Notices

New

Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

I don't know what I am, I just know I have a problem.

I'm 35 and have not had a sober night in years. I don't crave alcohol during the day, but after work is over I drink until I go to bed which is around 10.

I'm a happy drinker, no mean tendacies (sp?) I love playing with my daughter and wife and neighbors. We have a wonderful life and you would never expect that I have issues.

I believe I am developing health problems due to this, I hate waking up in the AM, I just want to sleep. And I feel SO guilty for being dependent. I tried small steps of quitting because I actually enjoy my "buzzed" state of mind, but it seems it takes more and more alcohol to get me to that stage.

I'm very successful so I have a pride problem with letting anyone close to me know I have a problem or need help.

Sht...I guess I have more issues than I thought.

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by After5 View Post
I'm 35 and have not had a sober night in years. I don't crave alcohol during the day, but after work is over I drink until I go to bed which is around 10.
I had pretty much the same pattern for 27 years. Started drinking in the afternoon and didn't stop until I went to bed. Happy, functioning guy with a good career, family, homes, dogs, etc. Everything look pretty good on the outside. Thought I had a wonderful life, didn't see too many issues, but I always had that nagging thought that maybe, just maybe, I was drinking a little too much.

I can't say whether you're an alcoholic or not. All I can tell you is that my life fell apart rather quickly, I gave away the marriage, home, everything that I held dear, I gave it away every time I picked up a drink. I have a new life now, much better than I ever dreamed it would be, but it's meant not taking a drink since that day it all went away.

Welcome to SR, please keep reading and posting, listening for the similarities rather than the differences. You might identify with what we share in common.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I used to do exactly what you are doing. Only after work until I went to bed (passed out). However weekends were a different matter. Started earlier and earlier. It is normal that you will need more and more to feel that buzz and in my final drinking days it used to be that the first few took care of the withdrawal and by the time I felt the buzz I was already so drunk that it was time to pass out. If you aren't at that stage yet, be careful it's a slippery road. Stay with SR and you'll receive a lot of support and advise. But only you can decide whether you have a problem, need to address it and how.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Since alcohol is causing problems in your life, stopping drinking seems like a good solution. Cutting back doesn't usually work for alcoholics, but you should check with your dr before you stop drinking because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will get worse unless you stop. I hope you take a look around and read and learn.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to your story. Welcome to SR.

Mark
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome to SR.

You may not crave alcohol, as your body always has alcohol in it.

Glad you're here.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by After5 View Post
Please give me your thoughts and suggestions.
Welcome!!!

Quit drinking. Not cut back. Quit.

Do a little more reading here, start with the stickies.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome after5

New here too. Similar story - mine just started getting worse. No more fooling myself that what I was doing was okay.

I am scared to death of 'outing' myself to my family and friends, even more afraid of the thought that they may already know. How embarrassing!

But still.......better than death.

SB
Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Hi and Welcome,

Since alcohol is causing problems in your life, stopping drinking seems like a good solution. Cutting back doesn't usually work for alcoholics, but you should check with your dr before you stop drinking because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.
Can you elaborate ? I'm not aware of this.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi After5

we have a thread here of members detox experiences - it's sometimes harrowing reading but it should explain why we take detox seriously here.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Detox is not always dangerous, but it can be.
The responsible thing to do is to see your doctor.

D
Old 11-11-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been where you are. I think you have an alcohol problem. Gradually you are increasing the amount you drink to get the same buzzed feeling. If you keep that up, imagine what you will be doing when you are 40 or 45. You are not getting any younger (none of us are) and at some point your body is going to start taking longer and longer to recover. When that happened to me I would have a beer in the morning to smooth over the rough edges from the night before. This is a progressive disease. It's a very slippery slope, and as you get older you will probably pick up speed on the way down. Sorry to be so blunt.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

After5 - Welcome to SR. Your story is mine, almost exactly.

My recommendation to decide if you are an alcoholic is as follows:

Try to have no more than 2 drinks in any one night and try not to drink more than 4 nights in a week. Do this for two weeks.

(And 2 drinks = 3 ounces of whiskey, not the two eight-ounce glasses I used to call two drinks)

Be honest with yourself. See how you do.

This will help you decide.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....

That buzz can be the death of your dreams.
Those end stage alcoholics had not intended
to buzz their lives away....

I sure hope you find your way to live sober.
It's been the wisest move I ever made.

Last edited by CarolD; 11-11-2009 at 11:15 PM.