that ... is how it works.
good for you!

it aint over... till it's over.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The last time it happened, maybe about a year ago?, not sure how long it lasted, not very long, I 'played the tape all the way through', and came to the conclusion, again, that only an alcoholic would have that sort of completely insane thought.

Voices, thoughts, only have the power that we give them.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
part time member

We have the same day 1....please don't fail me now! Do whatever it takes.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure your sponsor will help

The best thing to do when we get these ideas is to air them - let them die in the light of opinion and reason.

Ask your sponsor, your AA friends, people here - let them tell you what their experience is with the Voice and how it lies.

Re-read your old threads - and know that you'd be risking all that again.

Like Anna says - do whatever it takes to stay sober

Show yourself the Voice always lies.
D
Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I just read the Heart Sutra. It's my Serenity Prayer, it reminds me that my addictions and cravings are not permanent and are empty in themselves.

Now shut up Voice!
Old 11-13-2009, 02:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Answer the voice with "sorry we cannot take your call right now... please leave a message after the beep."

Works for me!!
Old 11-13-2009, 02:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

That voice kept calling and calling, but I just kept ignoring it and now, nearly 5 months after my last beer, it's stopped calling. If it ever decides to call again, it'll get the same (non) response
Old 11-13-2009, 02:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I found taking a shower or exercising worked for that voice....also remember it won't last forever...the voice that is...the trick is ...to do something different...all the above are good to...just don't sit with the voice...
Old 11-13-2009, 03:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Electro Shock Therapy!!!

Naw, Just kidding, the only real solution is a frontal lobotomy, and a blood transfusion from a pygmy in South America, the Nile area, and preferably not one of the cannibalistic tribes, lol.

I'm discovering that this voice is with me every day and so I've decided it's ok , like John said, I play the tape through, I see the drunken bum I am when drinking and I choose not to do that today, one day, one hour, one minute at a time. Today it worked.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ah! That voice that sounds like the most reasonable off all. I know it too. It says "now that you've been sober so long and feel so much better, and you're in AA and you have all this selfinsight..now is the time! Now you can get drunk (not smashed out of your mind, of course!) just ONE time and then you'll get back to recovery like nothing's happened. Yeah? Sounds like a good deal to me." Thing is I probably could do that. But then it probably wouldn't be very long until I'd say "worked out fine the last time, let's give it one more go!". And that could go okey and I'd feel happy that I'd started drinking again. But then two weeks later what do you know? I'm back to where I used to be!! "I want to quit, I hate this bloody alcohol, why why why did I ever start drinking again, why can't I drink like others? Why am I different??" jadajadajadajada...

No. I've decided. Just a firm "NO" to that alcoholic voice. Let the sober me grow stronger and wiser and better so that in the end the alcoholic is put to sleep never ever to awake again. It might open its weary eyes when it thinks it hears the cork going of a nice cold beer bottle, only to be disappointed that it's not me opening it, but someone else. And so he will close his eyes again, sleeping, dreaming of good times in the bar with my old friends having a blast together, and hopefully he'll stay there. In dreamland where the alcoholic bear after all is right at home. It will never die, rest assured. But I can make it go to sleep.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

WU, I like what John said. It works very well for people who have the mental capacity left to excercise that option. I have to add to myself that although I surely have at least one more drunk/chemical debauch left in me...I truly fear that I may not have one more sobering up left in me. After 44 years of off and on pure hell, at 59, I know that I am pushing my luck in all the four ways that I exist: physically, mentally, emotionally and most of all spiritually. Hang in there. John in Oklahoma
Old 11-13-2009, 04:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

WakeUp, sounds as though you are going down a good path, you have gotten some good suggestions as well.

That voice you speak of I to know well, that voice used to sit at the head of the commitee that mets in my head!

I took the steps with my sponsor, the results were that voice no longer even sits at the same table as the rest of the commitee members in my head, as a result of taking those steps I had a Spiritual awakening....... My HP stepped up to the table, he took a seat at the head of the table..... and he gave that voice of stinking thinking the BOOT!!!

That voice still lurks in my head, when I am maintaining my spiritual condition fit he sits very quietly in a corner all by himself!

There are occasions where I am not applying all of the principles I learned to use in the steps, perhaps I fail to pray or meditate, cut back on my meetings to much, do not talk to my friends in AA often enough, start to not consult with my HP when I should. These are the times when that voice off in the corner by itself stands up, knocks the dust off of himself and quietly in a whisper starts to tell me "You know man it has been over 3 years......3 whole years!!! There is now way you are an alcoholic, you just drank to much to often. Certainly one beer would be okay!"

When ever I do hear that stinking thinking voice start to talk to me today, I start a self inventory of my program..... is there something I quit doing or cut back on? Is there an amends I owe? I so far have been able to see what I need to do to shut that little jerk up again and put him back in the corner.

One of the greatest things about taking the steps is that sanity does return, we are no longer fighting booze or the world, it just seems to come naturally. You know sometime that voice is sneaky, he may not try to convince me a drink is a good idea, he may try and convince me to do something else, something I used to do at the drop of a hat when I was drinking, he knows that if I start doing old things again that it opens the door just a crack, just enough to where perhaps after doing some of the old stuff I did and not paying any consequences then a drink may really seem safe once again.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WakeUp View Post
How do I shut this Voice up?
I can't. I'm an alcoholic. From my experience, that means I'm doomed to cave in to that voice. I have no mental defense against the first drink.

I had to have that spiritual awakening to remove that voice from me. I haven't heard it for a long, long time.

What step are you on? It's a rhetorical question. Going to meetings, reading a book, having a sponsor, posting on here are all great things. But my real solution is having a spiritual awakeing. I got that by taking the 12 steps, not by reading about them or talking about them.

I can either engage in the activity of AA, or take the actions suggested to recover. It's the actions that remove that voice from me, because I'm powerless to fight against it. I'll lose every time in the end.

Since I can't fight that voice, I have to have it removed. That's what the steps are all about.